Ford to drop AM radio in new vehicles

I think everybody here gets it, except for you.

The FCC has tons of rules, about what broadcasters are, and are not, allowed to do. It, yes, can broadcast whatever it wants, WITHIN THE LIMITS THE FCC HAS SET. Unlike, say, a book publisher, who can print anything it wants.
OK, it's time.

Again: We're talking CONTENT here, not rules of being a licensee. Do you have any qualifications to argue this? What are they? Where are you coming from and why can't you grasp the concept of the fact that WE as broadcasters decide ou own content....there are NO guidelines on content except keeping it (my words) public friendly.

If tomorrow I want to broadcast radically right, or radically left, that's MY choice as owner. There are NO checklists, no guidelines (aside from public decency) involved in being a licensed broadcaster WITH REGARD TO CONTENT.

Do we have to have working (but worthless) EAS? Yes. Do we have to keep logs to prove compliance with our (electronic) license? Yes. Do we need to have monitored automation if not in the station? YES.

...does this have ANYTHING to do with our conversation here about content and AM being removed from automobiles (and the rumor/conspiracy) that this removal has anything to do with politics on AM? NO, absolutely NOT. You don't seem to be able to separate topics properly, nor address the core issue brought up here. YES, we have regulations that affect our not hurting other broadcasters, paameters for our transmissions and our radiation, but the FCC does NOT intervene in programming unless there are complaints, and they have to be FORMAL complaints lodged for specific reason, usually repeated viloations of some kind of public decency standard.

THAT kind of involvement we can agree on. Beyond that, programming, thank GOD in this country is up to the operator. Period. IF that ever changes, our country will be in deep SH*T. I earned the right to be a broadcaster from years of moving up the ladder. With it comes the responsibility to program what I BELIEVE is good for my community and audience, even the extended internet audience...and in that, the FCC has no choice, comment, or intervention unless we do something that by community standards is unacceptable. Broadcasters are not polled as to what programming they air at the time of getting a license, nor at renewal. We're not "required" to cover any particular kind of programming or issues. It's all up to us as programmers and owners. Again, Thank the good Lord this is still true in this country.

AM being removed from vehicles has NOTHING to do with types of programming that conspiracy theorists think the government doesn't like which is where we began. Not worthy of any more replies here, and hopefully I've educated a few people along the way.

OK, it's time.

Again: We're talking CONTENT here, not rules of being a licensee. Do you have any qualifications to argue this? What are they? Where are you coming from and why can't you grasp the concept of the fact that WE as broadcasters decide ou own content....there are NO guidelines on content except keeping it (my words) public friendly.

If tomorrow I want to broadcast radically right, or radically left, that's MY choice as owner. There are NO checklists, no guidelines (aside from public decency) involved in being a licensed broadcaster WITH REGARD TO CONTENT.

Do we have to have working (but worthless) EAS? Yes. Do we have to keep logs to prove compliance with our (electronic) license? Yes. Do we need to have monitored automation if not in the station? YES.

...does this have ANYTHING to do with our conversation here about content and AM being removed from automobiles (and the rumor/conspiracy) that this removal has anything to do with politics on AM? NO, absolutely NOT. You don't seem to be able to separate topics properly, nor address the core issue brought up here. YES, we have regulations that affect our not hurting other broadcasters, paameters for our transmissions and our radiation, but the FCC does NOT intervene in programming unless there are complaints, and they have to be FORMAL complaints lodged for specific reason, usually repeated viloations of some kind of public decency standard.

THAT kind of involvement we can agree on. Beyond that, programming, thank GOD in this country is up to the operator. Period. IF that ever changes, our country will be in deep SH*T. I earned the right to be a broadcaster from years of moving up the ladder. With it comes the responsibility to program what I BELIEVE is good for my community and audience, even the extended internet audience...and in that, the FCC has no choice, comment, or intervention unless we do something that by community standards is unacceptable. Broadcasters are not polled as to what programming they air at the time of getting a license, nor at renewal. We're not "required" to cover any particular kind of programming or issues. It's all up to us as programmers and owners. Again, Thank the good Lord this is still true in this country.

AM being removed from vehicles has NOTHING to do with types of programming that conspiracy theorists think the government doesn't like which is where we began. Not worthy of any more replies here, and hopefully I've educated a few people along the way.
I agree with all you said....But I think this wouldnt be as big of an issue if it wasnt who owns 99% of those stations and what programing they play on there airwaves. Do you think its big news? or big money upset about there possible lost of the airways they own?

I agree with all you said....But I think this wouldnt be as big of an issue if it wasnt who owns 99% of those stations and what programing they play on there airwaves. Do you think its big news? or big money upset about there possible lost of the airways they own?
I think, and this is my opinion, that the "noise" issue of all-electric cars having AM came up somewhere in a laboratory for (some) manufacturers, and the easy way out was to pull it. The "big" people in broadcasting, like the NAB only got on board with trying to assist (AM) broadcasters when it became big enough of an issue to make THEM look good. The airwaves operated by the "big" players really have not done much in lobbying to make sure AM is kept in vehicles to the best of my knowledge BECAUSE they are deeply involved with entities like the NAB. The NAB speaks more to large stations than small ones. Large corporate owners are, however affected as I'll point out later.....

The "news" of this issue got big enough because of people like the owner of WRDN, Brian Winnekins, in Durand, Wisconsin taking it to his farm broadcasting partners. Farmers are known to rely on AM, and THOSE connections brought it to others, and the concern grew across the country with more and more articles about it. We need to be grateful, as an industry to him for his activism in this issue. Even our local TV-8 from Grand Rapids came to WION to discuss it with us. Eventually it made national headlines, and the attention of government officials who do what they always do...they held....drum roll please...A HEARING.

The ACTUAL issue(s) for AM broadcasters include: restriction of (our) trade. If, say 50 percent of our car manufacturers drop AM, they're restricting access to public airwaves that have been included in cars for decades....the same public airwaves that we, as broadcasters pay the FCC each year for the rights to use. In turn, those stations who stream because cars don't have AM anymore then will see increased fees in our streaming hours costing US more because of the car manufacturers decisions which force those who want to hear us to their phones and other devices.

If, as broadcasters we decide to stream (and many do not) we have to pay not only spectrum fees each year to the FCC, but also fees for streaming for any bumpers of music in and out of talk, and of course for all music played, plus bandwidth and distribution costs if applicable. If (certain) car manufacturers drop AM, then perhaps they should pay part of our fees as they increase, and...the FCC should consider lessening some of the regulatory (yearly) fees we pay to keep our licenses. It's a multi-faceted discussion with many people affected by the decision of "corporate America."

BTW, the hearing on AM being important in cars the government held was a JOKE. Almost everyone who spoke hung the argument on the need for "National Security" and the "Emergency Alert System" when FM also has this of course, and all the speakers did was use those popular buzzwords to look like they were informed legislators. They were NOT. You can see the pathetic effort here. One even called our industry, the "last defense" when other communcations fail, trying to help the (AM) industry. What a poor choice of words. I was screaming at the screen during the hearing.

The big broadcasters stand to lose just as we do. AM is still the top listened-to media or near it in markets with the blowtorch signals. Small broadcasters get hit the worst as the factors of cost, lost listenership, and loss of (participating) rated station "time spent listening" adds up. We can't just "fire" someone and report decreased stock value as money is lost like the big guys. We work with REAL checkbooks and REAL people who need jobs. Our options only include finding ways to increase revenue from existing advertisers, or cutting services to the public or internally that we find expendable as WE get h it with decisoins made FOR us but not in our best interest.

My personal curiosity as an owner in Michigan of a station is why Michigan's Gary Peters was AGAINST the idea of keeping AM in cars, as this headline came across my desk via some farming interests and organizations: The following headline was forwarded to me on July 27th.

"The Senate Commerce Committee cleared the AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act -- to ensure AM radios remain in passenger vehicles -- by voice vote in their session this morning. The only member voting ‘no’ to the passage was Senator Gary Peters (D-MI)."

