FOX is at it again

It is all going to come to a head when O&O networks finally come up for renegotiation. Fox could withhold O&O channels until Dish agrees to not skip commercials with hopper and disable sling on its boxes for Fox channels.

It will not matter if it is legal or not for Dish to offer PTAT, Sling or commercial skipping if Dish does not have any content to offer.

I don't support Fox on Slingbox, but Dish is definitely thieving from the Networks when it auto-skips over the commercials. That is part of the bargain.

I don't support Fox on Slingbox, but Dish is definitely thieving from the Networks when it auto-skips over the commercials. That is part of the bargain.

How is it thieving when Dish pays for retransmission?Also the autohop feature can only be enacted by the end user.

So I'm stealing when I skip commercials? And cable stations must be stealing when they air commercials since they were meant to be subscription based in exchange for no commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Millions of Americans are "Thieving" then every time they skip over commercials. Even the Courts have ruled in favor of fast forward or skip features. and so far specifically ruling the Networks appear to not be able to win against the Auto Hop feature.

Skipping commercials is no different then you going to the bathroom, or getting up and getting a beer from your fridge. One of the network CEO's even said this before.

If you have ever done this then you are an outlaw too. :)

dvrexpander said:
It is only a matter of time before Dish loses one court battle about the Hoppers and they have to send a software hit to remove Auto Hop, and with this they only have to lose one court battle to lose this feature and you will have a ton of customers so pissed they leave and raise enough hell to get out of contracts.

One or the other is going to get nerfed soon... you can bet on it.

I'm waiting for that day, as Charlie ain't on the winning side of lawsuits lately.

Millions of Americans are "Thieving" then every time they skip over commercials. Even the Courts have ruled in favor of fast forward or skip features. and so far specifically ruling the Networks appear to not be able to win against the Auto Hop feature.

The Networks aren't suing Dish over individuals skipping commericals or going to the bathroom during a commercial break.

They are suing Dish over automatically skipping commercials for the consumer. It would be the same thing as if Internet Explorer and Chrome automatically removed all of the ads from this entire website, so people wouldn't have to see them. I wonder what the owner of this website would say then, or just laugh it off as he goes out of business.

Last edited:
The Networks aren't suing Dish over individuals skipping commericals or going to the bathroom during a commercial break.

They are suing Dish over automatically skipping commercials for the consumer. It would be the same thing as if Internet Explorer and Chrome automatically removed all of the ads from this entire website, so people wouldn't have to see them. I wonder what the owner of this website would say then, or just laugh it off as he goes out of business.

Wth a Pub membership, we do skip ads. The site looks completely different to me if your not a pub member in regard to ads.

I am guessing there are many that chose to not be a pub member and thus they see many ads

I guess I wonder what portion of Hopper owners do decide to skip ads

Last edited:
I do skip commercials all the time using hopper and the fast forward button. But I will stop the FF if the ad is interesting or gives me some good information.

I also use adblock on selected websites . . it is a case by case basis . . I don't blanket remove all ads from all websites.

Last edited:
Well, at least with the increasing fee's Dish can pay the lawyers to keep a feature active I dont use...

I'll tell you this, them fighting all the time with companies like Disney, CBS and Fox, all while saying they are trying to save us money, and then raising rcvr fees and trying to buy Sprint, is a BS story thats getting long in the tooth.

Well lets look at the alternative. Dish fights with nobody, whatever an entertainment or sports provider wants to be paid Dish just pays it. Dish in turn just passes it on to the consumer just like most cable groups have done for years. Would that make you happy? Its the reason I dumped cable in the 90's in favor of Dish.

As for receiver fees, yes they annoy me. But I look at it as a return to Dish for all these "get a Hopper and a couple Joeys Free" and other like "specials". Also you would be amazed of all the added fees for the teleco's out there. My actual phone service isn't that much, but there is a list of additional fees. Look at you electric bill(if you have one), the additional fees are quite the list. One fee was to cover possible loss to the electric provider. Had to go online to see exact definition of the fee. And finally is cable free of all side charges and fees these days? I don't know so I am just asking.

So all I am saying is Dish isn't doing anything that many other businesses do.

But,but,but......I thought the Hopper has the option to turn off that feature. So if you want to see every commercial you can, its up to the consumer. Is that a bad thing?

Internet browsers already have that feature if again, the consumer chooses to in limited form, pop up ads for one. I have Adblock Plus on my PC but turned it off just for this site as to help them pay for keeping the site up. Again consumer choice.

But,but,but......I thought the Hopper has the option to turn off that feature. So if you want to see every commercial you can, its up to the consumer. Is that a bad thing?

And No Skip is the default, you have to physically move over to Skip to make it work. It is entirely up to the consumer to enable Auto Hop, each program, every time.....

Well if they make DISH remove the auto hop software , how many bet we see our new $14.00 dvr fee suddenly drop back down? I see it staying the same and if anything DISH would jack the dvr fees on the Vip receivers go up to match too.

I don't think it would affect Dish Pricing. Dish pricing is competitively based on DirecTV pricing and is about $10 cheaper.

In other words, if DTV raises their prices $15 next year, so will Dish.

You missed my point, completely. It IS user controlled, you must make the decision and effort to skip, just as you do now. The default is Auto Hop off. You are doing what the Networks are doing. The end result is the same, getting there is different, but still consumer controlled. Going by your thinking there can be no advancements in technology to accomplish the same thing.

As for ads on websites, very close to that is available now. Adblock hides many, and you can go into browsers and block sites, including where ads come from.

"Adblock Plus will always block annoying ads.Still, many websites rely on advertising revenues so we want to encourage websites to use plain and unobtrusive advertising instead of flashy banners. That's why the Adblock Plus community has establishedstrict guidelines to identify acceptable ads, and Adblock Plus allows these out of the box. You can always disable this feature if you want to block all ads.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)