Fortec 6 foot dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nycrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
West Palm Beach, FL
Pics of my Fortec FC06-P Kit from Sadoun. I used a DMX741U with insert for reception of NSS806 55.5W Temporary installed on a temporary stand made by using 4 pieces of 2x4 ($16 @ Home Depot). I used a regular tripod and mast. Screws had to be centered on the mast because of smaller pipe size(Radio Shack mast.)
I bought the angle device at Home depot ($8) Very useful for ALL dishes without elevation markings. Makes finding the sats easy. I am using a tone switch for C band on the 6 footer and Ku (97w) dish shown on the pic (DMX741U has a built in Desecq switch and I had to use a tone switch).
Setting the declination made a big difference getting weak sats. I can receive everything( except scrambled) on NSS806 with the exception of three other transponders.

Attachments

• Sat pics 1 001.jpg
    Sat pics 1 001.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Sat pics 1 002.jpg
    Sat pics 1 002.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Sat pics 1 003.jpg
    Sat pics 1 003.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 267
  • Sat pics 1 004.jpg
    Sat pics 1 004.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Sat pics 1 006.jpg
    Sat pics 1 006.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Sat pics 1 007.jpg
    Sat pics 1 007.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Sat pics 1 008.jpg
    Sat pics 1 008.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Sat pics 1 010.jpg
    Sat pics 1 010.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Sat pics 1 011.jpg
    Sat pics 1 011.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Sat pics 1 009.jpg
    Sat pics 1 009.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 242
Good effort, there. ;)
Glad to hear you got your bird.

If you were motorized, the small mast would have made it hard to twist the mount to align accurately to your true south bird.
If you should revisit that in the future, consider shimming with several pipes or tubing to get a good fit.

Selecting between the C-band and Ku-band LNBs on a 741u with a 22khz switch, may mean you don't get both high- and low- bands on the Ku side.
If that should prove to be a problem, we can find you a solution. - :up

Thanks for the pictures.
I lived in Florida as a kid, so it's always good to see pix of home.
And, it's always great to hear a success story.

I am in the process of changing the setup and using my GBOX3000 and 24in actuator(Sadoun Kit) and putting everything in a ground mount. I just got the pipe at Lowes today. They sell a 5ft $14 & 8ft $20 (2 3/8). They also have a 6ft smaller diameter (1 .75 in)that is good for KU dishes.($11)It is in the Garden Section. I am going to have both my C band & KU band dish motorized.
I found a neat application for the Iphone that shows me my satellite arc as I hold up the phone to the sky with the sat names/location. I was really happy to have a 7W to 139W view after checking with the program.
However I am going to stick with maybe 30W to 129W for permanent setup. I have been moving my dish on the blocks to confirm reception on the sats. Everthing has been confirmed as the Iphone showed. I am going to use separate dishes for C & KU. I'm originally from up North (NY) so I have been avoiding going outside to dig the hole (We had +90 degrees for 85% of the month), I got to get use to those +110 degrees outside in direct sun.

20$ for the pole!. I paid over 60! and not even home depot had it!. the 6 footer is a big dish therefore make sure you use a thick wall pipe as a permanent pole. 6 ft , 3" Schedule 40 the recommended. that pipe is acctually 3.5 " OD. 2 ft underground and 4 feet above is perfect even for a short guy like me, lol. the poles at the garden section on those stores I beleive are not thick enough specially in the Floridan Hurricane madness. I have no much experience with C band so I am sure somebody else will chime in for more info.

Hello, don't know if you still live in florida, but I also just installed the same dish, I live in Miami, but it seems like it is pointing real low in the sky, is that normal or should it be pointing up instead, thanks

Start a new thread asking your question, as this one is 5 years old and the OP has not been on in months.

Will be glad to continue this there, and give ya some help. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts