Food For Thought...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup which is why I posted this in the DISH area. :D

I have a feeling there are going to be a few surprises late next week. :)

Hmm, you're using an awful lot of smiley icons in this thread... What do you know? :)

I got my 811 in December '03, I have no 2nd dish installed. I did recently have a local station pop up on 61.5, sounds like I should take them up on it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am impressed, very good thinking everyone!

I could see Dish doing #4 and sharing / renting space with VOOM.

I could see them working a deal so common HD channels such as Bravo HD, Cinemax HD, The Movie Channel HD, Starz HD, Encore HD, and TNT HD would be available to both Dish and VOOM customers.

I could see VOOM renting space from Dish to open up service more on the West Coast.

I believe it could be possible for VOOM to broadcast their channels in both NDS and Niagra modes by broadcasting two seperate data streams.

A partnership between both companies would be good for both companies. And doing it as quick as possible would also help both out. Most of Dish Networks customers still have Dish's pointed at 61.5 or 148.

It's a Win Win all around.

Lets hear your comments.
Ahhh! Just as I've been saying for the past couple of weeks. Looks like my source was reliable, after all. It feels good to be proven right, hehe. :D;):yes:D
Glad I have my 61.5 dish up!!!

I think it is most likely going to be used for locals for the smaller markets or markets that have more locals on the wings than other markets but would like to see Dish get with Voom as well.

I am not sure where you folks come up with this theory that Echostar will "team-up" with Rainbow DBS. There is NO public evidence. As a matter of fact, Rainbow's recent filing seems to prove otherwise.

So, we have hardcopy evidence on one hand that it isn't likely Rainbow DBS has any plans to partner with E*...while on the other we have pure speculation.

cameron119 said:
I am not sure where you folks come up with this theory that Echostar will "team-up" with Rainbow DBS. There is NO public evidence. As a matter of fact, Rainbow's recent filing seems to prove otherwise.

So, we have hardcopy evidence on one hand that it isn't likely Rainbow DBS has any plans to partner with E*...while on the other we have pure speculation.

The rumors of this has been around from the time of the Dish/Directv merger. Right now you have a company with millions of subscribers without much HDTV content and a company with tons of HDTV content and almost no subscribers. Marry the two via joint venture or even aquisition and both companies can win. Dish gets tons of content without having to acquire more satellite space and VOOM gets some $$ from every HD dish sub. What if they were to announce a new HD VOOM pack for Dish subs where you could get the "exclusive" voom channels?

To fuel the rumors:
Remember it was reported that Charlie and Dolen was meeting right before x-mas time.
Also Voom is splitting up Rainbow DBS and Rainbow programing which is producing the special HD channels that Voom has and if I remember the rules if you offer it to one you have to offer it to others if it delivered a certain way kind of like InHD has to be offered to Sat.providers(they must come to terms of course)and how Comcast's RSN in Philly does not because of how its delivered.

There was also a headline at satbiznews.com on Wednesday, 12 May. It states:

ECHOSTAR INKS SATELLITE CAPACITY AGREEMENT WITH TELESAT

The question now is what kind of satellite capacity? Is it DBS, where Telesat controls DBS slots 129 and 138, which are empty and devoid of satellites? Or is it FSS capacity, of which Echostar has a lot?

I suggested that Dish and Voom work together quite some time ago. But the Voomers jumped on my idea. Seems they didn't like the idea of Dish or Directv owning them. I think that Dish could contract with Voom for all hd content and that Voom could contract to use Dish's sd content( like Sci Fi channel and others ) and the 148 sat for the west coast.

Voom should be a hd content provider for both satellite services. Then both Dish and Directv could use them and not have to squeeze any more of their own bandwith for high def. Voom could concentrate on making their hd service the best hd service by adding all the hd content out there . Voom could still sell it's service as a total satellite service for those who want it by renting the box like they do now and be a addon service for both Dish and Directv. This would surely keep Voom a float if both sat providers are paying them for hd content. It wouldn't be hard for both sat companies to add a second dish for hd , like Dish had been doing.

Everyone would win. :D

VOOM Spun off

Maybe that's why the parent company is cutting VOOM. Possible merger.

This sound like the most feasible. Why would we need another DBS company? How could VOOM possibly compete with Direct or Dish.....

The idea of Dish Network becoming a landlord is actually a good one. As is the thought of Dish sharing spectrum with VOOM for the common HD channels, I belive the FCC would be happy IF this were to actually happen.

I know for a FACT Charlie has been to VOOM, and I know for a FACT that people from VOOM have been in Denver meeting with DISH.

Now those are the only facts we actually know. The rest is idle speculation.

But it is fun to speculate. Its almost like thinking what would you do if you won the lottery, what you would spend your money on. :)

MikeD-C05 said:
I think that Dish could contract with Voom for all hd content and that Voom could contract to use Dish's sd content( like Sci Fi channel and others ) and the 148 sat for the west coast.

Unless Voom (Rainbow) actualy owned the content, they wouldn't have the right to offer it to Dish. The only thing they would be able to offer is the Rainbow-owned stuff. I think Dish already airs all of the Rainbow SD channels, such as AMC, IFC, and WE.

The only HD that would come out of a Dish-Voom deal would be the Voom HD Originals, such as Rush, Rave, Monsters, Animania, etc. They would make a nice addition to the HD Pack, especially if there was no, or minimal, increase in price.

Personally, I'd prefer Bravo-HD, TNT-HD, and West Coast feeds of HBO-HD (6pm is a little early for the Sopranos), before any of the Rainbow channels. But, I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth!

BTW, what will they name this alliance, DOOM?

marko said:
That many people really have a dish pointed at 61.5 and 148?
While few E* subs have two other dishes pointing at both side sats like I do, I'm sure you would be alright if you were just looking at one of the side sats. Besides most of the larger DMAs still have some locals on of these sats at the moment.

I would love to see a merger or a take over or a trade out, but I don't think it will happen. I hope I am wrong though. Not to mention if it did happen. THe FCC would have to approve it and that can take a significant amount of time. Not to mention the time it would take to get the data stream up and running, and testing time before the release to make sure everything will go smoothly. IT could take up to a couple of years. In that time I would think Dish would be behind everyone in the HD content department by miles. Just my opinion though

GaryPen said:
The only HD that would come out of a Dish-Voom deal would be the Voom HD Originals, such as Rush, Rave, Monsters, Animania, etc. They would make a nice addition to the HD Pack, especially if there was no, or minimal, increase in price.

Personally, I'd prefer Bravo-HD, TNT-HD, and West Coast feeds of HBO-HD (6pm is a little early for the Sopranos), before any of the Rainbow channels. But, I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth!

Not necessarily. I think if Dish had the bandwidth we'd already have CinemaxHD, StarzHD, etc. If the channels become available to Dish subs (via Voom), Dish could then negotiate with the prespective companies to carry them.

(though I still think a Dish-Voom deal is a long shot)

Not up on the exact law, but THey get a right to rebroadcast the programming. If they entered into a merger with another company they become one in the same. Wouldn't that give them the right to broadcast it there as well.

Earlier this year I read where dish network was trying to fit 3 HD channels per transpoder. What ever happend with that? Did it work? If it did they would have room for a few more channels and not need the voom space. That might tie them over until the next spot beam satellite goes up later this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)