FOX broadcasting Superbowl in 720

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Since Fox is broadcasting the Superbowl in 720 should I set my receiver to display in 720 or keep it at 1080i? Will there be a lack of pic quality if I convert the signal up? My receiver is a Samsung TS 360 that finally has had the bugs removed.

Sharpie :

Dont worry about what resolution a TV show is broadcast in. If you do that you'll go nuts. Set the 360 to match the native resolution of your TV and you'll never have to worry about it ever.

I agree with TOS Enterprise; the easiest way is to set the receiver to always output what the TV displays natively. I do this with my Samsung DLP (native 720p) and HTL-HD. However, some will argue that you get better quality outputting the original signal unconverted and letting your display do the conversion.

The argument is that the TVs are more expensive components and are equipped with better converters. Thus if the signal is 720p and your TV is natively 1080i, it's better to have the receiver output the original 720p signal (TV does the conversion) than setting the receiver to 720p (receiver does the conversion). I have tried both setups, and I cannot see a difference, so I just leave the receiver output at 720p at all times, as this is easiest. You may wish to experiment; have your receiver go back and forth from 720p (unconverted) to 1080i (converted) on a 720p native signal (like ESPN HD) and see if you can spot a difference. You wouldn't want to do this all the time, but for big 'event' programming like the Superbowl it might be worth it to get that best possible picture.

--Dino

A little comentary on this: I know Rupert is ambivalent about HD and the only reason he followed suit was b/c of CBS to put anything in HD, but I wonder how difficult it would be to actually transmit 1080i for the superbowl or would it even be possible to do. I strongly suspect in the coming years that Tagliabue will lean on ole Rupert to maintain parity between the two major NFL broadcasters. Just speculation on my part.

riggscm said:
its my understanding that 720p is best suited for sports or fast action movement.
It is and will be until 1080p is out (if it ever is). The reason is (long argued) 720p is 720 line all at once, excelent for motion. 1080i is really 540p. I know, I know ... but unless I am watching a nature show or something... Either way, My SB will be in 1080i becuase that is all my TiVo and TV support.

Native resolution huh? Wow too bad my HD TiVo doesn't have that (yet)!

I will be TiVoing the SB but not watching. I am going to watch the FOX feed from Denver. Since FOX is my sole 100% signal for DTV I don't want any middlemen between me and the signal.

Sports is about the only time I watch live TV anyway.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slacker9876 said:
It is and will be until 1080p is out (if it ever is). The reason is (long argued) 720p is 720 line all at once, excelent for motion. 1080i is really 540p. I know, I know ... but unless I am watching a nature show or something... Either way, My SB will be in 1080i becuase that is all my TiVo and TV support.

Are you sure about that? :confused:

slacker is right about HD Tivo not doing native resolution as long as you agree to the definition of 'native resolution'; let's have a semantic debate!

More often and perhaps (no offense, slacker) more accurately referred to as 'native pass-through', 'native resolution' is a setting that ALWAYS passes the original signal's resolution through unconverted: if it's Discovery HD it is output at 1080i; change to ESPN HD and it is output at 720p, all without changing any settings on your STB.

Now with the HD Tivo (which I also have), you can change the ouput resolution, but every channel is then output at that resolution regardless of the original signal resolution. You can set the HD Tivo to always output to your TV's native resolution, as I do, but you cannot have the HD Tivo always, regardless of what channel you are on, output the native resolution of the original channel.

This is considered by many enthusiasts to be a real flaw in the HD Tivo, and they are constantly agitating for Tivo to fix this 'flaw'.

When I discussed in my previous post how I tried outputting the unconverted signal from the HD Tivo to let my TV do the conversion, that actually meant that for each individual channel I had to know what the native resolution was, and whenever I tuned to that channel I then set my HD Tivo to output that resolution so that it wouldn't be converted. Tedious. Fortunately, since I saw no picture quality improvement, I went back to the always-720p output setting for the HD Tivo.

--Dino

Re: Eagles

slacker9876 said:

I will be TiVoing the SB but not watching. I am going to watch the FOX feed from Denver. Since FOX is my sole 100% signal for DTV I don't want any middlemen between me and the signal.

Sports is about the only time I watch live TV anyway.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats all!
Pauly

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts