Fox will announce repackaging of Speed, Fuel

radiator65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Mississippi
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/s...hallenge-espn.html?pagewanted=1&smid=tw-share

Fox Sports 1 will launch in August.

"Fox is seeking substantially more for Fox Sports 1 than the 31-cent monthly subscriber fee that Speed gets, according to the media research firm SNL Kagan.

Bank estimated that Fox Sports 1 will probably charge cable, satellite and telephone companies 75 cents to $1 a subscriber. “At $1 a sub, it’s a massive home run,” he said.
By comparison, ESPN charges $5.15 a month and additional fees for its other channels."

This could get interesting!

Last edited:
It should be noted, Speed and Fuel will no longer exist, so still two channels. It's also unclear what the additional fee will be to carry Sports2. It's possible carrying the combination of the two won't be quite as much more as it looks, all depending on what that fee is for Sports2.
It would appear some race fans are not going to be happy not having races on free TV. And baseball is fracturing itself even more.

might be 5.15 for the espn suite of channels

One of the court summary articles in the Dish vs Disney thread quoted that ESPN was $5.15 for a certain provider, but I can't remember if that was a current price or if that was after a future increase written in the contract. It's close either way.

Guess this non sports fan will have to grab some lube and prepare to get raped again. First, 2 channels which will be asking many times there current rate. Second, a competitor to Disney that will raise prices for airing rights (simply by having more bidders), raising both the price for Fox Sports 1/2 AND ESPN.

Guess this non sports fan will have to grab some lube and prepare to get raped again. First, 2 channels which will be asking many times there current rate. Second, a competitor to Disney that will raise prices for airing rights (simply by having more bidders), raising both the price for Fox Sports 1/2 AND ESPN.

Time for the sports nuts to bend over!!!!! :eek: They pay for it at the stadium so why not at home.

Well, lets not jump too conclusions yet. Fox is consolidating their sports channels. The question is how much programming will be on FS 1, ie soccer, rugby, racing, football, etc... So the increase may not be as big as it seems, as it'd be FSC, Fuel, Speed, etc... Of course, most of their soccer is going away.

Fox might be anticipating carrier disaffection with ESPN, and ramping up an alternative for the upcoming contract negotiations and inevitable disputes. I would imagine they have the leverage to give ESPN a run for their money, content-wise.

Fox might be anticipating carrier disaffection with ESPN, and ramping up an alternative for the upcoming contract negotiations and inevitable disputes. I would imagine they have the leverage to give ESPN a run for their money, content-wise.
Fox can give ESPN a run for it's money in everything but the NFL. Soccer, college sports, baseball, basketball, etc. can be found on multiple channels. As long as ESPN has MNF, Fox might be on the outside looking in if there is a "sports" backlash.

I don't get the lure of MNF. Its on late and even if the Pats are playing, I'm not staying up to watch another hour of commercials.

I know speed and fuel are going away.. I think FSC is too. Fox will give ESPN more than a a run for its money. Expect big things, especially with the regional news coverage fox has with all the regional branded FSN's including BTN and other assets. This is a big deal for fox and I think they expect to overtake ESPN. Reggis Phillman has his own show on the network and given that they have UFC, Nascar, Soccor, MLB and NFL contracts already lined up for this channel, I expect ESPN's price to drop in the future to compete. The programming lineup on FSN1 will do very well against ESPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts