FOX is at it again

Once upon a time ..Charlie Ergan Screwed Rupert Murdoch out of a few Satellite licenses..(somewhere in the 90's) this must be payback time once again

There is no differance...grr to Fox...other then NFL I could care less about Fox. I see they brought up monthly fees in the case and that was the differance. So maybe dish should drop thier reciever fees and just have programming fees?

Well, at least with the increasing fee's Dish can pay the lawyers to keep a feature active I dont use...

I'll tell you this, them fighting all the time with companies like Disney, CBS and Fox, all while saying they are trying to save us money, and then raising rcvr fees and trying to buy Sprint, is a BS story thats getting long in the tooth.

Obviously DISH needs more revenue to fight it's legal battles and to try to buy Sprint. Why else would they need to do a price hike on programming and then 3 months latter equipment fee hike too? But I to counter I dropped down to top 120 WITHOUT RSN and dropped off HBO 1/2 price and one joey. I dropped my bill by $50.00 a month. So when it goes up by $11.00 next month , I will still be saving $39.00 a month over what I was spending. If I could just talk my son out of his joey , I could save another $7.00 a month. He mostly watches Netflix and Youtube so he wouldn't miss it anyway. How you like that CHARLIE ?

Once upon a time ..Charlie Ergan Screwed Rupert Murdoch out of a few Satellite licenses..(somewhere in the 90's) this must be payback time once again
What goes around comes around, I'm glad Rupert donated 110 to the cause it was very important to the growth of DISH.

Well, at least with the increasing fee's Dish can pay the lawyers to keep a feature active I dont use...

I'll tell you this, them fighting all the time with companies like Disney, CBS and Fox, all while saying they are trying to save us money, and then raising rcvr fees and trying to buy Sprint, is a BS story thats getting long in the tooth.
This post has gotten so old. It seems people always have to whine about Dish charging fees.

With EPL going to NBC Sports, I've been checking options to get the best deal to get that channel. No one comes close to being competitive to Dish.

You keep telling yourself no one comes close to Dish...

Maybe for your one channel, but they arent the low cost leader everyone like to make them out to be. Yet, they are always trying to save "us" money LMAO.

You keep telling yourself no one comes close to Dish...

Maybe for your one channel, but they arent the low cost leader everyone like to make them out to be. Yet, they are always trying to save "us" money LMAO.
Who beats Dish if you have a single receiver and any non-uber basic package. Uverse costs a small fortune for HD, Directv has a high equipment fee to start with, Time Warner is pretty to hard to find out how much any thing costs.

Unless you pick a very entry level package, the difference in cost between D* and E* these days is pretty darned close.

As to Fox and the lawsuit, well they are just following the normal paths. IOW, keep throwing things at the wall to see what will stick!

Unless you pick a very entry level package, the difference in cost between D* and E* these days is pretty darned close.

As to Fox and the lawsuit, well they are just following the normal paths. IOW, keep throwing things at the wall to see what will stick!
It is close, but package to package, Dish look about a buck or two cheaper. And then the advanced receiver fee from Directv really puts the hurt on ($15 (which is discounted) to Dish's $7). Also Directv doesn't have the low priced Latino packages. They certainly are competitive, however. You do get more with Directv with some of their 'free' options and better RSN coverage, but that comes at a price.

I find it funny that the poster thinks my complaint is old, yet they throw out "but Dish is the cheapest". LOL, old defense there too.
I did ask a specific question. I'm no fanboy. But I keep reading about how Dish is raking subscribers over the coals with rates and when I look at my options and see I don't have any if I want a cheaper price. It is why I switched to Dish a number of years ago.

Fox and all the "big content" providers have a big problem. Technology has changed the game, and they don't want to change with it.

I do believe that Fox, et al, will lose.

And then the advanced receiver fee from Directv really puts the hurt on ($15 (which is discounted) to Dish's $7).

Well you are NOT even comparing apples to apples - you're comparing an account-level fee w/MRV DVR(s) on D*, to a single-room DVR(s) fee on E*...

If you have (non-Genie) DVR's on D*, but do NOT have MRV service, then the fee is only $10 ($8 actually for non-MRV subs prior to a few months ago); assuming of course, you are getting the HD fee waived - at least if you are a D* sub w/some sense.
So again, a small difference in E*'s favor - but again, not by THAT much...

And FYI; I switched to E* myself, but NOT because of any $$$ savings over D* - it's was because of D*'s old dog-a$$ slow receivers I had, that they refused to replace w/out another 2-year contract, as well as their lack of popular basic HD channels that I wanted, that E* already had for well over a year. I actually went with 722k's, as the H/J's were too new/too buggy & didn't have OTA tuners yet. And NOW that I see that E* is now going to rape subs with 2+ Hoppers - I will NOT be upgrading to Hoppers, & just be sticking w/my 722k's, thank you much. (even though $17/month for additional 722k's, IS ridiculous as well... )

Last edited:
Well you are NOT even comparing apples to apples - you're comparing an account-level fee w/MRV DVR on D*, to a single-room, single-DVR fee on E*...

If you have (non-Genie) DVR's on D*, but do NOT have MRV service, then the fee is only $10 ($8 actually for non-MRV subs prior to a few months ago); assuming of course, you are getting the HD fee waived - at least if you are a D* sub w/some sense.
If I just have an HD receiver in the basket, it tells me the fee is $25 a month with a $10 discount.

Perhaps Dish is trying to attract both the penny pincher and those that are high end wanting some of the more advanced technology on the market. They do have low entry packages although those are higher than what they used to be but still cheap. Then they have the multi-tuner DVR's that can even go wireless to the Joey's.

The networks need to stream their own content, providing their own service to compete.

It is only a matter of time before Dish loses one court battle about the Hoppers and they have to send a software hit to remove Auto Hop, and with this they only have to lose one court battle to lose this feature and you will have a ton of customers so pissed they leave and raise enough hell to get out of contracts.

One or the other is going to get nerfed soon... you can bet on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)