free downloadable azmith & elevation calculator software ?

Canuk-sat-newbie

Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Hi,
Is there a solid, downloadable piece of software I can get that will take Lat - Long values (I have a good GPS unit) and cough up the angles for the Anik F1 satellite ?

I am a frustrated Canadian Star*Choice user, trying to point the elliptical dish to the F1 bird and get my money's worth as I travel across the continent in my RV. The issue is getting an accurate set of angles from Star*Choice, for the various U.S. and Canadian locations through which we travel.
I need to have s/w that I can use without a Web connection. There seem to be lots of web-enabled software, but I have yet to see any programs that can be loaded onto a PC and run without a link to the 'net.

Any help or links greatly appreciated !
Sincerely,

Canuk-sat-newbie

Pepper said:
http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/

This is a .JAR (JavaScript) - you can specify any zipcode in the US, it also takes longitude and latitude values.
That is the software I use - just be sure that the orbital position is correct for the bird you are gunning for. I don't think Anik has moved from 107.3 so you're probably safe.

The satellite list in that software hasn't been updated in a while. Most of us over at the FTA forum built out own custom data files for 'SatFinder'.

Good Luck!

Only problem with the latest version of SatFinder (4.0) is that it requires Sun Java to run - I have a lot of trouble with Sun Java. The older version, 3.8, runs fine without Sun Java (didn't check if it even uses Java - I think not). If you can't find it let me know and I'll put the .zip on here or in an email with an updated sat list.

Perfesser said:
Only problem with the latest version of SatFinder (4.0) is that it requires Sun Java to run - I have a lot of trouble with Sun Java. The older version, 3.8, runs fine without Sun Java (didn't check if it even uses Java - I think not). If you can't find it let me know and I'll put the .zip on here or in an email with an updated sat list.
If SunJava gives you problems with IE, don't have it install the IE tie-in.

Sadly, it's getting to the point where SunJava is going to be the only game in town for Java. :(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)