For those who would like to Track AMC14

Maybe Charlie bought it, to use it by end of May for EA. Then get a few months out of it and in the meantime move another sat over to 61.5. Hey I don't think this sounds too stupid. There's no other use of the damn thing anyways.

I don't know if it's real or not, but Heaven's Above is showing significant changes in the orbit of AMC-14, for the first time that I can remember.

The Perigee Height now shows as 1,146 km, vs. about 777 km previously, and the Inclination at 46.4 degrees, vs. the former 49 degrees or so. Is there hope that AMC-14 may live in the end?

I just noticed that too. Certainly is the biggest change that I've seen since the launch. Good news??? Maybe.

In other thread it was mentioned US Gov took control over the AMC-14 a week ago - anybody have a link to that announce ?

DoD is interested but i do not believe that a sale has been announced. For one thing there is some speculation that DoD is not allowed to purchase it. BTW if DoD purchases it it is unclear if they will try to get it to the original planned orbit or use it for other purposes in an inclined orbit.

I guess the advantage to SES AMericom would be that it would not wind up at the original orbit and then purchased or leased by DISH.

I also gotta laugh that Lockheed forgot to renew their license for their satellite ground station last year ...duh...not good to be operating illegally with a big Antenna like that ;)

poor satellite is jinxed

It's not just legal mishap, but deadly dangerous for ppl around - almost 2 megawatts steady signal; you can cook any brain in 6 miles radius, if the antenna will be pointed to houses.

Hmmm. Near geo. Fast. Must = little fuel left. Rapid testing of antennas? Quick, short term operational use?

Nosy busybodies want to know!

Somebody MUST be trying to get it into geo orbit, whatever the reason is, and whoever is doing it...this is REALLY interesting!

Even the inclination is 200% better than a week ago. The question is WHY are they doing this???

Only reason I can see to do this is to test the phased array antenna. Perhaps they calculate a few months worth of fuel before they have to send it to the parking orbit.

Only reason I can see to do this is to test the phased array antenna. Perhaps they calculate a few months worth of fuel before they have to send it to the parking orbit.

Makes sense. It won't matter anyways, to play with it a little before junking it. Actually what a shame..There's actually nothing wrong with it.

There was a time when the orbit came pretty close to the Earth, but shuttle time is likely scheduled past the end of the current shuttle program as it is.

Still would have been impossible for the shuttle to approach it, it would fly right on by, the shuttle would have to match its orbit to be able to pull along side...