"Free Internet Streaming TV and Radio"?

electrosat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
The great west
I'm loving the Edison OS mio, but I have a newbie question.

On the spec sheet for the Edison OS mio it lists "Free Internet Streaming TV and Radio".

Does this mean that the OS mio can act like a Roku? If so, how is this implemented on the TNAP image that is preloaded on the unit? Is there a plugin that has to be downloaded?

The current TNAP image has few IPTV options. Other images provide more streaming options than the SatDreamGR (which TNAP is based on). It is important to note that streaming plugins will require the latest kernel 5.2 or 5.3 to install. TNAP will be released with kernel 5.3 as soon as it is stable and thoroughly tested.

Kernel 5.3 is unstable at the time of this post. If you wish to experiment with IPTV at this time, I would suggest downloading a different image based on kernel 5.2 to the Mio's multiboot slots 2, 3 or 4.

I don't use Internet streaming on the Mio 4k. Maybe another E2 user could recommend an good E2 image for legal IP streaming to electrosat ?

I tried it, but I wasn't impressed with the choices. I use a Roku Ultra for mainline streaming, which is what IT does best. I use my Mio for satellite and OTA reception, which is what IT does best...

Trying to use a single device as a "do-it-all" is IMO, problematic.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Thanks Brian, yes I'm interested in IPTV for the unit as a matter of experimentation and to explore its possibilities. I have Rokus, etc.

What would be cool is an integrated EPG that covered sats, IPTV and OTA I have read that the current EPG is more for Europe.

I guess we will see what happens with kernel 5.3.

Dan

The few times that I ran E2 IPTV plug-ins, it worked as well as the list was accurate and up to date.

European satellite services are primarily intended for direct to home, so the broadcasters include EPG data on the satellite streams. Most NA satellite services are intended for distribution and not direct to home, so they do not include the EPG data. Also, there is money to be made by the companies who package and sell EPG data. There is no incentive to give away EPG when they can squeeze out a few more dollars and sell access to the data.

Many E2 users scrape EPG data and populate to their services list. Several NA users have experimented with building their own EPG files, but not sure how happy they have been with the results or amount of time to maintain.

Reactions: electrosat
Many E2 users scrape EPG data and populate to their services list. Several NA users have experimented with building their own EPG files, but not sure how happy they have been with the results or amount of time to maintain.

I've only been successful populating guide data for OTA channels on my Edision box. Using the workaround method primestar31 came up with. Works well.

Ok, thanks again. If anyone has an image and plug-in combination that worked for IPTV to experiment with, I would like to try it.

Sure, it's pretty simple. I I loaded the OpenVix image in the second slot by flashing it from the original TNAP image. Then go find the IPTV streaming plugin (.ipk file) and download it. Next, FTP the plugin over to your temp folder var/volatile/tmp.

Then:
  • Menu > setup > VIX > pkg install
  • memory/tmp
  • Press ok on the package
  • Press green to install.
  • Reboot the OpenVix GUI
After that you have to import playlists to give the plugin the URL information to go grab the channels. I think this procedure varies depending on which plugin you use, but one way is to copy the playlists into a text file using Notepad and then FTP it to the appropriate folder on the OS mio, eg playlists.txt.

Dan

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts