Fox Movie Channel Widescreen Weekend

blabber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Fox Movie Channel is running announcements this week saying that during the Thanksgiving weekend, they'll be running a bunch of movies in wide-screen format, with the tag "Watch Movies The Way They Were Meant To Be Seen" or something to that effect. They demo'd with a "Die Hard" clip.

Should be great for those that have wide screens. :tux:

well, unless its HD, we'll just have to stretch the widescreen anyway right. Some shows on MTV are taped and broadcast in widescreen, but you still get the bars in 4:3 mode on your 16:9 TV. Then if you stretch that you are effectively stretching the material anyway. The only time that I've seen a widescreen TV accept a widescreen signal appropriately is through DVD's or HD material. Am I right on this. It would be very interesting if the worked tho.

Well, you're right, of course, and on my set I manually hit the 'zoom' button to watch these movies. But the resolution is pretty decent for standard definition on Fox and also on TCM, which often shows films in wide screen. If you're used to Hi-Def, it might look cruddy to you.

I think this same set of mine jumps automagically to wide mode when it detects it from the DVD via component connection.

I've noticed differences in resolutions between channels really become noticable in wide mode using zoom, of course. On NBC, "ER" is done in wide and it's sorta so-so. But "Over There" on FX looks pretty good in the same mode, same screen. I also got a better picture for "Star Trek: Enterprise" on WWOR and WSBK than from my local UPN affiliate, KMAX. So, your mileage may vary.

Yes, it all pales in comparision to true HD but showing a movie in it's OAR is still the best way to present it - especially if you have a 16:9 screen.

It doesn't have to be "true HD" to be anamorphic. Most DVDs are anamorphic. I make anamorphic S-VHS recordings from HD channels. Ultimately, the TV does the job of stretching it back out.

Almost all DISH and DirecTV receivers have the ability to handle anamorphic programming. I believe DirecTV used to have actual anamorphic PPV. If your receiver is set to 4:3, the receiver adds the letterbox bars. This is the same way DVD players work. At one time, I believe DirecTV offered anamorphic PPV.

It would be nice if a channel like this would do a true anamorphic film every once in a while. But cable viewers wouldn't be able to view them properly.

My TV looks beautiful when showing true anamorphic programming, but zoomed letterbox looks awful. (Especially on the overcompressed local channels.) Last night, my wife watched one of her favorite DVDs for the first time since we got a widescreen TV. It wasn't anamorphic, and it looked all jaggy when zoomed in. She didn't seem to mind, but I couldn't stand it.

I will now be checking DVDs before purchasing to make sure they are anamorphic (or "enhanced"). I'd rather have a 4:3 DVD than a non-anamorphic 16:9. My tiny production company can produce anamorphic DVDs, there's no reason a major studio should be putting crap like this out.

Well, it shouldn't matter if it's anamorphic 2:35:1. As long as it's a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9 or 2:35:1 it should fit properly on a 16:9 TV; the 2:35:1 having minute letterbox bars of course.

The only reason I would think that that DVD looked horrible to you would be if it was 4:3 and zoomed, which I am sure it's not considering you have a production company and obviously know to buy widescreen DVD's.

If E* gives the channel some decent bandwidth, these movies could look pretty good. Otherwise it will be a crying shame to have good movies in OAR but looking crappy.

HBO HD just carried Titanic in OAR the other night. I'd never seen the movie before. The shots of the ship were really nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts