Free dish for 61.5 satellite

bobd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55418
How to get a second dish for free. I live here in minneapolis mn. If i say i whant a dish for cbs hd at 61.5 location will i get this for free plus the needed switch. I only have what looks like a brass block with the rg6 connected to it and the ground wire to the house service ground system. Have only one 811 receiver to one hdtv. SO if i say i whant cbs hd could i use this dish for voom instead of cbs hd.

bobd, all you have to do is call Dish and ask them for an additional dish to see channel 22 KAWE. It is in our locals package, but they put it on the 61.5 satellite, where as all of our other locals are on 110/119. When you have it hooked up, you can then call Dish back and ask them to turn on CBS-HD NY for you, and possibly the new Voom channels. And yes, the new dish and switch will be installed for free, because they put that one local channel on the 61.5 satellite.

I do not subscribe to locals anymore

cclement said:
bobd, all you have to do is call Dish and ask them for an additional dish to see channel 22 KAWE. It is in our locals package, but they put it on the 61.5 satellite, where as all of our other locals are on 110/119. When you have it hooked up, you can then call Dish back and ask them to turn on CBS-HD NY for you, and possibly the new Voom channels. And yes, the new dish and switch will be installed for free, because they put that one local channel on the 61.5 satellite.

I get them for free with my 811 ota an a indoor antenna. Will i have to add locals to get this.

Free dish install for 61.5

I would like to thank members cclement and styxfix for all your help. I am sure glade that kawe is on the 61.5 location and i will get the dish installed for free.I also asked the csr how long i had to keep the locals for the free dish and she said no time commitment. So i guess a can drop them for just a 5.00 bucks downgrade free after a short time. Great way to save the 99.00 second dish fee.

Is there any way to call to order the second dish for your locals but do a self install? I am in a situation where I have "moved" and won't be able to have someone come out and install it. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation.

Not free if just for CBS-HD

They won't come out and install a dish if it is just for CBS-HD, it'll be $50. This recently changed in March. But if u have a local that is on 61.5 (such as 22), that is called a "MUST CARRY"; by law, they have to come do it for free. :cool:

TAC:
Don't call Dish and ask for that. They won't do it. If you buy it from them direct, they have to install it. But go to a retailer, they'll sell u one and u can install it yourself (or serve a salad out of it, they don't care !)
Better yet, find an old one on an old empty house, or ebay, you'll find 'em without an LNBF probably. Then just buy the LNBF by itself from a retailer.
But if you try to get it direct, they'll tell you about liability and "professional" installation required :mad: .

bobd said:
How to get a second dish for free. I live here in minneapolis mn. If i say i whant a dish for cbs hd at 61.5 location will i get this for free plus the needed switch. I only have what looks like a brass block with the rg6 connected to it and the ground wire to the house service ground system. Have only one 811 receiver to one hdtv. SO if i say i whant cbs hd could i use this dish for voom instead of cbs hd.

bob

If you have locals, you will get CBS-HD for free since WCCO is Owned & operated. If you don't have locals, I don't think you can get CBS-HD

But anyone in the Minneapolis DMA and have locals...if you want the 2nd dish for free, call Dish and tell them you need it for KAWE Channel 22 (8583 on old receivers)...Don't say anything about Voom channels because they will try to get you to pay $100

on a side note....Its funny that KAWE can be seen in places that would never be able to see them (any place south of St Cloud).

From the EKB:

Subscribers with local channels in the following cities automatically qualify to get a FREE dish at 61.5°.

An FCC ruling states that if Dish offers some local channels in any local market on a side slot like 61.5° Dish must provide a free equipment and installation in order to receive the additional local channels. No strings attached. The only condition is that you subscribe to your local channels at the time you order the side slot dish and at the time of installation. The number in parentheses is the number of local stations in that market at 61.5°. For details go HERE

Atlanta, GA (3)
Boston, MA (5)
Buffalo, NY (2)
Chicago, IL (6)
Cleveland, OH (2)
Detroit, MI (1)
Greenville, SC (2)
Indianapolis, IN (1)
Louisville, KY (2)
Memphis, TN (1)
Minneapolis, MN (1)
Nashville, TN (2)
New York, NY (8)
Orlando, FL (5)
Paducah, KY (1)
Philadelphia, PA (5)
Pittsburgh, PA (1)
Roanoke, VA (2)
St. Louis, MO (2)
Tampa, FL (5)
Washington, D.C. (5)

Yes, same situation, I am at my Summer house lol, but if I have to call for service, they go to my winter house lol, then my father in law wonders what they hell they are doing.

I have 2 shopping channels on 148, so I called up and asked for them to come install a free dish. Hopefully they mirror the VOOM channels on 148 soon. There is no way I can see 61.5.

WLong said:
I have 2 shopping channels on 148, so I called up and asked for them to come install a free dish. Hopefully they mirror the VOOM channels on 148 soon. There is no way I can see 61.5.

They gave you a FREE dish at 148 for two non-required shopping channels?

I will get my free dish on 5/4/05. I hope they showup. I did what all you guys told me to do. Ask for kawe. I will downgrade after two or three weeks and pay the 5.00 fee. I have good luck with my silver sensor indoor antenna and a preamp it pulls in my channels in the basement. I am 6.0 miles from the antenna farm in shoreview. CBS comes at 80 percent ABC at 73 NBC at 83 ABC is about the lowest. The preamp helped alot as my big screen is in the basement. Thanks again for all your help.

peid said:
They gave you a FREE dish at 148 for two non-required shopping channels?

And they DONT give you a free dish which is required for the programming you subscribe for?? (Voom channels)

I dont try to figure out E*.. their business practices make absolutely no sense.

They have to. They did not so it out of the goodnes of their heart.

Right, it's NOT E* "policy", it's FCC regs.

If some stupid local broadcast shopping channel managed to qualify for "must carry", then E* has to treat them the same as any major network. :cool:

bobd said:
I will get my free dish on 5/4/05. I hope they showup. I did what all you guys told me to do. Ask for kawe. I will downgrade after two or three weeks and pay the 5.00 fee. I have good luck with my silver sensor indoor antenna and a preamp it pulls in my channels in the basement. I am 6.0 miles from the antenna farm in shoreview. CBS comes at 80 percent ABC at 73 NBC at 83 ABC is about the lowest. The preamp helped alot as my big screen is in the basement. Thanks again for all your help.
They are coming out to install my new dish next Monday. I don't know anything about KAWE but if I can get CBS HD and the VOOM channels with no install cost, it is worth having another dish on my roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts