Free HR20 from DTV after bad HR10-250? Any gotchas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree with the answers here saying to use caution and not to believe these so called 'promises' unless you have recorded everything chapter and verse. Twice, DirecTV has tried to slam us with a two year service commitment for adding or exchanging an owned receiver, always claiming falsely that we signed or said something which so obligated us when we had not. This is like signing a $2400 promissory note to get a 'free' receiver, and then being contractually bound to these jerks for two years. Yikes. We think DirecTV's business practices are so utterly reprehensible that we have cancelled our service entirely to move to Verizon FIOS, even though it means we get reduced capability from Verizon's antique crappy boxes and we give up ten years of D* service and junk four owned boxes. But, better signal, more channels, less money for more equipment and NO promise to pay and pay and pay regardless of the crappy service you get from DirecTV. Did I say that the cost of switching to Verizon was $0? Zip, nada-no money, no commitment, no collection mobsters. Two year service commitments are not a good buy. Add it up.

There WAS a Gotcha. They LIED.

Oh my gosh! They Lied?! Gee, that never happens with DishonesTV! !sadroll

I think there is an example of them telling the truth circa 1995. Every time I see a post about DirecTV with a member of our forum believing a Direc CSR I just wait a couple of days to see the 100% "Oh my gosh! DirecTV was less than truthful!" post.

DirecTV is a behind the scenes mob run , (yes, organized crime) joke.

Good luck my friend.

Like I said, I have no problem with them 'giving' me a box 'to use', not to own. I mean, if I don't have DirecTV I can't use this box anyway... but the lie, not once but TWICE, from two different reps, just tells me they have an official policy of lying to their customers.

My account committment expires in October. If Verizon FIOS is in my area then (and it may well be) I will seriously consider moving...

The unit would be a free upgrade because he has had the HR10-250 active for less than a year.

Also, if he had the Protection Plan then all Owned replacements are for Owned receivers.

If you own your equipment you will get leased receiver replacements if you are out of warranty and do not have the Protection Plan.

The HR10-250 has a 1 year warranty so it is a in-warranty replacement. Pity the HR20 only has a 90-day warranty.

However, if you upgraded the dish to the 5 LNB THEN you would have a commitment.

Last edited:
Also, if he had the Protection Plan then all Owned replacements are for Owned receivers.

You've got to be careful about that. I had an owned R15 that needed to be replaced and I had the protection plan. After I activated it, it showed up as leased in their system. I had to call in and fight to get then to change it back to owned.

Well. The pendulum has swung back to happy. *Way* back.

A D* call center supervisor who shall remain nameless saw my postings here and fixed things. The unit IS owned by me. The two D* support personnel who said I would own the unit were correct. The D* person who activated by HR10-250 was incorrect in saying it was leased; they needed (and did not have) knowledge of the means to override the default setting ('leased') to designate the HR10-250 as owned. The account information now correctly indicates that I own the new HR10-250.

BTW I am told the fact that I got an HR10 is, in this guy's words, 'a miracle' as they're not being manufactured any more.

Even if I don't always get what I want, it's nice to know a company is keeping it's eyes open and it's ears to the ground. In this case I got what I want in spades. I am once again a happy DirecTV customer. Very happy.

My HR10-250 is continually rebooting, Green screen of death, etc. I called DTV and they are sending me a free HR20-700. They say I will own it, not lease it, and that no contract extension is required. I was dumbfounded.

My plan is to try to repair the HR10-250 with a new drive (DTV says it's "definitely the hard drive"), then sell the HR20 on eBay once the HR10 is back in action. (If I can:cool: )

The HR20 that comes to you as an exchange for the HR10-250, will be one you own if set up that way.

HOWEVER, if you sell it on eBay to anyone else, they have been known to refuse to activate them - as they are not transferable and will be activated on your account.

BTW I am told the fact that I got an HR10 is, in this guy's words, 'a miracle' as they're not being manufactured any more.

That is correct. I had the installers butcher one in the last 7 days that I had planned to use for something else on another account - and now cannot do that - as they are replacing it with a HR20 and as noted above, it cannot be moved to another account.

Almost invariably, if you replace any D* receiver now under the protection plan, they will TELL you it's an owned for owned swap, but they will list it on your profile as leased until you complain. And, they may just also slide in a two year service commitment, so buyer beware and protect yourself. There is no way to tell if it's just inept people (of which D* has many) or willful customer slamming and deceptive trade practices.

Anyone ever heard of D* making an errror in the consumer's favor and showing a leased receiver as owned with no service commitment? Thought so.

The problem I've always had with it is that a D* consumer must really work hard, as evidenced by this thread, to get what they were entitled to in the first place. Is there anyone who thinks you should just get good and honest service without having to fight and cover your behind? Ahhh, there's the rub.....

FWIW I have to say that I had thrown up my hands and surrendered -- it was a DTV Customer Service rep who saw this, tracked me down, fixed the problem and called to tell me. Bent the rules to do so, but he did it.

That man kept my business for his employer and made me happy. Win win.

Sorry to say I totally forget his name... ;-|

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)