Four Wireless Joeys Allowed on Accounts Now

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Effective immediately customers can now get up to four Wireless Joeys on their account. The rules still apply that only one WAP can support three Wireless Joeys so the customer would need to purchase a second WAP for $50. I believe the fourth Joey would also need to be purchased as well. The customer can lease up to three Wireless Joeys.

Reactions: TheKrell
That would be the best option.

Has anyone experimented with plugging the WAP directly into the router?

Also has anyone experimented with connecting Wireless Joeys via another router, without using the WAP? There is a thread at dbstalk with a user connected via a netgear nighthawk router without a WAP. With the instructions given, and AC WPS enabled router should work. There apparently is no check to make sure the WJ is using a Dish WAP.

The three WJs/WAP limit is probably only enforced via the Hopper WAP UI (which wouldn't be used if not using a WAP). Might be better to buy one good router vs two WAPs, especially if the usage pattern is not more than three are likely to be used at once.

Next to the Hopper.

I assume you run an ethernet cable directly from the back of the Hopper to the WAP?

So if I bought a WAP, and wanted to change out one of my (rented) joeys for a Wireless, would Dish send me the equipment, or would I have to schedule an installation?

Dish is only installingn wireless joeys currently. They currently are not shipping WJ(unless very recently changed)

I assume you run an ethernet cable directly from the back of the Hopper to the WAP?

So if I bought a WAP, and wanted to change out one of my (rented) joeys for a Wireless, would Dish send me the equipment, or would I have to schedule an installation?

Yep, just run the ethernet cable from the Hopper to the WAP. I'm not sure you can just purchase a Wireless Joey from Dish right now or not. You can purchase one from a retailer. No matter what the WAP has to be purchased for $50. The Wireless Joeys retail at $149 if you wanted to purchase that as well. The leased Jowy would need to be deactivated and returned back to Dish.

Next to the Hopper.
The only experience I have so far is with installing my own and I connected my WAP to my Hopper.
One diagram that I have seen is that you can also hook it up to a Hopper Internet Connector. You hook up your internet to your Hopper,& then via MoCA,the HIC is hooked up to your node,with the other end hooked up to your WAP. So if you have 2 WAPs,you can hook one up to your Hopper & the other to a HIC.

One diagram that I have seen is that you can also hook it up to a Hopper Internet Connector. You hook up your internet to your Hopper,& then via MoCA,the HIC is hooked up to your node,with the other end hooked up to your WAP. So if you have 2 WAPs,you can hook one up to your Hopper & the other to a HIC.

That may be. I'd have to look to see if there are any wiring diagrams for it.

Dish is only installingn wireless joeys currently. They currently are not shipping WJ(unless very recently changed)

Yep. If the equipment is leased or purchased from Dish, they definitely want to install the setup, since they have to support the setup. I don't doubt most folks here are savvy enough to do it, but the average customer? Nope. Think of it this way...think of the average customer, and then remember that half of them are below that average.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yep. If the equipment is leased or purchased from Dish, they definitely want to install the setup, since they have to support the setup. I don't doubt most folks here are savvy enough to do it, but the average customer? Nope. Think of it this way...think of the average customer, and then remember that half of them are below that average.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Haha. I haven't heard that reference since February. thanks for bring that back to me. Hahahahaha

Those Fee's!! Wow.... ok lets just not make it so the original wireless box can't support but 3 Joeys so we can make them buy the 4th joey and another $50 for another box to make just that one joey work. LOLz.... I mean really??

Those Fee's!! Wow.... ok lets just not make it so the original wireless box can't support but 3 Joeys so we can make them buy the 4th joey and another $50 for another box to make just that one joey work. LOLz.... I mean really??

Does it make sense to allow four Wireless Joeys on one WAP though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts