For those of you with no OTA options waiting for HD DNS

waltinvt said:
Check this out:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=485858&postcount=1
Looks like the FCC has once again caved to the NAB.
Tell me, how many of you that have been pulling your hair out trying to get digital nets OTA agree that we don't need a digitial specific prediction model and that the old Longley-Rice analog method is just fine ?:mad:
Oh man does this stink of bribery and incest. I'm so tired of these jerks making rules that have no basis in logic. I'm 120 miles away from Washington DC with 2 mountain chains between us. There is no way I can get an analog signal let alone a weak digital signal. With the exception of the DC CBS station, I was refused permission to get distant locals because they say, they serve my area. Hogwash.....not once have I heard any news regarding my area in Pa. Altoona, which is much closer than DC to me, does cover my area for the news but its not my DMA. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.
BTW, I have contacted my Congressman, and Senators regarding this issue with no results.

kpc007 said:
Oh man does this stink of bribery and incest. I'm so tired of these jerks making rules that have no basis in logic. I'm 120 miles away from Washington DC with 2 mountain chains between us. There is no way I can get an analog signal let alone a weak digital signal. With the exception of the DC CBS station, I was refused permission to get distant locals because they say, they serve my area. Hogwash.....not once have I heard any news regarding my area in Pa. Altoona, which is much closer than DC to me, does cover my area for the news but its not my DMA. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.
BTW, I have contacted my Congressman, and Senators regarding this issue with no results.

Just ignore their stupid rules and "move"

jimboeau said:
Just ignore their stupid rules and "move"
Unfortunately.....moving is NOT an option. I'll just wait to see what happens between Dish and Direct. Whoever is first with the HD locals/nationals then they'll will get my business. I still think the FCC is run by the NAB instead of the people. Hell, all we got is votes. Not worth much these days........

Yes it stinks, but I've said since the beginning of this mess that the FCC should use the old analog white areas as a starting point for digital, of course I live in a genuine analog white area so in my case it works (even if it didn't, my local ABC, CBS NBC and Fox have already agreed to grant me digital waivers :eek: ) . My sincere sympathy to all of you caught in the NAB's digital hell.

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
Yes it stinks, but I've said since the beginning of this mess that the FCC should use the old analog white areas as a starting point for digital, of course I live in a genuine analog white area so in my case it works (even if it didn't, my local ABC, CBS NBC and Fox have already agreed to grant me digital waivers :eek: ) . My sincere sympathy to all of you caught in the NAB's digital hell.

NightRyder

And you were right but the big question is will Dish use it ?

This method has never (per FCC fact sheet) gone away. But dispite Congress's stipulation in SHVERA that the FCC investigate and possibly come up with a more appropiate digital prediction model by this December, they (the FCC) just announced this past week that the old analog method is apparently "good enough" for digital too. It's a provable fact that the Longely Rice method is not accurate for my area and I suspect many others too. Besides, even if you can get a borderline analog signal, it has absolutly nothing to do with if you can receive (or if they even provide) a digital signal.

Anyway, as I understand from the many threads in the avs group, "D" wouldn't use any prediction model for qualifing their HD DNS at first and I'm still not sure if they do now. "D" was strictly O&O or waivers and nothing else.

"E" removed their dns qualification quite a while ago and I still couldn't find it today. Well it's kind of there but it really doesn't work - it just loops back that you qualify for LiLs.

I wish someone would jump in here and explain to us woodchucks just what Dish could legally do for HD DNS qualifing so we can compare it to what they decide to do.

Me too! So again...

Dear Santa Charlie: I want my Washington, DC HD locals for Christmas!

I already have my 61.5 dish and I have been a very good boy.

--Doug

waltinvt said:
And you were right but the big question is will Dish use it ?

I would hope so, E* has always been more willing to push (or exceed :D ) the legal limits on DNS than D*.

Statements by Charlie indicate that E* isn't going to try to follow D* aggressive HD LIL program, so it will be in E* best interest to cover as many subscribers as they can with the fewest HD networks, IMO that gives E* extra incentive to use the most liberal interpetation of the law that they can.

waltinvt said:
I wish someone would jump in here and explain to us woodchucks just what Dish could legally do for HD DNS qualifing so we can compare it to what they decide to do.

Same here.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts