Former Dish Net / New Customers Read This

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They just left and they put in a hr24/100 upstairs and I have a hr21/200 downstairs. Which one is better? The 24 is a better looking box then the other

the 24 is a better box from my experience and many others. i believe the processor is superior to its predecessors.

by the way welcome to the site manbearpig.watch out for Mr. Gore :-D

They just left and they put in a hr24/100 upstairs and I have a hr21/200 downstairs. Which one is better? The 24 is a better looking box then the other
The 24 is generally a faster box. As far as functionality beyond that goes, they are pretty much identical .

No, we have not used one, but 2 hoppers does not resolve my issues. Can I access both hoppers from my main TV? Can I access OTA? Do I want to spend $300 on two hoppers no

Hopper integration and OTA module are not here yet. If OTA is an issue, it is not time yet. Seeing and controlling both Hoppers from a main TV can be done now with a Joey. Instead of just a Joey, I use an extra Joey into a second HDMI port so that I can still use PIP when I want to - $7 mo for now is no big deal. 2Hopper/2Joey new customer price is $200 (for the extra Hopper).

Hey guys had some questions. I have been using Cox for the last probably 5 years for my Cable, Internet and Phone supplier. I live outside Oklahoma City. I've been ok with them so far. But I'm a tech guy and I've noticed the technology that Cox uses seems to be slipping further and further in the past. So I began to look at their new Whole Room DVR/Plus package and Trio guide system, and it looks ok... But reading on AVSForums I noticed some pretty horrible stories about the way the tech works and how wonky it is.

So I've began to look at DirecTV. The technology looks to be the best available that there is, the HD guide looks fantastic, (I'm a sucker for techy/flashy stuff) and the prices seem to just decimate what Cox can offer particularly for the first two years with the various promos DTV is running.

Here's my setup. I have 2 HDTV's and I want to have DVR's on both. The wife records tons of shows and she'd love to record more than two at once. So I'm looking at the HMC DVR because of the 5 tuner functionality. She currently beats her head in when she can only record 2 shows at once with our Cox box. I'd also probably be putting in the standard HD DVR Receiver in the bedroom as that will probably be more my TV and I'd like to have the ability to record, pause, rewind live TV which I don't think the whole room sub receivers can do. (This was an issue I had with Cox's whole room system) My question is, if I purchase these two receivers the HMC and the standard HD DVR, will the two communicate together/share programming (I.E. Can I record a show on the HMC and watch it on the HD DVR and vice versa) or are they separate autonomous units?

How is DirecTV's customer support? I've had very little luck with Cox's and they tend to screw things up before getting them fixed. The bedroom I'm putting the HD DVR into has had issues with the outlet before, is this something DirecTV will work on and it's included in the installation price?

I'm a bit worried of course about signal degradation, living in Oklahoma we do get some nasty storms and the occasional snow/ice for days. Is this still an issue or has it mostly been resolved?

How's the picture quality? I've heard it can be better than cable but wasn't sure if that was true or not.

If I think of anything else I'll try and post it up, but I'd appreciate some input from the guys who are using the service before I commit.

Hey guys had some questions. I have been using Cox for the last probably 5 years for my Cable, Internet and Phone supplier. I live outside Oklahoma City. I've been ok with them so far. But I'm a tech guy and I've noticed the technology that Cox uses seems to be slipping further and further in the past. So I began to look at their new Whole Room DVR/Plus package and Trio guide system, and it looks ok... But reading on AVSForums I noticed some pretty horrible stories about the way the tech works and how wonky it is.

So I've began to look at DirecTV. The technology looks to be the best available that there is, the HD guide looks fantastic, (I'm a sucker for techy/flashy stuff) and the prices seem to just decimate what Cox can offer particularly for the first two years with the various promos DTV is running.

Here's my setup. I have 2 HDTV's and I want to have DVR's on both. The wife records tons of shows and she'd love to record more than two at once. So I'm looking at the HMC DVR because of the 5 tuner functionality. She currently beats her head in when she can only record 2 shows at once with our Cox box. I'd also probably be putting in the standard HD DVR Receiver in the bedroom as that will probably be more my TV and I'd like to have the ability to record, pause, rewind live TV which I don't think the whole room sub receivers can do. (This was an issue I had with Cox's whole room system) My question is, if I purchase these two receivers the HMC and the standard HD DVR, will the two communicate together/share programming (I.E. Can I record a show on the HMC and watch it on the HD DVR and vice versa) or are they separate autonomous units?
I don't have more than the HR34, but AFAIK you can record from and view on any connected unit.

How is DirecTV's customer support? I've had very little luck with Cox's and they tend to screw things up before getting them fixed. The bedroom I'm putting the HD DVR into has had issues with the outlet before, is this something DirecTV will work on and it's included in the installation price?
I had them before a few years ago and just signed up recently again and so far they have been very responsive (even though their accounting department is pathetic) and have resolved any problems which is better than I thought they were back then. If you're looking for true excellence with any provider you will be disappointed.

I'm a bit worried of course about signal degradation, living in Oklahoma we do get some nasty storms and the occasional snow/ice for days. Is this still an issue or has it mostly been resolved?
I'm in Colorado and haven't had any problem except with real heavy snow that buries the dish and that's only been once since Feb. 1 when I signed up. Rain surprisingly hasn't bothered it at all, although we haven't had a real bad storm recently.

How's the picture quality? I've heard it can be better than cable but wasn't sure if that was true or not.
My expeience was with Comcast and DTV is light years better. In all honesty, though I started watching HDTV via OTA over 6 years ago and when Dish first came out with HD and it was all better before they started compressing everything so much, especially OTA.

If I think of anything else I'll try and post it up, but I'd appreciate some input from the guys who are using the service before I commit.

Surprised someone hadn't responded earlier, especiall with the recording question, but hope this helps.

Hi,
I've a directv dish that's fallow right now. My dealer who is also a friend carried my directv on his account as second receiver. I had to return it and lost the $150 I paid from perfect 10 when he cancelled. I do NOT want to lease. I am interested in starting my own subscription but heard that they will not activate OWNED equipment unless as a second receiver. Is this true or are there ways?

I'm sure this has been discussed before so if you can point me to the thread that is what I need,
thanks. C band pioneer and published author.
Tim Alderman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)