Fortec FS6D + scalar ring possible? or do I need a Collar II?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The only drawback is they may have more flex especially being partially cut...But it should still work :)

So the cut should be at around 3 oclock I would say? or perhaps 4 oclock would be better in my case been that is 116.8w and 113w?

yep. I have mine cut at 2:00-4:00 cut towards center. So the center part is about 2 inches missing but the end has more. You want to make sure the 2nd LNB has enough room to bump up against the first one. In the link I posted with the pics the 3rd pic shows there is a gap above and below the 2nd LNB for wiggle room

If you cut too much that shouldnt be an issue. in all seriousness I would try to see if both 113 & 116.8 give you good enough signal quality and see which satellite has more of what you want first. If say 116.8 is really weak to start as fixed properly (not offset) and that has a fair amount of channels you want this may not work

When I did the original setup of 99/103 it was to get Ion TV. The signal wasnt the strongest but was able to get a good enough quality signal even offset.

Yeah true that Ice. Seems like 113w is (42 EIRP dBW) is a much stronger bird then 116.8w (39 EIRP dBW).

So for sure I will point it at 116.8w been the weaker one

That dish is becoming a fashion statement. :D

Sadoun, I received my Fortec FS6D today. I wanted to thank you for the prompt shipping. :D

Seems like this is gonna be a fun weekend indeed.

You welcome. Have fun. You will need a couple of hours to put it all together and start the alignment process. Hopefully it will be warm where you are. Here in Columbus we are expecting 83-85 degrees high for the next couple of days. The warmest days so far. Today it was 64.

You welcome. Have fun. You will need a couple of hours to put it all together and start the alignment process. Hopefully it will be warm where you are. Here in Columbus we are expecting 83-85 degrees high for the next couple of days. The warmest days so far. Today it was 64.

We had 100+ until tuesday, today as bearly 70 lol.
Weekend looks nice too.. in the 70's so perfect weather to built and align that baby

building it isnt bad. Honestly if you have 2 people it works better. I built both of mine by myself and the hardest part was getting the dish onto the mounting frame :)

easiest way to build
-put panels together
-build frame
-put "O" ring on back of dish
-mount O ring to frame
-add arms and scaler ring

Also if you are going to move it around to various sats what I did was find my true south and lock it. Where the "slider" arm is (that adjusts elevation) I put a mark so I know that is the highest the dish needs to go. I then found a low satellite and did the same.
I added a couple more so I know where my true south is, my lowest sat and a couple others like 121, 107 & 72

Pro96

Yes, follow Iceberg's advice. Two people will help as well.

Take some pictures as you progress through the assembly and installation.
Share here. :)

building it isnt bad. Honestly if you have 2 people it works better. I built both of mine by myself and the hardest part was getting the dish onto the mounting frame :)

easiest way to build
-put panels together
-build frame
-put "O" ring on back of dish
-mount O ring to frame
-add arms and scaler ring

Also if you are going to move it around to various sats what I did was find my true south and lock it. Where the "slider" arm is (that adjusts elevation) I put a mark so I know that is the highest the dish needs to go. I then found a low satellite and did the same.
I added a couple more so I know where my true south is, my lowest sat and a couple others like 121, 107 & 72

I, I Captain.

Will have my 19yr son assist me fo sho. The steps you have are excellent, and will follow. Thank you again Ice.

Pro96

Yes, follow Iceberg's advice. Two people will help as well.

Take some pictures as you progress through the assembly and installation.
Share here. :)

I will take em as I built.. :)

Last edited:
no problem :)

The mian part where you need two people is mounting the O ring (which is attached to the dish panels) to the frame. When I swapped out those 2 panels I took out the center plate of the dish (which leaves a hole) and then mounted it to the frame.

In previous times I picked up the dish, leaned it against something vertical, then picked up the frame and attached the frame to the dish (instead of the other way around) :)

Today I built the 6ft fortec and it took less time that I estimated. Started around 4pm and finished at 545pm.

I did not do any sat aiming cause the Laker game started at 6pm local .. hehe.

Here are some pics as I was building . Man I love this dish, glad I got it. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
VERY NICE :)

I noticed in the 3rd picture you had the O ring mounted to the frame and then mounted the dish to that (I did it the other way)

I like how you attached it in pic 4 ;)

The only other thing I would recommend is to space out the arms a little more. I have mine on every other panel. It looks like there is nothing stopping the scaler ring from dropping (nothing at the top)

I noticed in the 3rd picture you had the O ring mounted to the frame and then mounted the dish to that (I did it the other way)

The only other thing I would recommend is to space out the arms a little more. I have mine on every other panel. It looks like there is nothing stopping the scaler ring from dropping (nothing at the top)

link me to a pic of yours to see how u have the scalar arms positioned please.

Yes it seems easier this way, and it was very simple to load it on the dish since my son ended up no been home, so I was on my own. I also used my 15ft trampoline to put the dish pieces together.

The scalar arm facing up now, but sux that its already night time.
Had a busy Sunday and was not able to do much with the 6ft.

Ice.. been that you have a lot of experience with the 6ft dish, what would be my settings as far as adjusting the LNB and Polar elevation for 113w and or 116w.

Here are the pictures just taken now and how the upper arm is holding the scalar now.. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Good morning forum, last night I wasn't too sleepy and decided to play around with the dish to get a signal. After an hour or so with temps of 51f I stopped since I could not lock any signal at 113w. Might have the polar elevation wrong and or the skew. This is pretty much my first Cband dish I've tried to signal peek with. In the 90's had a 10ft but was prof installed.

I've installed many Ku dishes and Cband for sure must have a diffrent way of doing so. I am located at 34N 118W (Los Angeles) , any one have any pointers as far as LNB skew and Polar elevation for my area? Thanks

BTW: I did do the elevation like a Ku dish at 49 for 113w

Last edited:
I've installed many Ku dishes and Cband for sure must have a diffrent way of doing so. I am located at 34N 118W (Los Angeles) , any one have any pointers as far as LNB skew and Polar elevation for my area? Thanks

BTW: I did do the elevation like a Ku dish at 49 for 113w

C-Band aims different than KU. C-Band being prime focus aimed "legit" as in a 45 degree angle the dish looks like its at 45 degrees and not facing up and down. See below pics. The C-Band dish and the dark grey dish are aimed at the same elevation. Notice the difference of how the dishes look? (elevation on both was 38ish)

I went and measured the elevation arm for mine. The dish is aimed at 99W which for me in Minnesota is at 38.4 elevation. From the center of the top bolt of the elevation "slider arm" down to where the 2 pieces of elevation slider arm come together is 14 1/2". So you know it needs to be less than that.

LA is about a 50 elevation for 113 & 116 so you need to raise the dish. Azimuth is around 160 for both satellites (give or take a smidge). Being 12 degree difference I would subtract a good 2 inches off that 14 1/2" and start from there

The 621 arrow should be aimed straight up since it is very close to your true south.

Also if you think you are near it, blind scan. There isnt as many sats in the vicinity (111, 113, 116, 121, 123) as what I have but at least a blind scan lets you know approx where you are

Attachments

• 000_0444.jpg
    000_0444.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 000_0447.jpg
    000_0447.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 94
addition...The C-Band LNB usually has a skew marks or an arrow on them. Some LNB"s seem to be off by 90 degrees

The 621 is usually true and has an arrow at the end...line that up with "0" (or an approx)
The 421 seems to be off by 90 degrees so line it up for 9:00 or 3:00. The 421 has skew markings on the end of the LNB
The Eagle Aspen stacked LNB seems to be right on

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)