Fortec Mercury II clock

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PhilipPeake

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
The clock on my Mercury II loses around 3 minutes per day.
That is REALLY annoying ...

Does anyone else have the same problem?

(I want to know if its a generic problem before contacting Sadoun about a potential replacement).

its a known fortec issue, would be nice if they could get it fixed, its a silly quirk that $2 watch's seem to be able to figure out.

The fortec lifetime ultra lost time also, they fixed it in the classic na. I thought they had them fixed for all the new models???

its a known fortec issue, would be nice if they could get it fixed, its a silly quirk that $2 watch's seem to be able to figure out.

Exactly!

I think I know what the problem probably is. The clock seems to be powered only when the receiver is. This is usually a sign of a clock driven by the supply frequency. These receivers are almost certainly originally designed for 240v 50Hz. They probably do some trick of hacking the divider chain for the 110v 60Hz versions, but don't get it really right.

Oh well ... just need to suppress the clock display. An incorrect clock REALLY annoys me.

Many receivers use a satellite signal to set the clock. The Pansat 2700 does this, it is therefore not a real time clock.

It would be better if the manufacturers used a real time clock that could be set by satellite only if desired.

with the fortec mercury II you can have the time set to GMT=on which means satellite time, and set to GMT=off which means use its own internal clock

GMT is a stupid name for 'sat time' or 'local time' but whatever lol

sat time is not of any use to us as each channel seems to send a different time, and as stated the internal clock looses or gains time.

GMT means Greenwich Mean Time, which is the old International standard. Now days they call it, UTC, which means Universal Time Coordinate. Either way it's where the official time is kept.

Al

exactly, knowing what GMT really means, I think its a dumb thing to use GMT=on as meaning 'use whatever time the sat tells you it is' ie setting the fortec to GMT=on and doing a quick surf on IA5 will get you 5 different times easily, maybe more, all off by a few hours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts