Formula One on Voom?

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
How cool would that be! Right now only Speed channel broadcasts live F1 events. I don't think Bernie Ecclestone (F1 owner) would mind to have F1 on more than one channel in the US. As far as I know, F1 is looking for a way to expand F1 popularity here. Watching F1 in HD would be mind blowing!

I agree, but F1 racing is not really promoted well in this country. It is a form of racing that really appeals to the overseas markets a lot better than the USA. I am not saying that as a slight.

Don't they still hold a Grand Prix of Miami? Would be cool if TNTHD or even CBS or something could cover it, might cost less to do than an overseas race. Would it ever eclipse the popularity of NASCAR here? Doubt it. But F1 racing is fast pace, an HD camera mounted on a F1 car would provide a kick ass view.

Here we go again pooping on someone else's likes... there already is NBA, NFL, MLB, and NASCAR HD broadcasts (of course more of those don't hurt) I think Conjurer was proposing the idea of an event that has never been covered in HD before to see how it would look.

Dvlos said:
Here we go again pooping on someone else's likes... there already is NBA, NFL, MLB, and NASCAR HD broadcasts (of course more of those don't hurt) I think Conjurer was proposing the idea of an event that has never been covered in HD before to see how it would look.
ok then what about grade B level sports like NHL, MLS. If Voom thinks that people are going to tune in to watch C level sports like euro soccer, rugby and F1 racing just because they are in HD they will fail. Its probably as popular as womens basketball in the US..... NO viewership! They are to be spun off next month, its time to show events that people watch. The Voom target audience is not europeans!!!!! The free ride is over, its time to make money or go out of business. They way to get those more popular sports is INHD and HDNet voom, if your listening.

I agree I would like to see more NHL and MLS, the RSNs in HD could offer that, I think as a final "push" out to see Voom and INHD need to get together and become allies I think. However I don't think that possibly finding a way to include a couple of C level sports is entirely a bad idea. Now that you mention it, including an F1 event, and a rugby event in WorldSport would be great....

However you are right, probably MLS and NHL would definately attract more viewers and subs right now than beefing up WorldSport. Both good ideas though.

DarrellP said:
HDNET has aired the Long Beach Grand Prix.
Thats part of my point. This content is already being done by INHD and HDnet. Why spend money to create more 3rd tier content? The channels and the 2nd tier sports content are out there. Go get them.

If you think NHL is second tier then obviously you've never visited the NorthEast, we'll take Hockey over football and baseball anyday of the week.

The Long Beach Grand Prix is not Formula One, its CART I believe, and there is a world of difference, its not even close to be the same sport.

We're huge F1 fans, get up every Sunday morning to watch the race and goto the Montreal race every year, even going to goto Indy this year if they have the Thursday pit deal.

I cannot imagine why Bernie is not pushing HD. F1 is the absolute pinnacle of performance and technology, HD would fit in just perfect. The money sure is there in bucket loads.

What they need to do is shrink down the HD camera to fit on the car.

F1 takes some technical interest, and knowledge to enjoy, its not the WWF on Wheels like Nascar and isn't targeted to the lowest common denominator, like Nascar.

Is HD in Europe? Is ATSC a worldwide spec? The only reason I can think they do not do it is the providers in Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia are not all on the same system.

We'd love to see F1 in HD, at least one race. I thought for sure it would have been Bahrain since they paid for everything including a new track. Indy has the equipment, but it was SD. Won't be China, and it won't be GB next weekend cause they are having some issues with Bernie.

Eric_C said:
If you think NHL is second tier then obviously you've never visited the NorthEast, we'll take Hockey over football and baseball anyday of the week.

The Long Beach Grand Prix is not Formula One, its CART I believe, and there is a world of difference, its not even close to be the same sport.

We're huge F1 fans, get up every Sunday morning to watch the race and goto the Montreal race every year, even going to goto Indy this year if they have the Thursday pit deal.

I cannot imagine why Bernie is not pushing HD. F1 is the absolute pinnacle of performance and technology, HD would fit in just perfect. The money sure is there in bucket loads.

F1 takes some technical interest, and knowledge to enjoy, its not the WWF on Wheels like Nascar and isn't targeted to the lowest common denominator, like Nascar.

Is HD in Europe? Is ATSC a worldwide spec? The only reason I can think they do not do it is the providers in Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia are not all on the same system.

We'd love to see F1 in HD, at least one race. I thought for sure it would have been Bahrain since they paid for everything including a new track. Indy has the equipment, but it was SD. Won't be China, and it won't be GB next weekend cause they are having some issues with Bernie.

I too watch almost every single race and I know a lot of F1 fans here. F1 event on WorldSports would be big +.

vurbano said:
Who cares about F1? give me sports that people actually want to watch. NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR etc.

Those sports are already on other channels (TNT, ESPN, NFL) most of which you can watch on Voom already. You don't want them on WorldSports, do you?

Eric_C said:

Do you mean the Northeast of Canada, or the US? Because I'm pretty sure the #1 team in both NY and Boston are baseball teams. You're right about football. Both cities are good NFL cities, but not at all for CFB. Just my opinion, but a company with only 40k subs. won't be making any big acquisitions anytime soon.

Eric_C said:
Ahh, spoken like a true race car fan. Now lets see here, where does this here dang connuter valve go. :rolleyes:

I too am a huge fan of F1. I think HD broadcasts would benefit HDTV as well as the sport. And for me, it would probably make choosing an HD provider easier.

Give us F1 in HD and I'll forget about cart, irl and dare I say NASCAR for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)