Free Channels Coming to XM?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am hearing a strong rumor that starting in August many of the channels programmed by Clear Channel will be made free on XM radios and will be tuneable without a subscription to XM.

Of course the Clear Channel stations have commercials, but I kind of like the idea (and also like their Rock@Random channel) :)

I would say that is a fair trade in exchange for commercials. It wouldn't be much different than OTA radio except non-localized ads. With the price increases and sluggish economy, there are going to be a lot of subscribers letting their service go. This would give them some usage out of the radios built into cars, the external units like the Roady, and others.

I was going to let mine go with the price increase and charging for online but when I called to cancel they gave me a really good deal (cheaper than I ever paid prior to this renewal) with free online for that renewed year.

What ever happened with the online bitrate fight you were in with them? I listen online but only to talk on the computer and didn't notice it getting any better. I am still not happy about the music channel changes way back last summer but like I said, I got a good deal renewing both our radios and thought I'd give it another year. I really only listen to like two music stations and a couple talk stations period so I could give or take it if they try to nail me next year. At least I know now I could tune something for a cross country trip if I got rid of it as opposed to pulling the radio and searching for AM/FM stations as i go down the Interstate.

i noticed a lot of commercials tonight listening to sirius 103 blue collar comedy. i don't recall that many before. i guess sirius/xm is doing something to stay alive.

This is great news. I like radio with commercials... being able to listen to one station as i travel from state to state will be nice. Plus it will be a better selection than some middle of nowhere places.

I am hearing a strong rumor that starting in August many of the channels programmed by Clear Channel will be made free on XM radios and will be tuneable without a subscription to XM.

Of course the Clear Channel stations have commercials, but I kind of like the idea (and also like their Rock@Random channel) :)
Love that channel as well. Listen to it more than Classic Vinyl now.

If this is true, is there any indication that these same stations will be available on Sirius/XM on-line as well? I know rock@random is not on-line.

The reason I ask is the on-line channels are available on the siriusxm iPhone app.

Great offering. This could get people to buy radios just to listen to these stations (without a promotion) and later those people may like the idea of satellite radio so much that they may subscribe.

This is what they should do on satellite tv as well.

Great offering. This could get people to buy radios just to listen to these stations (without a promotion) and later those people may like the idea of satellite radio so much that they may subscribe.

This is what they should do on satellite tv as well.

In the case of satellite radio, and even more so satellite TV, the cost of the equipment and install is subsidized by the money they earn in the subscription.

If I had to pay $500 for an HD-DVR and $250 to have some guy install it and run the wiring, for a couple free commercial laced channels, I sure wouldn't do it. And then to think I might be motivated to then subscribe to more channels? It may work for sat radio because it is cheaper and in vehicles already. But it wouldn't work for TV unless it was an apartment building or something with a ton of people that are connected and might get turned on to subscribe. But not single dwelling hoems.

I would love this for my inactive SkyFi3. Plus, I have a spare MyFi. I love the Rock@Random channel (XM161) and THE MIX (XM22).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts