Found Another Different Solid Birdview

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Did you ever watch a movie with Michael J. Fox in it when he yells Sheeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiit?

That's how I felt today.

I sold a used memory stick to a guy yesterday, and was supposed to drop it off at his house this morning after leaving my every Thursday client.

Followed the directions to his house, and pulled up in the driveway, and there she was.

That's when I felt like hollering Sheeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! I was so happy to find another solid Birdview, and at the same time wondering what I was going to do with it if I got it. I dropped the memory in the guys storage/ups box, and picked up my money, then walked over to the house where the Birdview was.

I talked to a very nice elderly lady who was very proud of the fact that she was 85 years old. She said she lived there with her son who was out of town until Monday. I asked if I could take pictures and she said to do whatever I wanted. She took my card, and gave me her son's name and the phone number.

I didn't have my camera with me, so I snapped some shots on my cell phone. Pictures aren't very clear, but here they are.

new-solid-bview-front1.jpg new-solid-bview-front2.jpg

new-solid-bview-rear1.jpg new-solid-vview-rear2.jpg

She said he hasn't used it in several years, but I would have to talk to him about getting it.

Now the question is, What do I do with it when I get it?

Fred

Powerwash it!
You could put up a sign stating you need to find a good home for it? :D Sell it with installation and a FTA reciever to get some kickback money for your hobby? You live in a good area, thats for sure!

Last edited:
PM me when you get it, and I'll take it off your hands, hehe..
I could probl get to Bowling Green by the time you leave.

Freds Used Dishes = FUD's BUD's

I like that George! :cool:

Hey Somery, I couldn't ever sell a Birdview. They are like big game fish, they are keepers.

Hey Turbosat, you and Al would have to fight over it. :)

I think I have figured out what to do with it if I get it. :D

Fred

Just how many NPRM's do you think your roof can hold?? :rolleyes:

Geez, do you have all the luck!
Dish looks to be in pristine condition (yea, just a power-wash away)
The install looks decent - I like the in-ground conduit.
And it's low to the ground, for easy removal.

What more could the king of Birdviews want?

Ya know . . . If you'd put multiple LNBs on the Birdviews you have, you wouldn't need so many more!
Save a few for the rest of us. :cool:

He must've had a c-band dealer that was a good seller of birdviews back
in the good days of big dish to keep finding those dishes.

He must've had a c-band dealer that was a good seller of birdviews back
in the good days of big dish to keep finding those dishes.
That, and the fact that birviews were SO danged EXPENSIVE that people could never bring themselves to get rid of them until they "realize" that C-Band is not coming back ;)

Hey Anole,

I think I will just about be to the limit of NPRMs I want to put up there. I could probably put up a couple of more.

It is in pristine condition. No dents, warps, or bangs against it, and it will be like my first one, a piece of cake to take down.

Hey Turbosat, this is only the third one I have seen in these parts. You'd think there would be a lot more.

You're right Lumpkin, they were very expensive, and I don't actually have this one in my pocket yet, but I am hoping.

The Birdviews seem to have been kinda spotty when they were selling. As above, the expense was too much for some folks, and I am sure the shipping would have eaten most dealers alive. You would have to have bought several at a time just to make it worthwhile.

As to Anole's question, I think if the spun aluminum I am currently working on performs well and I actually get this one, I will take my perfed Birdview off it's perch, and put the solid reflector there. It will bolt right on to what is there and be ready to go.

I am then going to take one of my spare polar mounts, and make an adapter to fit the perfed Birdview and move it to the side of the building and replace my 7.5 foot Perfect 10 dish.

Then I will have the solid BV running the Pansat, the solid spun aluminum with the analog receiver/computer receiver/Traxis that I bought from Stogie for scanning, and the perfed BV running my 4DTV.

How's that sound for a plan?

Thanks guys,

Fred

Hey Somery, I couldn't ever sell a Birdview. They are like big game fish, they are keepers.

I know the feeling...we still have our 22 year old Birdview dish in our backyard....the exact same model as pictured in this post, but with some modifications (namely, the replacement of the original pole after the dish tipped over due to rust without damage to the dish itself..and replacement motor). We just haven't used the dish in over five years....having replaced it with Dish Network after lightning finally killed the Houston Tracker V system that it used.

We should be taking it down sometime in the next year...since we're about to expand our house.

Well, be sure to post here ifyou decide to lose it, and watch the feeding frenzy!
I finally found one about 2months back but was going to a meeting and couldn't stop. It was behind a very neat mobile home out in the country, and looked too nice to have been abandonded. Still, I may stop sometime and talk to the owner. Its only about 30min away.....

.... am sure the shipping would have eaten most dealers alive....

They were delivered to the dealer's doorstep by Birdview. The delivery truck was a sight to behold. A sixteen wheeler, low slung, with what looked like a hundred dishes standing on their sides like dinner plates drying in a dish rack.

I'd give a gold plated Caddie now to have a truckload of those.

Harold

Well I talked to the owner of this Birdview, and he is still using it.

We talked for a good bit, and he still is using the original LNB and receiver. He says he still gets the analog news feeds with it.

He promised that when the analog goes away, or the receiver quits he would call me and let me have the dish.

At least I made a friend with the promise of getting it in the future. :)

Fred

well its good to make friends... you should carry a DVB receiver over and show him what he's missing. all the birdviews in the world won't touch the friends you make down the path we travel :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.