fortec 8ft solid dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwerty81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
does anyone have this dish? I have the 6ft version and I was wondering if the signal strength of the 8ft is worth the money.

does anyone have this dish? I have the 6ft version and I was wondering if the signal strength of the 8ft is worth the money.

I don't have the dish but I can definitely tell you that while the added signal strength is nice, it's not as useful as the narrower beamwidth...much less adjacent satellite interference...well worth the additional 2 ft. IMO...

It should gather more signal.
But more importantly, it should have a narrower beam width, so as to reject adjacent satellite interference.
That's the main purpose of bigger dishes, in our application.

And if you're looking at the 8' Fortec, also give the 8' GeoSat a peek, as well.
I've considered getting one this summer, but am still dragging my feet.
Think there is a review of it here on the forum somewhere (maybe in the review section?) :rolleyes:
. . . and here is a longer review.
I recall reading it a couple of years ago, and was favorably impressed.
So much so, that if they'd had a 6' version, I'd have probably gotten it then. :)

With any of these larger dishes, watch out for shipping.
It's a major portion of the price.
I'm located quite near the Port of Los Angeles, and am still trying to figure out how to pick one up from the docks or the closest warehouse. ;)

edit: I see ACradio beat me to the answer while I was composing and looking up links.
He's a man with several 8' dishes; you should visit his link and see the hardware. :)

Comment

I don't have the dish but I can definitely tell you that while the added signal strength is nice, it's not as useful as the narrower beamwidth...much less adjacent satellite interference...well worth the additional 2 ft. IMO...

Hey ACRadio,

I checked out your Dish Farm from the link in your signiture and I'm impressed especially with your 8' Channel Masters. I just happened to have one that I got free and I'm really happy with it.

Nice Farm Bro!!! :D

Geosat seems to have a bit more gain than the Fortec not a significant difference. You probably wont notice it.... I am specting to receive a fortec 240cm soon I ordered it a couple of days ago...

Why Fortec ?...well as Anole mentioned shipping is expensive and for me it is better to get a Fortec...

Hey ACRadio,

I checked out your Dish Farm from the link in your signiture and I'm impressed especially with your 8' Channel Masters. I just happened to have one that I got free and I'm really happy with it.

Nice Farm Bro!!! :D
Thanks much. I'm getting another 8 ft CM SMC prepared to add, and I'm going to move the 10 ft CM to a new pole, possibly to split domestic C and KU to two seperate dishes.

I got the 8' Fortec and I love it. It really works well. I also have a 6' Fortec, which I got first. Aligning the 8' is much easier, you get much better reception. Works great on AMC 11 and Galaxy 14, but 10' will work better. I'm having reception issues with my 6' on AMC 1. I cannot get DW-TV and only get one transponder. Might be adjacent satellite interference, might be trees, I'm not totally sure. It did work before but it just stopped working. I'd keep the 6' for the channels you can easily get and just get the 8' Fortec. The 2' makes a difference that is definately worth it.

Jonathan

I ordered a Fortec no polar mount... I have a spare H mount from an older dish and will adapt it to my new dish it will not be difficult to do. I heard commets from my local retailer that some Fortec 8 footers are being sold with a polar mount (H mount) no strong enough for this dish!

8' feet in diameter is the recommended minimum size for 2 degree interfence rejection at C-band frequencies. 6' dishes are nice and work ok but 8-10 for c-band is best (or larger).

I would like to have a 16' dish.

8' feet in diameter is the recommended minimum size for 2 degree interfence rejection at C-band frequencies. 6' dishes are nice and work ok but 8-10 for c-band is best (or larger).

I would like to have a 16' dish.
Actually it's 9 feet. My 8 footers are 2.2 degrees and the 10 is 1.7 degrees...I can see just a bit of the adjacent satellite on the 8 footer with the analyzer...I can even see a tick on the 10 footer but it is about to be moved and isn't peaked...

Actually it's 9 feet. My 8 footers are 2.2 degrees and the 10 is 1.7 degrees...I can see just a bit of the adjacent satellite on the 8 footer with the analyzer...I can even see a tick on the 10 footer but it is about to be moved and isn't peaked...

Lets say 75% efficiency of a 2.8 meter reflector at 4GHz: 4.0/(2.8*.75) = 1.90 degrees, so yes a 9' is good for 2 degree spacing but a 8.5' would probably be the smallest you would want to go, personally I would not go under a 10'

Status
Please reply by conversation.