Grateful it cleared. Hopefully the momentum continues. VERY curious why Senator Peters is against AM radio, and I believe I have a right to know, he bought advertising to GET ELECTED on my airwaves last time around, much to my dismay. I try to keep politicals off our airwaves, but...some we are unable to refuse.

I hope I've helped you a bit, thank you for being interested...and maybe I didn't hit the nail on the head with your question, but it affects all of us, big and small....just in different ways, and it should NOT be happening...the removal of AM in cars, that is.....as the issue, if ANY can be fixed as FORD already proved by saying they'd add-back the AM button with an over the air software update. The hybrid from Toyota has kept AM all these years, and some other "EVs" still have it, so the interfence argument is an excuse to not solve a problem.

Now, the issue of electric cars making more noise than allowed by FCC interference regulations on nearby radio recievers......THAT is a whole different ballgame and THAT fight ...I think...is yet to come.

Reactions: AZ.
I understand that some countries have dropped VHF, or lower VHF, TV broadcasting. IIRC, there is at least one country (in Scandinavia?) that has dropped AM.

Am I mistaken? Has AM been dropped in some countries?

I understand that some countries have dropped VHF, or lower VHF, TV broadcasting. IIRC, there is at least one country (in Scandinavia?) that has dropped AM.

Am I mistaken? Has AM been dropped in some countries?
Some have, some have gone "all digital". Other countries call it "medium wave" but, also remember that in most countries outside of the USA, the GOVERNMENT owns and operates the broadcasting, thus they make the decisions. Our country is rather unique in having privately owned and operated stations on AM and FM, and on TV....thus eliminating any of them is not as likely here. Every license of every kind in the USA means yearly dollars to the FCC, and for all the faults of the government, they DO understand the importance of our system. It still works, though big guys control much of the dial(s) especially in larger cities. It is unique that here, we apply for licensing, then we operate independently OF the Government IF we are doing things properly.

-thanks for replying.

Reactions: navychop
When I drive on vacation, sometimes I see road signs saying "Tune to AM frequency ______ for current road conditions". How are people going to do that in their new Fords?

But I guess the roadside transmitters will eventually be forced to switch to FM.

When I drive on vacation, sometimes I see road signs saying "Tune to AM frequency ______ for current road conditions". How are people going to do that in their new Fords?

But I guess the roadside transmitters will eventually be forced to switch to FM.
More likely, if we don't win the battle in my industry which NEEDS public voices....to keep AM in cars.... the services will go away. Just my opinion. FM is too crowded now, with LPFMs, Translators, (full disclosure, I have two translators)...and regular signals. I think, if we don't win this battle against corporate decisions, you will see those travel signals go away slowly as they die. They ARE licensed, but often the equipment is not kept up, and the quality of the "service" goes away. I think of places like our Michigan Mackinac bridge where warnings are put out on extra windy days, icy days, one-lane days, etc...and there'll have to be some solution. The FCC extended the AM band some years ago, but very few people took the opportunity to move to it, even with newer radios including the extension. The travel stations are near the ends of the band in most cases. I'd be hard pressed to remember even ONE legislator that brought up your point during the hearing. There may have been, but it was drowned out by buzzwords like "national security" and "EAS."

Reactions: navychop
More likely, if we don't win the battle in my industry which NEEDS public voices....to keep AM in cars.... the services will go away....
That would be disappointing if we lose roadside safety transmissions.

Another thing I think we need are satellite based SOS systems in cars. How many people have died while stranded on roads and out of cellular coverage? (OnStar is, of course, a SOS system but it is cellular based).

That would be disappointing if we lose roadside safety transmissions.

Another thing I think we need are satellite based SOS systems in cars. How many people have died while stranded on roads and out of cellular coverage? (OnStar is, of course, a SOS system but it is cellular based).
That's another $1000 added to the cost of a new car

iPhone 14s and 15s have the ability. So I think auto mfrs. could add it for much less.
The current implementation in iPhones isn’t automatic, you have to manually point at a satellite to communicate. Probably could be done though