Free-for-all info

jhamps10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Flora, IL
I found out today about a deal for new subs. You buy the equipment, and over a period of time, you get credits to make the system free, or even slightly getting a profit! Is this a good deal, has anyone done this type of deal, the thing is, no credit card is required, unlike the DHA. I know that my grandmother when she got E* had this type of deal for 1 TV. I only have 1 TV and also would like to have a DVR as well, so could you get this with this type of deal? I honestly do not know and am asking.

Well with a DVR you will not be getting enough credits to make the system free over a period of time. The credits for a single receiver system are $5 a month over a 30 month time span so it will take a while to get all of your credits in the first place. Plus it will run you around $250-$300 for a DVR system purchase under the Free For All program. Frankly unless you really need to own your equipment or you don't qualify for the DHA program you're better off going with DHA if you want to get a DVR.

A 522/625 DVR is $350. It will give you 100 hours of record time and outputs to two televisions. A $5.98 DVR fee applies but if you connect it to a phoneline the $4.99 additional outlet fee is waived. You can get a 510 for $300 but it only has one tuner instead of two.

nsafreak said:
Well with a DVR you will not be getting enough credits to make the system free over a period of time. The credits for a single receiver system are $5 a month over a 30 month time span so it will take a while to get all of your credits in the first place. Plus it will run you around $250-$300 for a DVR system purchase under the Free For All program. Frankly unless you really need to own your equipment or you don't qualify for the DHA program you're better off going with DHA if you want to get a DVR.

Well, one advantage to owning your equipment is that if you have a service call, you will be paying to fix YOUR equipment, as opposed to paying to fix Dish's equipment under a DHA.

chadzx11 said:
Well, one advantage to owning your equipment is that if you have a service call, you will be paying to fix YOUR equipment, as opposed to paying to fix Dish's equipment under a DHA.

True but the advantage to owning your equipment has become less and less over the years. I'm quite sure that if the op decides to go with the FFA program he won't be making any money off of it. Plus let's say, heaven forbid, his DVR needs to be replaced outside of the warranty period. He will have two options:

1) He pays the warranty replacement cost ($49.99 last I checked plus shipping)
2) He starts paying for DHPP at $5.99 a month

If he was a DHA customer the most he would have to worry about would be paying for the cost of shipping if he wasn't already under DHPP. At the end of his time with E* the best he can hope for is to break even on the sale of the receiver if he sells it off as there is no way he's going to sell it for the same amount he originally paid for it.

The only advantages to owning E* equipment over the DHA lease plan, that I can think off.
1. If you cancel your account at some point of time on a temporary bases you will not have to return the equipment.
2. If you cancel on a permanent bases or deactivate one or more receivers on your account, you can sell or give them away.
3. If you want "a la carte" programing from E* like just Superstion's or International channels or just a Premium package or just the Outdoor channel or a handful of other channels or mini packs that E* offers without a qualifying basic package, you can do this if you own all of your equipment. On the DHA lease plan or a owned leased mixture you are required to keep a qualifying basic package; DF, AT60 or higher, DL or higher, HD Bronze or higher.

Paying $5.99 for a year is about $72 a year. The cost for an out of warranty repair on an HD/DVR receiver is more (around $70 I think) than what the nonHD receiver out of warranty repair costs (around $50).

Thanks guys on the comments. I'm hoping to be able to order it tommorow or tuesday at the latest. I think I will go with the free for all promo and just get the regular reciever for right now, if I want a DVR later I can always go to an electronics store and get a TIVO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts