FNC large subscriber cost increase

Chris Walker, I have had to live with the left wing crap on CNN and the broadcast networks for more than 20 years. (the last part of this has been edited out to keep peace)

Ken you INSULT Liberals like me whenever say every other broadcast TV bit is Liberal. Do they ever show people like Amy Goodman or Thom Hartmann on those channels? No they don't. Nuff said. They're not Left Wing.
Just because something isn't unabashadly Right Wing does not make it Liberal. Also just to give someone an idea about how some people can automatically twist things if someone disagree them look at Harry Truman, they called the man "Give em' Hell" Harry and he said he just told them what he thought.

I guess I prefer having a choice of news to watch. Sometimes I watch FNC, sometimes CNN/HN and sometimes MSNBC. I would be saddened to see E* drop FNC over a relatively moderate price increase.

If nothing else, leave it in the AT180 and AEP packages where those of us who will pay more to see it can have it.

CPanther95 said:
A la carte sounds great, but the individual channel prices would skyrocket. ESPNs costs are currently $25.90 per sub and are expected to rise to $47.46 by 2009 (annually). That's $3.96 per sub, per month - in expenses - that's with 85 million subscribers. Estimates are that only about 20% of subs are regular viewers of ESPN. With expenses expected to climb to over $4 Billion by 2009, that would have to be recovered from only about 17 million subscribers or $19.61 per month from each sub - and that only covers expenses.

It's getting way out of control, and there's nothing in sight to indicate that it's not only going to get worse. So something needs to be done, but a hard shift to an a la carte system would likely crash the whole system. Then again, maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I actually agree with the bundling idea except follow the Canadians lead. Personally I could care less about ESPN for the most part and most Sports channels. In terms of Sports all I want is Karate and the Kumite and maybe Basketball so I'd buy ESPN2 a la carte. But I'd like to buy a movie, cartoon and maybe traditional channels package and I'd be set unless the news package is reasonable too. With that extra money I'd save I could get more International channels too.

GaryPen said:
Great Americans? Is that like "Silent Majority"? I'm sure McCarthy had a stupid catch phrase as well. Simplistic catch phrases are a major tool of right wingers, and totalitarian governments, as well.

Um, lets see-

"bush lied people died"
"bush was selected not elected"
"the minority has rights"
Chenny, haliburton
bush loves big oil
nuclear option
separation of church and state
right to privacy (that somehow includes killing a baby)
dissent
totalitarian government

They are called cliche's and your side is the ones that use them.

This about sums up the Bush administration:

fail.jpg

Hey Mutt - "Separation of church and state" is not a cliche. It is the cornerstone of a democratic government. When they are not separated, you end up with the Taliban. A Christian Taliban, perhaps. But, just as bad for a free society.

And, "right to privacy" is another cornerstone of a free and democratic society. Of course, a right to privacy has nothing to do with killing babies. Last time I checked, killing babies was still against the law, and hopefully will remain that way.

GaryPen said:
Hey Mutt - "Separation of church and state" is not a cliche. It is the cornerstone of a democratic government. When they are not separated, you end up with the Taliban. A Christian Taliban, perhaps. But, just as bad for a free society.

And, "right to privacy" is another cornerstone of a free and democratic society. Of course, a right to privacy has nothing to do with killing babies. Last time I checked, killing babies was still against the law, and hopefully will remain that way.

I agree with must of that. I actually believe in "seperation of church and state". As should most Christians. After all, as a Southern Baptist, I don't want a fervent Catholic gov't, and I'm sure the Catholics don't want a vervent Southern Baptist gov't.
As for "right of privacy", yes that is a cornerstone. But it has nothing to do with abortion or killing babies. That was a reach in reasoning of the court. You could just as easily argue that beating your wife is a matter of privacy if done in your own home. In my opinion, Roe/Wade should have used different reasonings in it's justification as opposed to "privacy".
A lot of people belive the difference between abortion and killing babies is a matter of inches, especially in the later months.

btw, what was the original point of this thread? Oh yeah, FNC raising it's rates.
I notice all the arguments become complaints about thier right-ward leanings. Yet no ones complains that CNN (who tends to tilt the otherway, just look at it's founder) currently charges twice as much as FNC, yet only gets half the audience.
OLN is pulling it's stunt without an audience to justify it, but in FNC's case, they have years of data to shown they are underpaid compared to it's direct compitition.

GaryPen said:

I know this is a moot point. I don't drink alcohol but one thing I don't agree with is banning the sale of alcohol on sunday. Here in Indiana it is illegal to sell alcohol on Sunday unless your establishment also sells a certain percentage cooked food.

Now if you can give me just one reason why that is illegal without bringing up anything religious. I'll agree with you and say ok we have separation of church and state.

And then there is the whole ban of gay mariage thing. That's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Sarang said:
I actually agree with the bundling idea except follow the Canadians lead. Personally I could care less about ESPN for the most part and most Sports channels. In terms of Sports all I want is Karate and the Kumite and maybe Basketball so I'd buy ESPN2 a la carte. But I'd like to buy a movie, cartoon and maybe traditional channels package and I'd be set unless the news package is reasonable too. With that extra money I'd save I could get more International channels too.

If ESPN became a la carte, Karate would be on ESPN, not ESPN2. In fact, ESPN2 would likely become ESPNtoo and simply be a west coast simulcast of ESPN. ;)

I seriously hope that you guys arguing against FNC because of ideology are being facetious. If that becomes the benchmark for carriage, or for tier placement; CNN, Lifetime, Spike, Oxygen - or any channel with a fairly specific target audience will be next. If a channel that has an ideology that aligns with 50% of the population is considered "fringe", channels geared to minorities or alternate lifestyles don't have a chance.

I probably have 10 customers that when they signed up would have gone with AT60 but up graded to AT120 just to get Fox News. Personally I would like to see all programming go al-carte per channel.

As much as I disagree with FNC's obvious political slant, and feel they shouldn't be allowed to present themselves as a "news" network any more than Air America should be able to do the same, I certainly feel that they should be allowed to continue on Dish or any other service, as long as it's financially feasible. $1/sub is just too much. That's a 400% increase.

Perhaps at least a parity with CNN, especially if that .60 is for CNN and CNN HN. Perhaps FNC will be happy with inclusion in AT60 at a lower rate? More subs mean more $$$. (Or, the $1 is just for shock value. Fox could be using the oil company strategy. Raise gas prices 100%, then back off 20%, and the people are so greatful to be getting it in the rear, now that they're not thrusting so hard. )

Most of the industry "experts" had pegged FNC at approx. $1.15 at the next contract. There's no question that the market value significantly exceeds CNN (even with CNN HN) regardless of how you may personally value the channel.

GaryPen said:
As much as I disagree with FNC's obvious political slant, and feel they shouldn't be allowed to present themselves as a "news" network any more than Air America should be able to do the same, I certainly feel that they should be allowed to continue on Dish or any other service, as long as it's financially feasible. $1/sub is just too much. That's a 400% increase.

Perhaps at least a parity with CNN, especially if that .60 is for CNN and CNN HN. Perhaps FNC will be happy with inclusion in AT60 at a lower rate? More subs mean more $$$. (Or, the $1 is just for shock value. Fox could be using the oil company strategy. Raise gas prices 100%, then back off 20%, and the people are so greatful to be getting it in the rear, now that they're not thrusting so hard. )

CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS are more slanted to the left than FNC is slanted to the right.

Unfortunately, we're a very small part (by choice) of determining what the market will bear. Unless we cut down to the most basic tier, or go OTA only (which I equate with selling all earthly possesions and buying a log cabin in Montana) we will get nickel & dimed (& dollared) to death as time goes on.

E* & OLN's resolution will be very telling. You'd expect Fox News to have the clout to hammer out a favorable deal - however, if E* bends for OLN, at what channel would you expect them to draw the line? OLN is already about $0.30 and they've stated that they expect it to rise as high as $0.60 shortly. If that happens, what do you think TNT, TBS, Nick, Cartoon, Spike, USA & Lifetime will be asking for next go around?

jimboeau said:
CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS are more slanted to the left than FNC is slanted to the right.
Wow. I thought conservatives didn't do drugs. That's one of the most incorrect statements I've ever read.

The only broadcast network that even comes close to the level of political slant of FNC is Air America. And, they are just a fledgling radio network. Of course, they don't pretend to be a "fair and balanced" source of news, either.

GaryPen said:
Wow. I thought conservatives didn't do drugs. That's one of the most incorrect statements I've ever read.

The only broadcast network that even comes close to the level of political slant of FNC is Air America. And, they are just a fledgling radio network. Of course, they don't pretend to be a "fair and balanced" source of news, either.
hmmmm I guess you think Dan The Man really didnt make up those memoes!!!