Ford to drop AM radio in new vehicles

Translation: The gummint has invested a lot of money in various systems using AM and doesn’t want to get with the program.

“The truth is that broadcast AM radio the buggy whip is irreplaceable.”

- Most people I know under 40 could not tell you how to turn on the FM, let alone AM radio in their cars, nor could they tell you what format any local radio station is.

- My current car (22 Audi) makes a half-a**ed effort at AM. It has one, but the reception is awful.

- In my area, and I think this is typical across the country, all of the AM stations that have a serious format have been given an FM repeater. The problem is the FM repeater has about a third of the power of a regular radio station. Its fine, in town, but fades much more quickly and does not get out to the suburbs.

- In my area, which does not have a large Hispanic population (Spanish language material often is on AM), the only AM stations of any merit are one with ESPN Radio and one with Fox Sports radio and one with Bloomburg stock quotes (all of which are on SXM or streaming) and two talk stations, one national talkers that are also on streaming, and one with mostly local talkers and the local baseball team. Other than an occasional ball game I never even think about AM.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
The problem is the FM repeater has about a third of the power of a regular radio station.
Your math is fuzzy. Translators max is 250 watts. Most stations are way more powerful than 750 watts ;)

Its fine, in town, but fades much more quickly and does not get out to the suburbs.
I guess it depends on where the translator is located (height wise) and how crowded the band is on and near that frequency. We have 2 AM/FM translators and one of them gets out a good 35 miles no issues. The other one cuts out about 30 miles away.
In Minneapolis some of the FM translators (used to feed HD stations) can get over 40 miles away.

I see AM usage for local traffic alerts and maybe event or weather info. Mostly, Talk Radio. Don’t pay attention to any of it.

But the government could change these out, except Talk Radio, and replace with small FM.

Think how many years ahead Ford & other legacies place buys for radios. Congress can’t get AM in Ford etc for years.

AM is terrible, I'm surprised it's still even around. I can't tell you the last time I was on an AM station. 100+ year old technology that's woefully outdated.

Reactions: Don in CT
You mean you DON’T have AM stereo? :imshocked

Heck, reminds me of “HD” digital radio, which really seems to exist to benefit one company. We should go with Europe on a worldwide digital standard.

There are so many sources of electronic “noise” around that AM reception was always training your brain to learn to ignore the various snaps, crackles, buzzes, and hums. Add to this the increase in high-voltage switching circuits that you’ll be sharing the road with, and AM stations are being jammed out of existence.

Now, people are used to digital audio which is usually free of noise and distortion, and have less tolerance to anything that interferes with what they’re listening to, usually streamed via their mobile device.

But I’m enough of a dinosaur that I remember radios with the CD triangles on the tuning dial…

But I’m enough of a dinosaur that I remember radios with the CD triangles on the tuning dial…
conelrad.jpg

These decisions cannot be easily (quickly) reversed. I suspect automotive entertainment systems (can’t just call them radios- they’re much more), like many (most?) automotive components, are ordered years in advance.

Plus, time is needed to devise shielding (for those units needing it) and antennas, wiring, etc. Design takes time, even to put back what was taken.

I suspect the pollies are playing to the crowd. Most of which will say “DILLIGAS!”

So are most people getting sports or talk radio from Sat radio these days?
Even sat radio is an older technology. I have it, and would not have a car without it, but I'm old. Kids today seem to use streaming services, even for talk radio. I certainly think most that are more into music do so.

To be talk, sports or politics, breaks down into local and national. While you can get most good national talkers (some of the best politics talkers remain just on AM) local material is still produced by local stations.

Some people like the ESPN Radio/Fox Sport Radio type stuff, which is from a national perspective. Same with national politics.

But there are also people who want local discussions. In sports that is, local colleges, the local pro teams in depth, even high schools. In politics, that is the local scene (which generally effects your life more on a day to day basis). Now, you can stream most of that, but its kind of a chicken and egg thing. Without the AM station to make the content, its not going to exist to be streamed.

I keep forgetting about streaming in the car. That'd cover things pretty well as long as there is bluetooth, and not too rural. But most people aren't in the too rural.