Former TIVO/Direct TV user.... I am moving to

YardApe

Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Dish and would like to learn what is the best DVR to ask for...

My TIVO/receiver is VERY cumbersome to use (stored program deletion/addition is very slow and cumbersome)... does Dish offer a fast receiver and DVR? What I mean by fast is quick channel changes and fast DVR program access and management...

The 501/508/510 are single tuner models that do down-and-dirty DVR tasks very well, and are very fast GUI-wise. They have a very mature OS and are nearly as stable, of late, as any PVR out there.

The 721 is a 2-tuner unit with a nice-looking but slightly more cumbersome interface, although response is quick (and it doesn't require a fee as do the 510/811/522/921). It still has some OS issues and quirks. Best bet? try to get a couple of 508's somewhere (out of production for a while, now).

I really missed the bells and whistles of Tivo when I went to my 501 508 and 721. Now that I am back with DTivo, I don't know how I survived without it. Good luck.

If you are still torn on which DISH PVR, post again with your specific needs, as in some categories the 721 is far superior to the 50X, and vice versa.

I'd really suggest the 721, it's lightning fast. I can scroll sideways through the guide while watching live video in the corner. I could scroll through 24 hours in probably 10 seconds... it's really fast.

The 721 has changed my TV life but be careful, it can be a real pain with some strange bugs popping up at the darnedest times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts