FM Transmitter reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
I know the rule of thumb about the quality through the fm transmitter on either Sirius or XM, (especially in bigger cities). Last weekend, I traveled to Chicago from West Michigan, and before I left town I took my vehicle through a car wash. I always take off my car antenna before I go through so it does not get bent or come off and do damage to the car in the wash. After I did this I got better reception on all the frequencies through the FM transmitter on my XM roady 2. I also did not have to change the station or have any interference when I was in Chicago which is a real shocker because Chicago has a radio station on seemingly every other frequency. Anyway, I left the antenna off of my car so that I can continue to enjoy the crystal clear reception I now get on the FM transmitter, and wanted to pass this info along to others if they wish to try it. :)

Yes, this is true because now your FM head unit (and any antenna cable run) is only able to receive signals from about 5' - 10' thus the FM modulator is the only signal in range. For users with removable, non-motorised antenna, that is a nice idea.

joedekock said:
I know the rule of thumb about the quality through the fm transmitter on either Sirius or XM, (especially in bigger cities). Last weekend, I traveled to Chicago from West Michigan, and before I left town I took my vehicle through a car wash. I always take off my car antenna before I go through so it does not get bent or come off and do damage to the car in the wash. After I did this I got better reception on all the frequencies through the FM transmitter on my XM roady 2. I also did not have to change the station or have any interference when I was in Chicago which is a real shocker because Chicago has a radio station on seemingly every other frequency. Anyway, I left the antenna off of my car so that I can continue to enjoy the crystal clear reception I now get on the FM transmitter, and wanted to pass this info along to others if they wish to try it. :)

guess it took a rocket scientist from the midwest that if you take off the antennna that you no longer recieve ota stations.

ronfelder said:
guess it took a rocket scientist from the midwest that if you take off the antennna that you no longer recieve ota stations.

And I suppose the most intelligent one's have the smart-ass follow up remarks?

ronfelder said:

Guess it takes a rocket scientist to see that the actual point of the post was that his signal reception improved on his satellite radio.

How many people know that their car antenna will unscrew from it's base? I didn't for years, until I broke one. I thought they still had a large hollow bolt on the bottom that you had to put through a hole in the fender and tighten from the inside. Guess things have changed since I put that AM/FM, 8 track in the '67. Camero.

Joedekock, thank's for the tip. It beats using that cassette apdapter.

Last edited:
A couple of cars I've had have had their antennas embedded in either the windshield or side window, so this wouldn't have been an option.

I'm sure you guys have probably heard of the C. Crane transmitters with the adjustable transmission strength? They're pricey but they actually work. (For you and for the several cars around you, at least.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts