Free Sample of the Week - Satellite AV - Ends 9.23.2009

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
First FTA system... had to be while in Jr. High...
Went to a friends house for the weekend and was just in awe of the 12' sat dish in the yard... back when analog was king and scrambling was a myth...
Amazed by how it worked and how much stuff was "up there"...
Wasn't long and my 3 brothers and my parents all had working BUDs...

My first FTA was an 18" system from around 1994. The receiver was a little, square black box with a knob your turned to bring in the frequencies (like a radio) and a switch on the back was used to switch between horizontal and vertical polarities.

My dad needed it set up to get some sort of very specific business broadcast (on high-powered circular, no less!), so two days of aiming with a compass (and help from Orbit magazine) finally came up with the channel... and some Filipino radio. I can't remember the satellite's name now, but I'm guessing it's long gone.

Thanks!

The first time I saw FTA was in my own house. After reading information on the internet (mostly here) I purchased a CS5000 and I threw up the 60e dish I had laying around strait down my roof-line to 97W. One of the first channels I watched was JCTV. It is still the FTA channel that I spend the most time at. After that, I got a 30" dish and a motor, CS5000, had a qualitv for a while,... I guess it is addicting.

I learned about FTA right after i got rid of cable and got E* a few years back. I was looking up something on google that had something to do with E* and found this site! I bought my first dish and CS6000, got it going, and the rest is history.

The first Fta I saw was in a magazine advertising some christian Tv I never really saw one until I set up my own looking for this programing . I set it up then decided I wanted more so I got a motor.

Neighbor had a 10' back in 1980 and my brother baby sitted thier house for a weekend. I thought HBO was really cool and was hooked from then on. A few years later my Dad bought a used system and I helped install it with him. Found Dr. Scott right away and then some shopping channels. I used to find all the games for my Dad, it was just an excuse to do some surfing.

I never saw an FTA in action until I bought one. Until then I had only heard about FTA in forums and decided to try one. The first one I bought was a Pansat 300a.

1983 for me. A 10.5' mesh, Drake reciever with seperate box to move the dish
east and west. Every thing was in the clear at the time. Later upgraded to a
VC reciever. Used that setup till 1999 then divorce and move. Now just started
playing with a 90cm on KU.

Thanks,
Jim

My first FTA experiance was looking to get ANY TV from the desert of Central CA, right on the border of LA County and Kern County. There was no reception there at all (at that time) in the mid 80's, so I went looking. There was a small store I passed weekly on my way to and from work, so I stopped in and broused. I put down a deposit, and eventually paid off enough that the owner trusted me to take a system home. This was in the days before encription, but only marginally.

I had the first 10' dish (or ANY dish for that matter) in the entire area. When I moved a couple of years later, I sold the dish and all the componants to a neighbor and bought an entire new setup, including a 6' rolled steel perf dish that was on a small trailor and towed that behind my motorhome for several years.

DARN, I wish I had that back (snicker).

Photto

well, c-band when I bought my house, I used the toshiba recvr to search for wild feeds.
other than that the first FTA system I saw was the one I built after finding this website and purchasing a used pansat from a member here ;-)

The first time I saw one was in the early 80's. Uncle had a tv store and sold BUDs. I can remember watching fights at the store. Then I found this site about two years ago and started finding equipment.

This week's sample contest is closed. Thank you for the entries and letting us know about your first FTA siting.

Our staff will be drawing the winner today from the qualifying entries.

Thank you again for all of the entries! Good luck to all!

Congratulations to the winner of the Satellite AV Sample of the Week whatchel1!! Please check for a PM to provide the shipping information.

Enjoy the Captive Works CW-600s sample!

The next Satelliteav sample of the week will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks to all of the Satellite Guys and sharing a personal history lesson on you and FTA!

way to go:

Congrats to whatchel1 on winning the new receiver! - :D

And a hearty thanks to Brian and SatelliteAV for these drawings! - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)