Found a Treasure - I think - Please Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Hi Everyone,

I went to the place that sells equipment that comes back off of lease today.

I bought a General Instrument DSR-1500S which says it is a Digicipher encoder equipped Satellite Receiver.

I also bought a General Instrument HDD201 Hi-Def Decoder, and I don't own a Hi-Def TV. I picked it up because it was cheap.

They have a Motorla DSR-4500X that I can get by making a phone call, but wanted to check here first to see if it was worth buying.

They have a Terayon CP-7220 as well, but I wanted to check about these as well.

I am going back tomorrow, and make them take me to the other warehouse. There is no telling what is over there.

Would you please tell me if the last two pieces are worth buying. They are commercial receivers, and I am going to start research on them right now. I can get them for a pretty reasonable amount.

The first two items were too cheap to resist.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

LinuxMan

as for the DSR-1500, I don't think that was to great of a thing. in my opinion.
as for the rest, it sounds like a good find. hope they work fine.

I have found out a couple of things.

1. the DSR-1500S is more than likely a Dicipher I receiver and Digicipher II. It works, at least it lights up, and you can scroll through the menu's on the front of the unit, but may not be very useful to me.

2. The GI HDD201 is the exact same thing as an HDD200 except that the 201 is the Canadian version, otherwise it is the same. The one I got is a General Instrument, which means it is probably a little older. It works too, at least it lights up when I plug it in. I will probably be wanting to sell or trade this unit since I don't have an HDTV.

3. The Motorola DSR-4500X looks like it would be a nice up to date receiver. The specs show that it has a lot of up to date things, I just don't know enough about it to make a decision as to whether it is worth the purchase. I am still hoping that someone here will chime in with something more than I can get off the spec sheet as to it's feasability for home use.

4. I haven't been able to find much of anything on the Terayon unit.

BTW, I saw that there is a classified area for selling things. I also read that only certain members can place an ad there. Can someone tell me the procedure for placing an ad there? I will probably want to list the HDD201 above there.

Thanks in advance,

LinuxMan

Hi W_Tracy_Parnell,

Thanks. I just finished tracing down the answer to my own question. The price looks pretty reasonable to me, and I will probably go ahead and become a pub member.

There is so much information on this site it is incredible.

Thanks for the help!

You are absoluty right, and I just donated my $19.99, and I think it is worth every penny just to read what is available, and to get help from all the knowlegeable people here.

Not only that, but you get the added benefit of selling and trading your equipment. :)

Thanks again!

I had a DSR 4500X book and sold it not to long ago. If it is the one with 8 ports, then more than likely it was for ESPN or TVLand. Why TVLand issued those I still don't know. They do have a switcher built in to switch to other satellite as well, that's where ESPN came in to play concerning the receiver. ESPN had set ups on G15, G14, G10 and one more I can't remember. The only thing is, they do not power the lnb because of the switching. so using a power inserter or another receiver w/ power and a satellite splitter would be the only way of powering the lnb. Digitran was later bought out by Terayon and they offered a better priced receiver using Motorola DC II format. Blonder Tongue done the samething with the DSR 4400.

You are correct cablewithaview.

I remember it having ESPN on the front of it and it did have 8 inputs on the back. So it is probably set up for the Sats that you mentioned.

And thanks for the info about Terayon. The only thing I could find was on Terayon's website, and you had to log in to get it.

you can change the settings on the DSR 4500X, it would be great for some FTA DC II feeds or Music Choice, the only downside to that is changing settings when you want try a different channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts