Food Network, HGTV to Simulcast SD&HD - 3/31

best news i've read all day. and no reason why it shouldn't effect directv as well since it was addressed in the news release.

I think this is changing the programming scheduals on the current channles to similcast the sd version. I dont think these are new channles launching. IF this is the case then both providers allready have these channles.

I think this is changing the programming scheduals on the current channles to similcast the sd version. I dont think these are new channles launching. IF this is the case then both providers allready have these channles.

I think you are correct. However, I actually see this as a negative thing.
We actually had "two" different Food Network channels and "two" different HGTV channels when they had different schedules.( Which is almost always) Now not only will we lose that, but the chances that we will see upconverted SD on Food-HD/HGTV-HD are now much higher. The HD only format of these two channels was sort of like 2 bonus channels.

We will also lose the Fine Living shows that where on HGTV HD in unless they are planning on launching a Fine Living HD Channel. From 24/7 HD to less then 12 hours a day in HD is down grade to me.

As far as I see it, the HD channels that we currently have is all old material with very little if any new. Maybe now we will get new programs in HD, like House Hunters.

I think there will be both positive and negative aspects.

There will probably be some upconverted-SD programming. :(

But, there will probably also be more new HD programming. :)

I think there will be both positive and negative aspects.

There will probably be some upconverted-SD programming. :(

But, there will probably also be more new HD programming. :)

Exactly. I'm down for that though. I'm glad they didn't do this at launch, but now there should be more HD, so this is good. Besides, I can watch (upconvert) SD if it's on an HD channel.... but then again that is just my neurotic logic! :eureka

I was waiting for this. It seemed like Scripps [Networks Interactive after the split] wasn't getting the message. I can now know that we will be getting Iron Chef America...in HD! (At a decent time each Sunday, too.)

I was waiting for this. It seemed like Scripps [Networks Interactive after the split] wasn't getting the message. I can now know that we will be getting Iron Chef America...in HD! (At a decent time each Sunday, too.)

Or more likely in upconverted SD. I don't think they're taping in HD.

This is good news. My wife love's the food network but most of the shows she watches are not on the HD channel and if they are they are old ones that she has seen.

I hate to be stupid about this, however if it is a simulcast and the program is in hd would we receive it in hd?

Only if you have a HD receiver. What the annoucement means is that instead of doing a four hour (I think) wheel that rebroadcasts the same HD shows over and over again, they will be broadcasting the same shows you see on SD on the HD broadcast. If the show is in HD then we will get it on the HD channel. IF the show was first done in SD then it will be upconverted to the HD channel.

This is a good thing for us. I get tired of watching the same shows over and over, I need more ideas for the house.:D

On the next Dinner Impossible, Chef Robert Irvine has four hours to provide HD locals to 100 DISH Network markets and add enough national HD channels to restore DISH's status as "The HD Leader." :hungry:

I know he can do it. He's never failed to come through!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)