Fortec Star Mercury II $85 - Holiday Special - Satellite AV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
this should be a good unit for a starter :) most units with a blind scan should be good for starting out.
some are easier to use than others but a good thing about this unit is several people here have one and should be able to answer any questions if you have any.

I first read Pop's response to this, and misinterpreted what was intended:
Is this a bottom line unit or will it be fine for a rookie.
I think JBO is asking if this is a Low-End receiver. Answer: NO
And it will be fine for anyone from rookie to expert FTA-user.
It's on a short list of maybe three top general purpose receivers discussed on this forum.
All of which have blind-scan (a rose by any other name).

(well, it doesn't do Hi Def, doesn't do 4:2:2, and it doesn't record your shows, but those aren't general purpose receivers)

I guess I am a rookie, I got 1 (plus two other Fortecs) and I like the Mercury II the best. EASY to use for a rookie!:)

Couldn't agree more with the "easy to use" comment.

It passed my "toss the manual in a corner and get it working by looking at all the menus" test. :)

I'm sure the folks here will be happy to offer assistance if you get stuck.

I'd give my Merc II an A- or B+. :)

Called Satellite AV this morning and they gave me a tracking number - my Merc II was loaded on the FedEx truck at 5:02 this morning and with any luck should be there when I get home from work. I've got a 36" dish on order from 3ABN but that hasn't come yet. I do have an 18" Directv dish with what I'm guessing is a circular polarized LNB. I'm anxious to try to get something - anyone have any suggestions of what to point it at? DirecTV or DishNet unencrypted promos would be fine - just something that would give me a first picture.

Called Satellite AV this morning and they gave me a tracking number - my Merc II was loaded on the FedEx truck at 5:02 this morning and with any luck should be there when I get home from work. I've got a 36" dish on order from 3ABN but that hasn't come yet. I do have an 18" Directv dish with what I'm guessing is a circular polarized LNB. I'm anxious to try to get something - anyone have any suggestions of what to point it at? DirecTV or DishNet unencrypted promos would be fine - just something that would give me a first picture.

Congrats on your new purchase.

Yes, your DirecTV dish supports both left-hand and right-hand circular polarization, as do DISH LNBs. Whereas the FTA stuff uses linear (Horizontal or Vertical) polarization.

There are a few DISH network channels that you can receive FTA on an FTA receiver. There are NO DirecTV channels you can receive FTA, at all. The reason for this is the data transmission format used by DirecTV is different from, and incompatible with, the DVB-S standard that DISH and FTA channels adhere to.

Your best bet for a quick box check-out would be to find a friend with a DISH500 dish, hook up to that, and do a power scan. You should see NASA-TV and Angel-One off Echostar 7 at 119 West. That was how I got my first signal.

You *could* re-point your DirecTV dish to 119W, but then you'll have to re-point it when you're done to restore DirecTV functionality. I wouldn't do that because you end up with two dishes to point three times, intead of just assembling your 36" dish and pointing it once...

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/85225-i-need-strong-transponder-aim-my-dish.html

You might just be better off hunting with a signal meter on the selected transponder and doing a blind scan until you find some content... that's what I did when I finished assembling the dish.

It doesn't even have to be FTA. The channels found would be useless if encrypted, but their names can provide a clue as to what you're actually pointed at until you find something with FTA content. I was lucky and found Galaxy 25 pretty fast. :)

Not having much luck with my Mercury II so far

Poll - can anyone top this for worst first experience with FTA?

Thursday a week ago I went and bought an old TV from Craigslist to use out at the dish. I had been concerned that a TV that didn't have RCA jacks for video in wouldn't work, but several people here reassured me that the MercII has a TV out jack so I bought the $15 used TV with just an antenna in and no RCA jacks. I also got a 18" DirecTV dish from Craigslist (my "Old Primestar satellite dish wanted" Craigslist ad specifically said I didn't want DirecTV equipment but the lady who responded didn't know what she had so I thought what the heck maybe I'll find a use for this some day).

So yesterday I got my order from SatAv. Sometimes things go really well with electronic gadgets but yesterday wasn't one of those times, starting with unpacking the box. I had ordered the MercII which came with a 4X1 diseqc switch ($85 holiday special), and a motor. The switch was nowhere to be found. I poured all the peanuts out of the box, looked in the box the motor came in to see if maybe they stuck it in there, unpacked the MercII, but no switch. So I called SatAV - they were very nice about it and said they would mail me the switch.

On the same day I ordered the Merc I ordered a 36" dish from 3ABN. Yesterday I discovered there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. Silly me, I ordered the dish over the Internet. The correct way to order from them is to call them over the phone to place your order. The difference? If you order over the Internet, the friendly folks at the 3ABN accounting office sit on your order for about a week and a half before they send it to the satellite people. If I had ordered by phone, I was told, they would have shipped it out right away. Sounds logical to me. SatAV charged my credit card on Dec 19 and shipped my order the same day. 3ABN also charged my credit card on Dec 19 but nine days later hasn't managed to get the order from the accounting office to the shipping office. So anyway I had my spanking new receiver but only a DirecTV dish.

I drilled some holes in a hunk of plywood and bolted the 18-incher to that and took it outside, grabbed a 7/16" inch wrench and adjusted the dish so the mast was perpendicular to the plywood and set the elevation to 26 degrees, then plunked the whole thing onto a milk crate and pointed it in the general direction of 119W (247 on the compass). Set the MercII on another milk crate and the $15 TV on a third milk crate. Connected the LNB to LNB IN on the receiver and TV OUT on the receiver to ANT IN on the TV using coax. Plugged everything in, turned everything on, hit the menu button on the receiver remote.

And got nothing. Nada. Zilch. Just a snowy TV screen looking like it wasn't hooked up to anything. Tried changing channel from 3 to 4 and a bunch of other channels. Noticed that in addition to ANT IN the TV had a TV IN coax jack, so tried that. Changed the channel repeatedly. No dice. I'm not saying I couldn't receive TV from the satellite, I'm saying I couldn't even get the receiver menus to come up.

So I took the receiver back into the house. Hooked it up to the ANT IN on the TV in the kitchen. Hit menu button on the MercII remote, got "menu" on the receiver display, but still nothing but snow on the TV. Channel 3, Channel 4, still nothing. So next I tried yellow RCA video out from the receiver to yellow RCA video in on the TV. Now I got a menu on the TV (finally!) but it was very distorted looking and you couldn't really read the words very well. I brought up the list of satellites but couldn't read it well enough to tell which satellite was which (some of the names have Galaxy in them but you can't read the rest of it).

So I thought maybe I have a bad cable, so went down to the basement to get a different yellow RCA cable but had the same result. So this morning I tried a red-green-blue cable to go from component out on the receiver to component in on the TV - maybe a hair better but still can't really read the menus.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I thought the same about PAL but can't find a menu item to change the video format. There is a TV Setup menu but all I see is Aspect Ratio, Video Output (S-Video, YPbPr), SPDIF Output. You can do a factory reset from the Installation menu.

thisBUDsforyou, my story is similar to yours. I ordered 3ABN dish on internet and found out how long it was going to take so I cancelled and got the dish from SatAV. My Merc II does display the menus on composite video but I have not hooked up to the dish yet.

I thought the same about PAL but can't find a menu item to change the video format. There is a TV Setup menu but all I see is Aspect Ratio, Video Output (S-Video, YPbPr), SPDIF Output. You can do a factory reset from the Installation menu.
I was tempted last night to do the factory reset but I thought that was kind of drastic or might void the warranty or something. I wonder if somehow I got a European version of the box that does PAL instead of NTSC, but on second thought it looked like the satellites preloaded in there are for North America.

Can anyone verify that TV out from the Mercury II to ANT IN on a TV via coax actually works? On mine I'm getting absolutely nothing, among other issues.

Hey linuxman tell us how you like it. Try scanning 74W on ku see if it locks up on HD feeds it finds like this traxis does! thks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)