For those in SW michigan, WWMT is on Charter

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
WWMT has appeared on charter cable, but not to people with a cable box. For those with a QAM tuner, tune to channel 104-3. Hopefully only a matter of time before they add it officially.

SatinKzo said:
WWMT has appeared on charter cable, but not to people with a cable box. For those with a QAM tuner, tune to channel 104-3. Hopefully only a matter of time before they add it officially.

If you are seriouse, then I am jumping ship with Directv to get Charter!

I am serious, but right now only to those witha QAM tuner, not a cablecard or STB. If you have a QAM tuner, try 104-3, it used to be WGVU/Nat PBS feed, now it is WWMT and PBS is nowhere to be found.

For those that need clarification Obviously I meant the Digital/HD feed from WWMT, not the analog channel 3 stuff.

SatinKzo said:
I am serious, but right now only to those witha QAM tuner, not a cablecard or STB. If you have a QAM tuner, try 104-3, it used to be WGVU/Nat PBS feed, now it is WWMT and PBS is nowhere to be found.

For those that need clarification Obviously I meant the Digital/HD feed from WWMT, not the analog channel 3 stuff.

I understand that you mean the digital WWMT channel.

What is a QAM tuner?

I have a friend who lives in Grand Rapids and has Comcast. He has been complaining to Comcast and WWMT for about two years now. (He has written three letters to each of them). The reason WWMT is not broadcasting their HD signal with any providers is because they feel that those provides are "selling" their channel to their subscribers, when the FCC says that they cannot sell the service because they are a over-the-air broadcaster. So they wanted a piece of the pie. The providers try telling them again and again that just because they include their channel in a HD tier or package, does not mean per say that they are seeking compensation for the channel, but the bandwith it is using on their network.

Must be some legalities got worked out.

I hope that this means directv will have it as part of their HD locals when they get around to our DMA this year. I want to watch the AFC and College basketball games in HD next year!

QAM is the modulation that many cable companies use to send channels to you (I can post the very technical or post a link, but it's just the way they get the signal to you over the cable lines)
Many cable companies put some (usually locals due to FCC regulations) "in the clear" on their system and encrypt the premiums (STB needed)

Trust me, if you have a QAM tuner, WWMT is on 104-3 on charter. Not the STB or cable card. WGVU sat like this for a month or so then got replaced by wwmt.

I know all about what you are saying and have heard the rhetoric many times from both sides, all I can say is it looks like maybe charter and WWMT are close to an agreement and charter is testing their signal, just not making it available to anyone with an addressable STB or cable card.

Just so you get a better idea, here are the locals I get and their QAM channel numbers, I get all of these with my basic $11 package

100-3 WOTV DT
100-4 WXSP
102-1 WOOD DT
102-3 WZZM DT
102-4 Wood weather
102-5 WZZM weather
104-2 WXMI DT
104-3 WWMT DT (used to be WGVU)

There are a handful of other ones in the clear too, but since this discussion is about locals, I will keep it at that.

so if I subscribe to their $11 package, and connect the coax into my Satellite HD tuner, I would get these channels by tuning to the channel number you listed? :confused:

No, your satellite tuner is not a QAM tuner.

There are PC cards that handle it, STB that handle it. For example, I use an LG LST4200a.

Here's a PC card that handles it
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp130.asp
Read up a bit there or just google QAM and cable tv and you'll get the idea.

I can't find a good link for the 4200, but LG makes some quality DVR QAM boxes, I also believe they made a DVD player with QAM deocder in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts