FOXSPORTS report: Rose bet on REDS every night they played

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
EVERY TIME he opens his mouth, he says something stupid. Damn I LOVE Pete Rose the player, but Pete Rose the RETIRED PLAYER is the biggest idiot in ALL of baseball.

For years, Pete Rose denied betting on baseball while he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds.

Now he admits to betting on his team every time they took the field.

Rose made the admission Wednesday while speaking on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Reds Hall of Fame.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," said Rose, who accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," he added. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

It was a somewhat stunning admission given that Rose spent nearly 15 years denying he'd ever bet on baseball. Only in 2004 did Rose acknowledge in his most recent autobiography that he made baseball wagers while managing the Reds.

Rose also said during the interview that he's no longer concerned about whether he'll ever be reinstated or if he'll ever be admitted into the Hall of Fame.

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6570162

I kinda figured he bet on them. I have never thought that he bet against them though. They won alot of games while he was manager.

He should still be in the HOF for what he did on the field but he should never be allowed back in baseball.

I kinda figured he bet on them. I have never thought that he bet against them though. They won alot of games while he was manager.

He should still be in the HOF for what he did on the field but he should never be allowed back in baseball.

No where have I seen that he said he bet against them.

As you mentioned, He belongs in the HOF as a player without a doubt .....
It's a shame the way society looks at this stuff.
It's OK to be a drug addict, or a wife beater and make the HOF ...............

Character was not a determent for those that got in.

Jimbo

No where have I seen that he said he bet against them.

As you mentioned, He belongs in the HOF as a player without a doubt .....
It's a shame the way society looks at this stuff.
It's OK to be a drug addict, or a wife beater and make the HOF ...............

Character was not a determent for those that got in.

Jimbo

Jimbo...don't even get me started on that. Lord knows we have a TON of those in the football hall of fame.:rolleyes:

I am glad I'm not a Cincinnati fan, there best baseball player ever can'y get in the HOF(I do think he deserves to be in there), can't win and now a days can't get in the superbowl and some of there football players get arrested.:D

I am glad I'm not a Cincinnati fan, there best baseball player ever can'y get in the HOF(I do think he deserves to be in there), can't win and now a days can't get in the superbowl and some of there football players get arrested.:D

WELL....thank GOD I am ONLY a REDS fan.

What do you mean can't win? They did alot better than I thought they would have last year and are looking pretty good so far in the Spring Training. They have the best record so far.

yeah, ramy. gotta ask what your take on josh hamilton is? looks like he's earned a place on the 25-man roster by playing some solid baseball. in fact, didn't i read at reds.com that he might start the season in center field unless junior starts showing up in a spring training lineup soon!!!!

What do you mean can't win? They did alot better than I thought they would have last year and are looking pretty good so far in the Spring Training. They have the best record so far.

Sorry typo I meant the Bungles can't win enough games to get in the superbowl.:p

Also spring training is spring training, we'll see how good they do in the regular season.

You know, I don't think it's so terrible to bet on your own team to win.

Now bet against your own team and try to get them to loose, that is something else.

Pete Rose should be in the HOF regardless of the fight with Buddy Harrelson in '73 and this coming from a Mets fan.. lol

I agree it doesn't sound bad to bet on your own team every game. I believe Rose said he bet on his team every game because if he skipped betting on any game it could give the misimpression that there was a reason (e.g., injuries to key players) to NOT bet on his team. However, I understand that MLB feels that any contact with gamblers can lead to undesirable acts.

I also think he should be in the HOF for all his on-the-field accomplishments. If necessary, add a statement to his HOF bio explaining that he had been ruled ineligible for the HOF for x years because of his gambling problem.

add a statement to his HOF bio explaining that he had been ruled ineligible for the HOF for x years because of his gambling problem.

After his playing days were over and he was managing.... make sure it's know that he didn't do it while he was playing.

See thats why there are the players wing a broadcasters wing and a managers wing.... they need to make this distintion and it won't happen till at least Selig is long gone.

Jimbo

Why would anyone believe this latest statement from Rose when he lied so blatantly before? Sorry, I'm not ready to believe him.

Who said anything about believing him ?

I'm saying he should be in, based on his playing career, unfortunatly that doesn't seem to matter to anyone in the baseball higher ups that do the voting.

I don't need to go thru all the people that ARE in that have questionable things that have done... they got in because of what they did ON the field, not after hours ....

Jimbo

I'm saying he should be in, based on his playing career, unfortunatly that doesn't seem to matter to anyone in the baseball higher ups that do the voting.

I don't need to go thru all the people that ARE in that have questionable things that have done... they got in because of what they did ON the field, not after hours ....

Jimbo

Good point!:up The CORRECT thing would allow him and his stats in the HOF and NEVER allow him to be part of baseball, whether they are major league or minor, ever again. But, MLB could not do a thing correct...even if they were hit in the head with a baseball bat.

Jimbo

That's what I think too, but with Selig in their he is just playing games with him. He told him he could be reinstated if he confessed and then reniged on his promise.

Because 1) I don't believe that he bet on "every" game. 2) If he didn't bet on every game, it can be inferred from that, that he in essence bet against his team by not betting. It's a tangled web that he wove and he got caught up in it. The integrity of the game would be irreparably damaged ala the Chicago Black Sox scandal. When you allow anything but physical ability to possibly influence the outcome of a game, the game is forever tainted. Sure he was a great player. But, when he was a manager he represented not only his team, but the league and baseball in general. He had it all. He blew it all. He's a liar. His actions affected all of baseball. He's not Laurence Taylor, or some other idget who messed up his own life. His actions possibly affected "the game" itself. When the integrity of the game is lost; there is no game. Huge difference here. He'll never get in!

Jimbo

I agree with you Sidekick; the integrity of the game comes before anything else. Pete Rose is a big boy, and he knew what he was doing and what the cost would be if he got caught. His only regret right now was that he got caught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts