Found a Receiver Toshiba TRX-120

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Well for $8.00 and remote inlcuded (Need to clean the remote). Found at a local thrift store the following.

Toshiba TRX-120
Video Chiper II Plus

Blue Video Chiper module.
Model 256 - Partno 73531-2 (Mfg 1990)

Yes, I know this is a analog Ku/C receiver. But it will move a (BUD) dish and have a freaking nifty LCD display.

I know the Video Chiper module is old and outdated and I can remove
it from the unit. Anything else I should know?

Also I found a manual for it. (Plus it says something about channel autoscan)

Thanks,

Josh

Attachments

• Toshiba LCD.JPG
    Toshiba LCD.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Toshiba_BlueM.JPG
    Toshiba_BlueM.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 334
  • Toshiba.JPG
    Toshiba.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 513
First thing to know-if you dont know already- don't insert or remove that Videocypher unit from the receiver while the box is plugged in, it can damage it. If its the videocypher plus, then it may work just fine for what little analog programming is still available for subscription. Won't take long to find out if you have a c -band dish. Toshiba had a pretty good reputation in the day, you may have a good receiver there.

Update

Yes, I decided to unplug the unit before moving the box. The sat say Video Chiper II plus but the blue box just says video Chiper. Now I saw some other sat receivers show up and one still that that is a uniden. But the LED display is messed up and it is dirty than heck. As in dust, as in a storage unit perhaps. But I noticed some have different stuff. LIke one has a card reader. This does not. It has the hole in the back> I swore I saw one with a phone connector too. But this Thosiba won't fix the phone connector. Just the card slot ones.

As for the remote. Some of the buttons didn't work. So I opened it up to clean and found somebody spilt a pop or something in it at one time. So I'm cleaning that now.

P.S. Got a BUD in the garage for storage currently. Though I can mess around with the KU band side.

later,

Josh

good deal

That module will prob work if its battery hasn't died. The later models were called Videocypher VCRS (renewable security-hence that card slot, which was never used) Some had the phone input also-for PPV reporting, back when there was PPV for c-band. Might clean the contacts off with a pencil eraser if they look tarnished. You wont need it for KU but some receivers wouldnt work without a module in the slot, YMMV.

Well, I don't know

I finished cleaning the remote. It works okay.
As for the video module. I found a website with codes for how to identify your unit. I also found a site on how to replace your battery without loosing the info. It is a renewable security type and if I read it correctly. Was never hacked. This is just a early II unit before the Phone line and card slot. Everything looks good inside it.

THe sat receiver does run fine without the box.

As for goofing around. I hooked it up to my ku band dish / lnbf. I parked the dish on G10 first. (this was with my 39" ku dish for fta) Then flipping through the channels (Just goofing around) I picked up in alot of static and the following channel with static.

G10 - KU - CH32 - Channel 1 (Educational) - 11:00 mtn time.

I was thinking now that I Know it is there of hooking up my Muzak dish I found the other day with KU and trying that out. LOL. Since I can specificly adjust that to find a better signal manualy and never really tested the dish.

Later,

Josh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)