Free Dish Hd Dvr For Everyone ???

JBtampa

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
HERE'S THE SCOOP

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B533864B5-47CB-47CF-AC83-ADC480025684%7D&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk&symb=[/URL]

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

From the article:

DISH39.73, -0.61, -1.5% ) and its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service announced today that starting Feb. 1, 2007, it will offer new DISH Network customers the highly-acclaimed, high definition ViP622 DVR(TM) receiver for free as part of the Digital Home Advantage Program. The ViP622 DVR is the first HD DVR in the satellite industry to be offered with no upfront cost to new subscribers, giving viewers a unique opportunity to experience the exciting world of HD and commercial-free TV.

Existing customers must pay $149 up front, receive a $50 rebate reducing the price to $99, and then receive $10 discounts for 10 months which equals $100.

SO: Existing customers are paid $1 to upgrade to the 622. Better than free!

Unless you already have the HD package, then you do not get the $10 month discount for ten months, just the $49 rebate.

Existing customers must pay $149 up front, receive a $50 rebate reducing the price to $99, and then receive $10 discounts for 10 months which equals $100.

SO: Existing customers are paid $1 to upgrade to the 622. Better than free!

That's only for existing customers who did not subscribe to DishHD. I have been a DishHD subscriber so I wouldn't get the $10/month discount. I would still get the $50 rebate, though.

I think it would be wise for Dish to move towards the 622 as their sole set top box.

1. It actually works pretty good. (reduced support costs)
2. It has MPEG4 (saves Bandwidth, increases capability of existing satellites)
3. It has HD (they can get the HD $$$)
4. It is a DVR (they get the DVR Fee)
5. It has VoD (Potential revenue source)
6. It has an Ethernet Jack (numerous potential broadband uses)
7. It supports two TVs (reduced deployment costs)
8. It has a USB 2.0 port (Ext Storage, Pocket Dish, and future uses)

Basically if they make this their base receiver, it will have all the features that could want to bring in revenue, and they'd save the money on not having to support numerous receivers. If they phase out all of the SD only receivers and replace them with 622, the can move all the SD channels to MPEG4, and kill off having to support all of those past SD only models.

Plus they can get revenue from the features that the 622 brings into the home, such as HD, DVR fee, and VoD. Not to mention whatever they end up doing with the ethernet and usb ports.

In Short: I expect these "upgrade to a 622" receiver offers to be around for while, just because it makes sense for them in the long run.

Any news about the ability to lease more than 2 622 receivers?

Not exactly true. Some customers pay $149, some $169, some $199. I don't think there is any way to tell if you fall into Plan A, B, or C without calling. I'm not sure that everyone qualifies for the $50 rebate either. What I read states that a customer "may" qualify for a $50 rebate. You won't know whether you do until you try to upgrade.

Considering the cost of a Dish monthly bill is around $100, the 622 upgrade plan for current HD subscribers isnt all that bad really. *IF* people qualify for the $149 and $50 credit.

But fast forward to April when this plan expires. Is that when the next generation 622 comes out? USB? If so I imagine the price to upgrade to one of those wouldnt be more than $150... maybe. But in the end, unless they want to give me a 622 today for free I will wait until then. Also because upgrading can only be done once in any 12 month period and I would have to wait until 2008 to get the new one unless I paid full price.

Still.. those that do get the first of the new DVRs will become beta testers ;-)

Not exactly true. Some customers pay $149, some $169, some $199. I don't think there is any way to tell if you fall into Plan A, B, or C without calling. I'm not sure that everyone qualifies for the $50 rebate either. What I read states that a customer "may" qualify for a $50 rebate. You won't know whether you do until you try to upgrade.

Do you know what criteria they use to determine if you are A, B, or C?

E-mail from xxxxxxxxxxx

That's only for existing customers who did not subscribe to DishHD. I have been a DishHD subscriber so I wouldn't get the $10/month discount. I would still get the $50 rebate, though.

I have review your account and unfortunately will not be able to wave the upgrade fee for the 622. This is what we can do; there is a $149 upgrade fee for all existing customers. I will give you the $50 rebate without having to fill out anything online. The upgrade fee will be $99, that I have to collect up front and I will add a code to your account that will give you a $10 credit off your monthly programming for the next ten months.
xxxxxxxxxxx
Executive Communications
Echostar Satellite LLC
Phone- xxxxxxxxxxxx
E-mail:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I currently have the 211 receiver and the HD package.
Floyd Zimmerman

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts