free OTA with Dish equipment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

finback670

Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I purchased a Dish Network equipment package from Radio Shack about 1-1/2 years ago with the idea that I would subscribe to Sky Angel..but alas, I never did. It's still in the box. The dish is set up so that 2 tv's can view different channels and I have 2 receivers.

1. Can I use this equipment to pick up free (legal) signals OTA?

2. Since I just bought an HDTV, can I buy a new receiver and pick up free HD signals?

Any and all advise is appreciated. I'm very new to this.

:rolleyes:

Depends on the model of the receiver. Most of them will require a Dish subscription or a signal from Dish in order to turn on the OTA tuner.

moved to OTA area

1. probably not. 2 reason why. Most older dish bioxes do not have a OTA tuner in them. the 5000, 6000 & 811 are the older boxes that do. The other issue is since the box has not been authorized ever once it downloads the info to the receiver (new software and channel guide) it will say "please call to authorize) and you cant get past that screen
2. OTA HD? Some HDTV's have a tuner built in for digital/HD channels OTA

I have a related question. I have an old directTV dish that isn't being used and I was wondering if it can be used to pick up the OTA signals like an antenna. Hopefully just run the coax to the OTA in on the Dish box. Would this work or do I have to use a normal antenna?

I have a related question. I have an old directTV dish that isn't being used and I was wondering if it can be used to pick up the OTA signals like an antenna. Hopefully just run the coax to the OTA in on the Dish box. Would this work or do I have to use a normal antenna?

No. It won't work. You need an antenna designed for UHF and/or VHF depending on what type of OTa signal youa re trying to receive.

Might work... but at the very least would require a $6 dish subscription.
You may want to quote who/what you're replying to. Will this work for the guy with the DirecTV box ? He might think so..... I presume you're responding to the guy who purchased *dish* hardware from RS but others might not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)