Free TVJ TV Japan now hidden on 118.7

I have been getting the news on TV Japan free on 675. The other channel keep saying not authorize or freeze up the receiver.

No SBS+ ch 2084 has been encrypted for over a year, they now give you cctv9 for free instead, a DVB mux @ 95 has all the CCTV channels ITC besides so whats the point?

Anyway recently directv international services discontinued the indian news 24 channel which also was free, at the same time they made TV Globo ch 2134 @ 95 free preview (around the middle of Febuary) but it was also the same week as Carnival that I discovered it was in free preview, then directv encrypted again a week later and made the russian channels free for a week or 2, it was the first and last free international previews I ever saw from directv @ 95. The directv world direct previews seem completely unannounced, and kinda point less anyway since like dish @ 118 if you don't already have the special dish/LNBF for the international location setup you would not be able to see the preview and/or bother then to sign up. Plus you have to scan through all the channels daily because their is no announcement about the preview channels.

Anyway when TV Globo ch 2134 @ 95 via directv was in free preveiew I got to compare it to the compression quality available from dish and it was about equal to Globo ch 596 @ 61.5 via dish. So in other words it was horrible 1.5 mbps SD and macroblocks were flying all over the place! So I am stuck with Dish ch 814 @ 118 for Globo even though the video white balance levels seem to high. I sent an email to dish quality and I am sure they just laughed it off! But the directv international preview of Globo worked to Globo's advantage because after I got to check out the channel again since not subscribing since sept 09 I decided to sign up again, Only I signed back up for the channel through dish instead of directv since dish is running a whooping 2 mbps on Globo @ 118. :rolleyes:

Pretty sad when they have to ruin a 6 mbps channel that the programmer is sending @ 55w and make it 1 to 2 mbps and then charge you $20 for macroblock SD. The other difference I noticed between Directv and Dish internationals is that directv does not insert their own promos like dish does during the commercial breaks. So that was about the only possitive I guess.

Since signing back up for an international through dish, I notice I am now able to go online and order other internationals, including checking off that I want KBS world for 0.00 a month, I was already seeing this channel on 652 and 9850 so I am not sure what the point is but I checked it off anyway in case they ever decide to grandfather the free preview.

KBS World is free. KBS made it free so American viewers can enjoy their shows with English sub.

This happened a few years ago to channel TVJapan 640 on 61.5 satellite.

When it happened I sent off some emails to these 3 addresses explaining that non-subscribers could no longer view the free previews because the channel was hidden in the guide.

tvjwest@tvjapan.net

tvjapan@tvjapan.net

ceo@echostar.com

It was restored 2 or 3 days later! I don't know if my emails helped or not but I don't think it hurt. I suggest if you are missing TVJapan, just send a quick friendly email to let them know.

Dish Network seems to like keeping most of the Foreign channels hidden so it's possible hiding TVJapan was just a simple mistake, that they haven't caught yet.

Time to start the email campaign again since dish has once again removed the Free TVJ news portions from the days schedule in the EPG.

r10fret said:
Time to start the email campaign again since dish has once again removed the Free TVJ news portions from the days schedule in the EPG.

I emailed TV Japan once about their baseball schedule, they were extremely nice, helpful, and quick with their replies. If there's a problem, I'm sure they'll respond.

Umm, TVJapan is not a free station and the free preview is over. You want it, pay for it...... It was only in free preview because of the recent tragedy going on there. Now that they aren't doing news 24/7 it is time to go back to normal.

They use to have it open for everyone during the news times.....what was considered their news hour. It says "FREE TVJ" before the show

Umm, TVJapan is not a free station and the free preview is over. You want it, pay for it...... It was only in free preview because of the recent tragedy going on there. Now that they aren't doing news 24/7 it is time to go back to normal.

To echo and affirm what the great Iceberg said: Yes, we are talking about the multiple daily free periods of newscasts and cultural content that TV Japan labels as "FREE TV." We were well aware that the 24/7 freeview of TV Japan (NHK) was because of the earthquake and NHK (and Dish) should be applauded as it was a great source of news and amazing LIVE video, especially for those who have family in Japan. NHK's coverage was 2nd to none in the US (can't comment on other Japanese TV networks) and must have been a blessing to Japanese Americans who still have family there., while CNN did a very good job for the USA.

Last edited:
GONE!!!

Who the heck will pay $25 each month for a news channel? I found the other channels covering the earthquake contain better news footage. The news on TV Japan seems limited and cover-up.

TV Japan will resume regular programming on April 1st. There was an ad of two new shows starring April 1st.

You're right and they miss the programming from 1 low-rating tv station of Japan (NHK) which TV Japan only carries.

No Fuji, TBS, NTV, TV Toyko and Asashi news, drama, variety shows.

They sure know how to limit the TV stations of Japan from making an overseas stations to earn the cash. Most other countries create their own overseas stations.

I missed this thread somehow. I have not lost the free news portion. Watched last night on 640, again this morning. 61.5
I did however notice it cuts off right at the end of the free portion where in the past it would go over a little.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts