Fox Fort Wayne

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
If you are still waiting for Fort Wayne's new Fox affiliate to appear on Dish, here is a news release I found dated August 11:

"Granite Broadcasting recently secured the rights to air approximately 15 hours of FOX programming in Ft. Wayne, Ind., beginning Aug. 1, 2011, but has blocked DISH Network customers from watching it. Granite Broadcasting is demanding a nearly 325 percent rate hike over what we paid the previous FOX affiliate in Ft. Wayne, Ind., a rate hike so burdensome that it would ultimately result in higher prices for customers. DISH Network is diligently negotiating with Granite Broadcasting, and we’re hopeful we can reach a fair agreement."

I see that it is unlinked in glorious SD but not yet available. When Dish and Granite reach an agreement, I'd prefer to see Fox in HD and the former Fox carrier WFFT in SD. Until then, I can watch them both in HD OTA.

Until then, I can watch them both in HD OTA.

Which points out the ridiculous notion that the Sat or cable company should pay them at all. They have exclusive coverage for the sole reason they provide their signal for free. If they can not reach you, then you are in a white zone, and should be able to get a distant signal. But they managed to get that changed too, so that satellite companies can not give them to you if they carry the locals. So with all that protection, there should be no payment, it's Dish who is doing the locals the favor. These stupid demands is exactly why the system needs to change.
If elected I promise to...... oh, never mind... :)

dish does not like to carry locals.
they have none in my area, yet directv does.
dish actually announced they would have them, set up a press event.
then walked away from the negotiations

if your waiting for dish to carry it, you may have a long wait

So does Granite Broadcasting own any other stations in the country having this problem with Dish? What does the Dish contracts look like with CBS, NBC, ABC, in the Ft. Wayne market? What would happen if Dish allowed the HD feed from Indy to flow into the Ft. Wayne market?

dish does not like to carry locals.
they have none in my area, yet directv does.
dish actually announced they would have them, set up a press event.
then walked away from the negotiations

if your waiting for dish to carry it, you may have a long wait

Dish was the first to say locals need to be carried, and was the first to carry them, not Direct TV. If Dish walked away, good for them. Dish wants to and does carry almost all the local DMA's, what Dish does not like is being held ransom for something they shouldn't even be paying for. Read why in my post above.

mdram lives in Salisbury, MD where Dish has no agreement with a local channels there. He gets NBC from out of market and PBS. The rest are held hostage by honestly Dish.
Why could DIrectv reach an agreement with the 3 stations and Dish can't?

So does Granite Broadcasting own any other stations in the country having this problem with Dish? ?

Granite owns the NBC (and the CBS sort of) in Duluth, MN. Dish has both in HD and recently added the CW subchannel (from CBS) a month or so ago.
Duluth and Ft Wayne are a unique setup. Granite owns in essence 2 networks in the market. Malara Broadcasting (which is pretty much a shell corporation) owns one station in each market and gave the keys to Granite to run. In Duluth its CBS, Ft Wayne I **think** its ABC

mdram lives in Salisbury, MD where Dish has no agreement with a local channels there. He gets NBC from out of market and PBS. The rest are held hostage by honestly Dish.
Why could DIrectv reach an agreement with the 3 stations and Dish can't?

actually i get all my locals via sat now, i switched to directv :)

Granite owns the NBC (and the CBS sort of) in Duluth, MN. Dish has both in HD and recently added the CW subchannel (from CBS) a month or so ago.
Duluth and Ft Wayne are a unique setup. Granite owns in essence 2 networks in the market. Malara Broadcasting (which is pretty much a shell corporation) owns one station in each market and gave the keys to Granite to run. In Duluth its CBS, Ft Wayne I **think** its ABC

In Fort Wayne, Granite/Malara own the ABC, NBC and now Fox affiliates. Nexstar, the old Fox station's owner, is suing Granite for unfair business practices.
Nexstar files antitrust lawsuit against Granite - latimes.com

It has now been a month since Fort Wayne area Dish customers lost their Fox programming. The MyFox Fort Wayne website now directs Dish customers to www.dropdishinfortwayne.com (Drop Dish in Fort Wayne). The two options they give are (1) find another provider or (2) use an antenna. I take this move by the local company as a sign that they are not optimistic about reaching a deal with Dish. Two of my coworkers (only 11 in our department) have now switched from Dish to DirectTV. One more said her Dish contract is up in September. With football season starting, I may be joining them.

It has now been a month since Fort Wayne area Dish customers lost their Fox programming. The MyFox Fort Wayne website now directs Dish customers to www.dropdishinfortwayne.com (Drop Dish in Fort Wayne). The two options they give are (1) find another provider or (2) use an antenna. I take this move by the local company as a sign that they are not optimistic about reaching a deal with Dish. Two of my coworkers (only 11 in our department) have now switched from Dish to DirectTV. One more said her Dish contract is up in September. With football season starting, I may be joining them.

as i said before dish does not play well with locals
and they dont really care what thier subs think about it

They should have a good agreement. In April Dish added the CW subchannel in Duluth, MN. Granite owns NBC, My (subchannel) and "owns" CBS & CW (subchannel). I use "own" in quotes as Malara Broadcasting owns the CBS in Duluth and one of the stations in Ft Wayne. They basically handed the keys to Granite and said "have fun running it" and walked away.

So Dish has what sounds like a good agreement with Granite....now if they could add the My from Duluth I'd be real happy :)

This is (will be, might be) a totally new agreement between Granite and Dish, in that Granite only started with Fox the first of August. Obviously, neither party thinks this one is good at present.

Last edited:
I agree that they "should" have a good agreement with Granite Broadcasting but we are now at 36 days w/o a Fox affiliate in the Fort Wayne area. I hope they reach an agreement in the next couple of days since the NFL opens up this weekend!!!

Anyone heard anything on this channel being added by Dish?? We're beginning week 2 of NFL football and the fall tv lineup will be starting soon and we still do not have a fox affiliate on Dish in the Fort Wayne area!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts