Fox News Ratings Plunge After Dish Network Blackout

i say, good let the ratings drop as this hurts channels when they are in dispute. especially Fox News
i'll say this before it gets lock due to politics when someone thread jacks this thread and does what the other fox related threads have done, but:

In before the lock,

Cnn was resolved because no one watches that channel and they simply couldn't ask more money for it. The nightly ratings during primetime show that. Worse than Cnn in the ratings is now MSNBC. I agree that when this generation of cable tv viewers dies out , so will cable news stations.
It wasn't resolved. They came to a temporary (I believe three month) agreement just before the TBS and TNT contracts expired. I don't think Dish wants to be without TBS and TNT, so the two sides came together to give themselves more time to negotiate.

I find this slow trend away from Subscription based cable and satellite services that is taking place to be an amazing thing. So, I have questions. Are there about the same number of disputes as there used to be? Or are the recent disputes because the industry is changing?

A lot of people always complain. Very few people actually act on the threat of changing providers. Complicating the mix is many viewers are on contract and they cannot change. Plus there is a hassle factor with it. And as we age we lose tolerance for learning new things on remotes, etc, on how to control the technology. No doubt, some will switch. But in reality this is about forced bundling with other Fox channels. If Dish caves our rates go up. Dish knows that fees getting to $100 a month is a breaking point for many viewers.

I have to wonder why the CNN issue was suddenly resolved.....if this was part of a master plan Dish couldn't be down two news channels.

Given the history that Dish has with channels being dropped during negotiations, I suspect that most subscribers are like me and realize that this is not a permanent loss of the channel and are prepared to wait it out due to the hassles you describe. However, in time this is a deal breaker for me and many others. What that time period is, I am not sure. How many of us are there, who knows.

Unfortunately that's true. We were talking with my Father-In-Law yesterday and he was preparing to change providers over Fox. He had totally bought in to Fox's statement that mean old Dish was blocking them. We talked him down by explaining the other side of the story. We are big fans of FNC, but this isn't worth a change in providers. We've been with other providers and in the end the equipment just doesn't come close. I am beginning to try to find some other way to get FNC though. Maybe a Roku or basic subscription to the local cable just to get FNC.

It can be done with the roku. I don't think the how to can be discussed here, but I am watching FNC live.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The only Fox News live streaming I could find on Roku Stops streaming around 4PM. The other one I had was taken down. Great if you found one that streams at night.

i say, good let the ratings drop as this hurts channels when they are in dispute. especially Fox News
i'll say this before it gets lock due to politics when someone thread jacks this thread and does what the other fox related threads have done, but:

In before the lock,
Unnecessary

Considering that it's almost certainly not a legal stream, some googling is likely in order to find that information.

though even with that, they still got more viewers than CNN and MSNBC… combined.

I have always believed (and still do) that the only reason Fox News has the ratings it does, is because their average viewer is old and not tech savvy. They don't know how to get their right wing news from anything other than Fox News. Your more liberal viewer knows how to get their news from multiple sources, their TV, computer, smart phone, etc...

It has nothing to do with being old young man. Enjoy your youth while it lasts, because before you know it, you will be the old one.

Wall Street Analyst: Fox News Blackout On Dish Could Drag On

Not a very well written article, but the gist is that since both Charlie and Rupert are the founders of their respective empires, they're willing to tough it out longer than when the dynamic is different:

“They are both founders of their companies and that makes for a tougher negotiation and less backing off any kind of position,” says Harold Vogel, a veteran Wall Street media analyst and author of Entertainment Industry Economics: A Guide for Financial Analysts, which this month publishes its 9th edition.

“It is founder against founder,” Vogel tells The Hollywood Reporter. “That’s a different dynamic than we’ve seen in a lot of these fights and it points to a much longer, more brutal battle than we’ve had in previous similar instances.”

Both sides have things to lose, but those things which might push others to settle appear to mean a lot less in this case.

One interesting tidbit at the bottom of the piece, an apparent confirmation of which channels are causing the stalemate:

A source at Fox News says the dispute is over carriage of Fox Sports 1 and the FXX Network, not over Fox Business channel as stated in an earlier version of this article.

Yeah, the spokesman from Fox pretty much stated, between the lines, that this scuffle had nothing to do with FNC. Which is ridiculous. There are people that want the channel, and they are willing to use their desire for it as dirty leverage over channels those people may not even care about. Thoday was the first time I watch FS1 in a long while (FA Cup).
HA! So says you. I plan on staying young forever.
Need to be careful. I think violating the laws of physics is also against the Board rules.

As a long time Dish America subscriber (a package which does not have Fox News), I learned early on that the best way for me to get Fox News without changing to a more expensive package was to get a home kit for my SIRIUS/XM car radio receiver. I just grab the tiny satellite radio receiver from my car as I go into the house and pop it in the home cradle with AC adapter. The Fox News program audio on SIRIUS 114 is exactly the same as what's on TV (except for different commercials). I just plug the output into my stereo, or sometimes directly to a preamp for my headphones like the tiny, battery-operated Fujiyama FiiO E6, which allows me to listen on headphones by myself. I suppose you could even feed it to a radio using the built-in transmitter. You quickly get over not having the talking heads to look at, and when the beautiful women are speaking, you can actually concentrate on what they're saying! :) As a bonus, when those long commercial breaks come on, I can switch to one of my favorite music channels for a few minutes at the touch of a button.

Wall Street Analyst: Fox News Blackout On Dish Could Drag On

Not a very well written article, but the gist is that since both Charlie and Rupert are the founders of their respective empires, they're willing to tough it out longer than when the dynamic is different:

One interesting tidbit at the bottom of the piece, an apparent confirmation of which channels are causing the stalemate:
Sounds like this is a battle between two HUGE Egos. The continued losing lawsuits from FOX over the hopper and the back history between Murdoch and Ergen are only going to make this dispute go even longer. I see Charlie Ergen dropping the channels before he gives in on this one and I can't blame him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts