Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
All,

Help me figure out if my receiver went bad. I've been using this NA since I got into this hobby and its been my main resource to motorize my 1.2m and BS. Recently, its been having some problems viewing horizontal channels and occasionally V too.

These last few days, I got a LNBO message on the front, which the manual stated to check cabling. I removed all of my switchs and just have the receiver and motor hooked up.

Now, I can only get V, no H. Even hooked up a old Lifetime ULtra and Satpros on the same cable and both of them do V/H fine.

So.....i'm thinking my reciever is going bad :(

Has this happened to anyone else?

Have you measured the voltage on the LNBF IN port? Is the Vertical TPs 13vdc and Horizontal 18vdc?

If Horizontal are not 18vdc, check the voltages on the power regulator near the tuner. Most likely the IC regulator or the resistor feeding the 18vdc side has failed. If the IC needs replacing, try replacing with a 317T. This IC has a 1.5A draw rating and will not be as easily damaged.

Thanks for the advise..

How would I check that on the LNB in? Basically, where would the probes go for the meter? Are you familar with this receiver? Would pic help out? Soldering is no prob for me....just need to be pointed in the right direction :)

Set the multimeter to DC mode (auto voltage or 20 -50vdc setting) and touch the negative lead to the chassis and the positive lead to the center conductor of the "LNB IN or SAT IN" port. The meter should read 13vdc (+/- 10%) for vertical polarity and 18vdc (+/- 10%) for a horizontal transponder. If the probe of the meter doesn't fit in the center conductor, try inserting a paper clip or brad to make contact in the connector then touch the positive lead to the clip or brad.

Very funny smith :)

I did check the receiver and it was outputting 18v. I did end up replacing some coax connectors that had a loose crimp job, but still had the same isssue. 18v would work for a while and then quit on me. I ended up swapping coax feeds to between my 102g and classic NA and the classic was performing fine. Then the 102g stopped getting 18v :( Thats when I went outside with a receiver and tv and tried to figure out where the loss since i have a disqec, DC block and a 22k switch.

To make a long story short....it was the BSC621. it was just as bad directly connected. I had a eagle aspen B1 laying around and I swapped it out. I really like the bandstacked now since I can watch both polarities now on both PC and Classic NA. Only drawback is that I did take a small quality decrease from the 13k BSC to the 17k B1. Being this is on a 4 foot dish, it did cause a few tps to have some breakups that I didn't have before. But....its mainly on channels that I don't watch much :) On the other hand, I did see some improvements, but its on the 18V channels and probably more assoicated to the bad BSC.

The weight of the BSC and 13k rating was great on the 120cm so I may look into another one later down the road. Every pt counts on a small cband dish.

Thanks for your help Brian!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)