Former Voomer, HELP! w/ OTA Installation

ChadH

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Chicago
Hi Everyone! New to the forum...

On Wed. I had Dish installed. I was fortunate enough to be here when the installer came and immediately saw that the new switch did not have a UHF input. I also saw for the first time that 2 811's had a separate input for the OTA antenna so I did not have to continue to use the old V* STB for OTA. Not knowing about diplexers then, I did not try to hit up the installer for any so that I could have the OTA antenna installed at that time (probably would have charged me anyway). Also, as I researched the forums for the exact installation of the diplexers, I also learned that I had a powered Winegard antenna (looks like the GS-2200 but I did not take down the model number the last time I was on the roof).

I've also read about the DP-3020 combiner from Winegard and, here's where I get confused... The diplexers that I got from radio shack are also called "splitter/combiners” on the packaging. So my first question is, are the terms diplexer, splitter and combiner all used interchangeably? Do the terms depend on whether the components allow DC passing?

Since I have 2 811’s, I bought 4 diplexers, a standard splitter and 6-4’ coax cables. And now, because I need to get power to the antenna, I will either have to 1) Invest in a 12V DC power injector or 2) get the DP-3020 combiner and let one of the 811’s power the antenna or 3) purchase a non-amplified OTA antenna and use the components I already purchased. Is this correct?

So here’s where I get even more confused, according to the Winegard website, I cannot use a 12V injector with splitters or diplexers. So this installation is out. On the DP-3020 (I cannot find this product at all on the Winegard website), would I need one or two total? It’s kind of like a dual diplexer, right? So on the output of the switch, the 2 lines currently going to the two 811’s would be plugged into SAT IN 1 and SAT IN 2 on the combiner and the antenna would go to UHF IN… The REC 1 and REC 2 outs would go to the 811’s where I would use the radio shack diplexers at the STB’s and, therefore, I would only need 1 DP-3020 and I could return 2 diplexers to radio shack. Right? In this last case, could I use the old V* Motorola diplexers at the 811’s and return all 4 diplexers I bought? Finally, where can I get a DP-3020 (the only equipment leftover from V* is a Winegard power passing multiswitch)?

Sorry for the long posting and, although I’ve seen several discussions on this problem, I haven’t seen complete answers to the questions I have.

Thanks!

FYI: I'm on the 3rd floor of a condo building so installing 2nd lines to the 811's is pretty much out of the question...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)