Food HD now Mirrors SD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davhamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
For those that care...It seems that Food Network HD is now mirroring the SD channel. Non HD shows seem to be stretch-o-vision. But there is quite a bit of HD content.

Horray for progress. Well, not in this case I guess. Kudos to Scripps for at least trying to be a true HD channel company for the past few years. I guess the lure of easy stretch-o-vision filler was too much to bare.

From a quick glance last night, even some shows that were marked (HD) appeared to have that nasty stretch-more-at-the-outside stretching going on.

Have all the Fine Living and DIYNet programs disappeared with the change?

As of now they are gone. As i and others have said, it is like we lost 2 channels. Unless hgtv runs a special diynet program on the hgtv sd channel, you wont see those programs on the hgtv hd channel anymore.:mad:
Prepare for a bunch of sd upconverts.

They're even doing my favorite kind of stretch-o-vision... stretching a letterboxed widescreen show (Ace of Cakes). Has noone ever found the "Zoom" button on their multimillion dollar broadcast processing systems?

They're even doing my favorite kind of stretch-o-vision... stretching a letterboxed widescreen show (Ace of Cakes). Has noone ever found the "Zoom" button on their multimillion dollar broadcast processing systems?

Watched part of a "Good Eats" show the other night... there was a "ticker" running (right to left) across the screen at one part of the show... it moved really quickly coming in from the right side.. then slowed down in the middle, then sped back up on the left side... I just had to shake my head...

I detest stretch-o-vision... I'd rather see it unstretched and do the zoom myself instead of their funhouse-mirror version.

I detest stretch-o-vision... I'd rather see it unstretched and do the zoom myself instead of their funhouse-mirror version.

Unfortunately, 80% of viewers are retarded and have no clue that they are in fact retarded, so when theses networks allegedly poll viewers they get the "viewers prefer 4:3 stretched" result.

/WHERE THERE BEING BLACK BARS UP THE SIDE OF MY HD-TEEVEE!!!

That hasn't stopped all 4 major networks from broadcasting in 4:3 pillarboxed. I don't know why the cable outfits think they are doing anything useful by ruining their older programming.

DAMN YOU SCRIPPS!

I'm actually all for simulcast schedules. Just don't ruin the SD programming with stretch-o-vision.

Do you know good The Simpsons looks on an HD local channel? The colors are so vibrant. And they don't wreck it by stretching, at least not on my locals. (We did have an NBC channel that stretched for a while, but they stopped.)

Just put HD up if you have it, leave it alone if you don't! That's all I want out of HD channels.

DAMN YOU SCRIPPS!

I'm actually all for simulcast schedules. Just don't ruin the SD programming with stretch-o-vision.

Do you know good The Simpsons looks on an HD local channel? The colors are so vibrant. And they don't wreck it by stretching, at least not on my locals. (We did have an NBC channel that stretched for a while, but they stopped.)

Just put HD up if you have it, leave it alone if you don't! That's all I want out of HD channels.

Agreed, plus last nite in the guide for food hd, from like 8pm onward nothing showed as hd programming! I think they really messed up by combining the channels. Hopefully they will go back to how it was.( I doubt it though)

What really got me, was I was watching Ace of Cakes, which is actually shot in HD... On the HD channel, they have it in letterbox stretch-o-vision....

That just looks so lovely....

What really got me, was I was watching Ace of Cakes, which is actually shot in HD... On the HD channel, they have it in letterbox stretch-o-vision....

That just looks so lovely....

When did they start filming ace of cakes in hd?
I know it has only been filmed in sd widescreen

Last edited:
Apparently they went to the A&E School of Broadcast Engineering...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts