Fotrec Mercuary II signal meter problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

laseradam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Goshen, OH
I just got a mercuary II that I was using to install a 90cm fortec dish. I tried for an hour to aim the dish. Then got out my Fortec NA, conecterd it to the dish and the satellite I was searching for poped up on the screen! The dish was allready pointed at the corect satellite and the Mercuary II signal meter was showing nothing!

LNB TP and everything else was set right on the Mercuary II but I could not use the signal meter to aim the dish. I was very frustrated because Usualy when I aim for AMC4 it takes me less than 10 min and I tried with the mercuary II for over an hour.

I purchased the mercuary II to use as my "aiming receiver" but I don't know if that is going to work out. Any ideas?

I reconnected the Mercuary II and then the station showed up on it also.

I used to live near Goshen, Oh. We played baseball against them when I was a kid. My mom is still in Milford .
I think you are referring to the "name" of the bird that pops up, rather than the signal meter itself, but I could be wrong. It depends upon which transponder is the default on your antenna screen. Different receivers have different transponder lists. When aiming with any receiver you want to make sure that a "hot" tp is the default on your antenna screen, otherwise you will get nothing show up. I hope this is pertinent to your problem.

:)

I had a hot transponder set on the antenna screen. I also has the "signal beep" function set. I knew where the dish should be pointed as I was replacing a dented dish. I could never get the signal meter to respond. I blind scanned twice and both times I came up with transponders. When I switched out to the Fortec NA I was allready on the correct satellite.

My concern is that I want to use the Mercuary II as a dedicated aiming receiver. I guess I could switch receivers with my NA and use that as my aiming receiver.

seems i read somewhere here on the board that the sensitivity level was a little slow to react to signals ( for tuning this is bad ) but once already setup its fine.

Have you updated the the most recent firmware from the Fortec Star website?

Having provided direct technical support for tens of thousands of installs with Mercury II receivers installed for the Glorystar and Adventist systems, we would suggest that the issue might be related to an off frequency LNBF LO.

Not aware of any issues related to the slow reaction of Signal Quality that gabshere is referring to......

I prefer the Ultra for aiming, but that is a personal preference!

I use a Merc II for finding signal all of the time.
Works great, wonder if the LNBF had some LO drift that made the Merc miss it on scan. I have the Satellite's hot transponder/channels already loaded when I do the search for a sat - maybe that makes a difference.
Bob

Edit: I was typing while Brian was posting - Great Minds!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)