Fortec Lifetime Classic NA firmware

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

horizon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I just got one, and I went to their website and there's a newer version of the firmware (from a few weeks ago).

What's up with their disclaimer.

"To avoid invalidating your warranty, contact your dealer to have a Fortec Star
trained technician upload software to your receiver. Only a Fortec Star trained technician is authorized to upgrade software."

http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/index.asp?products=82,1

"Firmware - v.1.1NTSC ( December 22, 2005) Click Here to Download
Downloading software to your receiver voids the manufacturer warranty.
For NTSC TV systems (used in North America).
Perform a Factory Setting (restore defaults) before and after downloading software to your receiver. This ensures that the new software performs correctly."

So installing the Factory updated software on my unit invalidates the warranty? Are they crazy? Is their product so flimsy that there are serious problems with doing the update to the firmware with their own software?

Is this some Canadian deal, to comply with some law they have where the unit is made?

My other A/V devices, like my Ilo DVD burner, don't have this restriction. In fact the company encourages you to get the new firmware updates.

no. you can download software into your unit. I do it all the time (just did it over the weekend on 2 of my boxes) I know that if you download illegal software into the box ansd screw it up you void your warranty.

You'll be fine :)

The page IS written such that downloading Fortec's own software voids thier warranty. I assume it is written as well as the rest of the documentation and they MEANT to say third party software voids the warranty.

But Horizion if you load it, let us know what it does or does not do for you.

Iceberg, The new firmware from PansatUSA for the 3500s is dated 12-21, and the firmware version on the reciever is 11-5 , Is it worth while to upgrade, and if so does it affect the channels or any other stored data, ie. sats,TPs . Thanks, Mark

You could upgrade the software if you’d like. I know on my 6000 the upgrade did help (I had an issue where my motor settings would be like 1 “click” off)

Will it nuke your channels? Mine didn’t but I know older models it would. The “loader” that comes with the software will allow you upload your channels to a file for safe keeping. I highly suggest doing that first so if the software clears everything, you can just download the channels back into the unit. That’s what I did

Cool, got the channels backed up already, I noticed having to bump a few notches on some of the USALS settings too, but not all, just a few. Looks like a good weekend project then, I can use the SD card then with no loader, or best with the loader and null cable? Thanks, Mark

bruce005714 said:
What benefit will get if upgrade firmware? more birds? faster scan?

for what receiver?

Some updates just clean up the bugs. As an example, on my old Pansat the Diseqc 1.2 setting wasnt bang on (it would be off by one nudge). That cleaned it up

Some (like the Coolsat 4000) gave a user defined blind scan option. Old verison would scan 11.7-12.7 MHX frequencies....new software defaults to 11.7-12.2 (KU band) but you can fine tune it to scan say 11.7-11.9 MHZ :)

Katrinasucks said:
The page IS written such that downloading Fortec's own software voids thier warranty. I assume it is written as well as the rest of the documentation and they MEANT to say third party software voids the warranty.

But Horizion if you load it, let us know what it does or does not do for you.
I think what they mean is be careful, and don't screw up. Know how to install software "Correctly" before attempting. Lets face it, if you just buy your first receiver you're maybe not sure what the difference is in a boot file, ROM file, or channel data file and maybe think clicking the wrong dot in the loader is forgivable. And then someone is likely to think the download is finished before the final message. My electricity unexpectingly blinks off and kills my PC every so often. Who's fault would that be? It wouldn't be too hard to screw up a receiver. I almost did once, but caught it just in time and "Cancelled" before completion. Not paying close attention caused that. :D

Fortec has a new repair center here in the US, you can contact him via email for any warranty questions. From my experience the only concern is with downloading illegal software, you should be fine as long as it is Fortecs Software.
Fortecs Repair

Contact Richard at

techman@citynet.net

I just downloaded the newest Fortec software and I really dont see a difference :)

Only took maybe 5 minutues start to finish. The key thing is to WAIT until the unit reboots after taking the software.

iceberg,

Have you noticed any changes at all since your last post? I wondering if it is evern worth upgrading. Was there (or have any other receiver companies) been a press release stating whats new with their new firmware

Havent noticed any difference between the original and the new,...same stuff :)

As for letting people know what the update is, sadly only the illegal 3rd party stuff usually does...

one addition to the above....some software may say its new but it isnt.

Here's what I mean....lets say a new receiver is built with Nov 1, 05 software in it. When the company posts the same software on their site, it may say "Dec 15, 05" but its the same software as the 11/1/05 stuff.

Thats weird! I'll have to check my firmware when I get home.
I emailed Fortec anyways to see if they can provide the additions/fixes. WE'll see if they write back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)