Free C-Band dish available in Greenville, SC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dashaund

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Travelers Rest, SC
Hey guys! I am SOOOOO excited! I've finally found my free BUD locally, and will be able to hopefully help another FTAer out in the process. I went to my local AV dealer here in Greenville, SC (StereoVideo on Laurens Rd, right beside Gower Park) and was looking for some gear. I happened to mention the two BUDs they have outside. The owner told me if I wanted them I could take them down and take them home :eek: They have both a 12' and a 10' black mesh dish. I wasn't able to get any pics, but both dishes look to be in good condition. I couldn't tell what mounts they were. There seems to be some rust on them from age/weather. All of the bolts look a little rusty. But as far as the mesh, the 12' is perfect, and the 10' has a small tear on one panel, nothing major. I don't have room for both dishes on my property, so I was wondering if there are any FTAers here in the Upstate SC area that wanted to make a deal...if we could arrange to meet up at StereoVideo one day, and we could both help one another take them down, the meeting party could take one home. Any takers?

Man, if I were en route to my place in TN anytime soon, I would jump on it. Nov is my next trip that direction.
Good find and good on you for the offer.

Hey guys! I am SOOOOO excited! I've finally found my free BUD locally, and will be able to hopefully help another FTAer out in the process. I went to my local AV dealer here in Greenville, SC (StereoVideo on Laurens Rd, right beside Gower Park) and was looking for some gear. I happened to mention the two BUDs they have outside. The owner told me if I wanted them I could take them down and take them home :eek: They have both a 12' and a 10' black mesh dish. I wasn't able to get any pics, but both dishes look to be in good condition. I couldn't tell what mounts they were. There seems to be some rust on them from age/weather. All of the bolts look a little rusty. But as far as the mesh, the 12' is perfect, and the 10' has a small tear on one panel, nothing major. I don't have room for both dishes on my property, so I was wondering if there are any FTAers here in the Upstate SC area that wanted to make a deal...if we could arrange to meet up at StereoVideo one day, and we could both help one another take them down, the meeting party could take one home. Any takers?
You have a taker! I have a home in TR also and it has plenty of room for another dish! I will PM you after work tonight. Sorry Mjac maybe the next one will be in Tenn. lol1

You have a taker! I have a home in TR also and it has plenty of room for another dish! I will PM you after work tonight. Sorry Mjac maybe the next one will be in Tenn. lol1

Heh. Maybe I should just wait until you give up that CM down south. ;)

Heh. Maybe I should just wait until you give up that CM down south. ;)

Consider it yours as soon as this place sells. As long as I get this one or another I will not need the CM. My plans are for the Birdview to cover the Atlantic and the other dish to do the western sats.

Consider it yours as soon as this place sells. As long as I get this one or another I will not need the CM. My plans are for the Birdview to cover the Atlantic and the other dish to do the western sats.

Wow. That is awful generous of you. Thanks
Actually I'll be near Greenville sooner than Nov. I'll be just up the road in Spartanburg Aug 23-24 for a Rally start. I am not riding in the Rally :( but I will be there to see some friends off. Then its over to TN for a few days. I'll be on my bike :) so hauling a dish is out.
Good luck getting the Greenville dishes down.

Hey guys! Just thought I'd update things. I went by this afternoon and PB Blasted the dishes down. I'm still undecided whether I want the 10 or 12 footer. Obviously, I'd like to have the 12 footer for more gain but I think this being my first BUD, the 10 might be easier to setup and manage. I've heard here in SC the 12's have so much gain that it starts pulling signals from nearby sats and they're harder to align. But, we'll see. Attatched are photos. What makes me sick is the owner of the electronics store that is giving them to me and Comptech actually had about 12 other dishes new in boxes ranging from 6 to 12 foot stored in the backroom, and in January he filled an entire dumpster full of stock, including the dishes and related parts (LNBs, actuators, etc...). :( Can anyone tell me what kind of dishes and mounts these are?

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 171
GET THE 12, GET THE 12, GET THE 12! :)

The 12 footer will be LESS likely to suffer from cross-satellite interference, provided the dish is rated for 2 degree spacing, which is the issue we're dealing with.

And is no harder to aim other than the dish being just a little bigger. And you WILL NEVER regret the extra dish when trying to get that weak signal. Never.

I love my 12' Paraclipse, no regrets. :up

The 2 dishes are in the pix are made by UNIMASH go and get both of them

GET THE 12, GET THE 12, GET THE 12! :)

The 12 footer will be LESS likely to suffer from cross-satellite interference, provided the dish is rated for 2 degree spacing, which is the issue we're dealing with.

And is no harder to aim other than the dish being just a little bigger. And you WILL NEVER regret the extra dish when trying to get that weak signal. Never.

I love my 12' Paraclipse, no regrets. :up

I'm not really sure what it's "rated" for to be honest. What kind of mount do these have on them? Polar?

Hey guys! Just thought I'd update things. I went by this afternoon and PB Blasted the dishes down. I'm still undecided whether I want the 10 or 12 footer. Obviously, I'd like to have the 12 footer for more gain but I think this being my first BUD, the 10 might be easier to setup and manage. I've heard here in SC the 12's have so much gain that it starts pulling signals from nearby sats and they're harder to align. But, we'll see. Attatched are photos. What makes me sick is the owner of the electronics store that is giving them to me and Comptech actually had about 12 other dishes new in boxes ranging from 6 to 12 foot stored in the backroom, and in January he filled an entire dumpster full of stock, including the dishes and related parts (LNBs, actuators, etc...). :( Can anyone tell me what kind of dishes and mounts these are?

I made it up here today. Iwill go look at them tommorow. Iwill let you know what we will need to remove them. Do me a favor and PM me your phone# again as I left it in Florida.

For Mjac

Bye the way I found the remote for the GI650 I gave you. Buried in the attic and batteries leaking something fierce. Needless to say dumpster.

Thanks Nick. I wound up with one off ebay. 10 bucks IIRC.
Aside from a few rusty fasteners, it looks like some easy pickins.
Ya'll take care ya hear.

I'm not really sure what it's "rated" for to be honest. What kind of mount do these have on them? Polar?

Yeah those are Polar Mounts, with actuators. I am not familiar with Unimesh dishes, which is why I didnt pipe up, but they do look like Unimesh brand, which have a good rep in the sat world, some cable companies use them I am told.

Did I mention that I recommend you get the 12 foot dish? :)

Okay, fine, I'll get the 12. I'm not looking forward to digging the base for the mount and filling it with concrete. I'm getting sore already just thinking about it.

I went buy and looked at them today.They are Unimesh's and in really good shape. I will be more than happy to take the twelve if you have a space problem. I will call you today and see if I can start getting them down tomorrow so that on wensday it will be easier to get them off the poles.

12 foot Unimesh's Rock :D Proud owner of a 12XL since 1989. :)

Attachments

• 12footUNI.jpg
    12footUNI.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 10footUNI.jpg
    10footUNI.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

The Unimesh 12XL I have is better than 2 degree compliant.

The larger the dish the harder it is to aim since it is more precise (less wiggle room) But once you hit the sweet spot it will collect more signal. On weak signals 12's Rock! :D

Okay, fine, I'll get the 12. I'm not looking forward to digging the base for the mount and filling it with concrete. I'm getting sore already just thinking about it.

Part of the game. The real fun comes when it's all done and your scanning the sky's. Well worth all the back breaking work. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts