Free "dish movers"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I'm moving soon and starting to thin the collection.

A couple of old analog receivers are first in line for recycling, unless someone wants them. Free, but I won't pay shipping (they're heavy). You pay or pickup (Silicon Valley)

General Instrument 550i
Drake ESR1824

The GI works, the Drake powers up and relays click so I presume it works. Remote controls included. They'll serve as dish movers. The GI has a handy RF remote, so you can switch satellites from out at the dish.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
Those Drake receivers were extremely well built. I use one for a dish mover and have it programmed to go to a satellite position using the last 2 digits of the longitude entered into the remote, to move into position. Works great! YES - they are heavy, used real METAL, instead of plastic and composite to build the structure of the receiver, and have a transformer power supply instead of the wall-wart.... Will probably last forever....

Those Drake receivers were extremely well built. I use one for a dish mover and have it programmed to go to a satellite position using the last 2 digits of the longitude entered into the remote, to move into position. Works great! YES - they are heavy, used real METAL, instead of plastic and composite to build the structure of the receiver, and have a transformer power supply instead of the wall-wart.... Will probably last forever....

You're right about that. It was thrown in when I bought a used C-band dish. I was a little amused to see it, the essentially worthless piece of gear it has become, because when I was a teen in the late 90s in the UK and satellite TV was just starting, the Drake and the Echostar 5500/6500 were THE ultimate receivers to own.

I lusted after one for so many years and could never afford it. Now, 25 years later, I finally got one and I'm giving it away :)

And neat set up with setting the last two digits to the position!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)