SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
Yet Another - Free Sample of the Week - Satellite AV - Ends 9.23.2009

Satellite AV Sample of the Week 9.23.2009

Every week, SatelliteAV will be giving away a sample product to a SatelliteGuy. The weekly prize will be awarded to a member who has posted to this thread during the previous week. The theme of the current entry requirement will be posted along with the sample information.

The receivers are manufacturing samples that have been provided by a manufacturer for testing or approval. Satellite AV has a ton of equipment to give away!

Important Notice: Satellite AV will attempt to provide as much information about the sample item, but we will not respond to questions regarding the product specifications or provide product support. Please do not PM or request product support from our sales or support team members. Failure to comply with this request will result in the termination of this contest. Please understand that instead of recycling these items, Satellite AV will offer SatelliteGuys hobbyists some pretty interesting stuff that may or may not ever be on the market!

The winner will be responsible for shipping cost and we will ship anywhere on your dime! All packages will be shipped by USPS or FedEx. If the winner wishes not to claim the prize or does not respond to our SatelliteGuys post and PM notification and provide shipping and payment information within 5 business days, the prize will be forfeited and the unit will be offered again in a future post.

This contest is open to any SatelliteGuys member in good standing with the exception of Satellite AV staff and members of their families. A random drawing will be made from the qualifying entries by a member of our staff after the closing of the drawing.

Have Fun!

Here are the specs:
Manufacturer: Captive Works
Model Name: CW-600S
Receiver type: DVBS Satellite Receiver
Chipset: Cx24138
Standard Definition MPEG2
Documentation: Yes
Blind Scan: Yes
Remote: Yes
Power Source: 90 - 220VAC, 50 - 60Hz
Shipping Weight: 5 lbs.
Package size for calculating approx. shipping charges: 14" x 14" x 5"

This unit is new and in factory packaging with remote and owners manual. Here is a link to the Captive Works website:

CaptiveWorks
cw600s.jpg

To Enter This Week's Drawing: Reply to this post and tell us about the first time you saw a Free to Air satellite system. Example information.... Where did you see it? What was playing? Was it C-band? Ku-band? When did you decide that you wanted one?

This drawing ends: 12 midnight PDT, 9/23/2009

Good Luck to everyone!

Attachments

• SATGUYS1.jpg
    SATGUYS1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 206
  • SATGUYS2.jpg
    SATGUYS2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
coolsat 6k aimed at 3 birds on a 33" dish. to present day... scanning 55.5w to 139w with a 9 ft spun, 1m with invy and 2 36" stationary. yard full of buds and pizza pans and funny looks from the neighbours.

crackt out,

C-band with hand crank actuator with saw marks to mark satellites. At my sisters house guessing around 1980 playing HBO back when it was in the clear.

The first time I saw FTA in operation was in the master control room of a local TV station. I was chatting with the engineer while they were recording a raw newsfeed (analog C-Band) of the PanAm 103 bombing. Unfortunately, I never got around to setting up a successful FTA system until 2005...

The first time that I saw FTA Digital i noperation, was when I got my Pansat 3500 up and receiving. I heard about FTA from the Skyvision catalog and learned more online. I had been using C-Band BUD for analog and 4DTV for years.
The CaptiveWorks receiver looks like a good one!
Thanks for the opportunity...

Had an 8' mesh dish from Radio Shack before VCII came out, then bought a standalone VCII that worked on the 70 mHz IF loop, subscribed to some stuff for a year or so. Divorced. No more FTA until 2005 or so , got a PCI card and hooked it to a .75m dish I had from work, can't recall the first bird I got. Still have the dish, PCI card is long gone.

Regards, Eric

My first time.

The first time I saw an FTA system was at a friends house. It was a C- band system with a 10 ft. dish and a hand crank to move the dish and it was around 1980, most everything was in the clear. My friends dad was watching a movie on HBO. I wanted one too but never got around to doing anything about it until I got one in 2005.:)

First time I saw one was in the 80's when my father had someone bring in a BUD for C band. He did not buy one at the time but as a kid I always tried to think of a way to build one. Such as with a disk from a farm lol. Then got interested in it again about two years ago and just now am trying to put one together for real. So far it is addictive.

chuck

Back in 2004 I learned about these FTA receivers in a mail order catalog. Later on I researched more about these things and purchased a Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver. It came with a 76cm dish and Samsung LNBF.

The first thing it found when looking for 123°W was nearby a DN slate that said "congratulations you has a superdish".

Thanks again for the chance to win and the contest, Brian. I've never played with a Captive Works receiver.

The first time I was exposed to FTA was in the late 80's at the fabric shop my wife worked at. They had a big BUD out back and I just saw a little while visiting her at the shop.
In the late 90's my church got a BJU system for their school which I set up and kept in tune for the years it was used, but didn't know anything else was out there until I found Satelliteguys early last year. I rescued the dish from the church after the roof was replaced. The roofers had taken it down and were going to throw it away, but being the pack rat that I am, had them set it aside in case we wanted to use it again, which never did come about. So it is now on my roof waitng to try out this CaptiveWorks reciever!

Many years ago I inherited a 10' BUD and associated analog receiver from my grandfather when he passed away. I immediately set up up and canceled my cable programming since I could get VC programming for much less money. Over time I began feed-hunting and found that I really enjoyed watching feeds and other "free" programming. Several years ago I moved and left my BUD system at my old house. However, I have set up a KU system at my current house and continue to enjoy feed-hunting and watching FTA content.

Freebie

Oh goodie, a freebie!

The first time I saw Ku FTA was in my house, after I installed a 30" dish and Traxis 2500. I think that was about 5 years ago, but I'm not sure!

I remember scanning for channels on 97° W, the old Telstar5 if my memory serves me well. RTPi and Vatican channel. I did NOT want a motorized system, which is probably why I broke down and bought a STAB 90 six months later -- just to prove to myself that I was right. I'm sure everyone here knows how THAT can happen.

I can't remember the 80's! Are you guys sure they were really here?

Back in the days when Satforums was hosted on Delphi I started reading about FTA systems. I actually bought one to pick up a single service - PAX. Lame, I know, but hey, it worked great and I and the family were happy.

Thanks Brian for the chance to off load you of some unused goodies!

The first time I saw one was in the early 80's at my uncle's house. They could not get cable back then. They since have taken down the dish and I didn't even know about it until it was gone. It was a Cband and I wanted one right there. I didn't get to play with one until I started in 2005, about a year after I started reading at this site.

Never saw one till I ordered a 3 ft Pansat dish and analog receiver. I was really into scanning and shortwave. Got the dish to listen to stuff off satellites. Was amazed I could get pics also.

The first FTA system I ever saw was a C-band setup at work. Our AV guy would dial in the analog feeds for shuttle launches in the late 90s.

It didn't take long to find a 'whole lot more' when playing with the unit.

I got my first digital FTA box after lurking for a while here. I picked up a Coolsat 4000 and connected it to the 61.5 dish from my Voom install and got to see Echostar clear stuff. I had picked up a Primestar dish I found in someone's bulk trash pile and this became my Ku dish. This expanded into a motorized Primestar dish not long after!

The first time I saw a Free to Air satellite system was when setting up a dish to see G10R. I heard about the hobby when looking at OTA capture cards on the Internet. Then after reading more on Satellite Guys, I decided to try it out. The first system was a 31 inch dish found locally and a receiver picked up on eBay.

At first I saw the spanish language channels. Then, it seems like I saw Hogan's Heroes on RTN. Could that be so?

Satellite A/V giveaway

Saw my first FTA receiver in a Skyvision catalog and stumbled on to the Satellite Guys site, researched FTA and got a receiver and was hooked.

Status
Please reply by conversation.