Free up space for more HD!

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Seems to me (as a new subscriber) that the Sirius music channels duplicate the CD music channels and that if the duplication were eliminated they could perhaps free enough bandwidth to add a couple more HD channels. How many of the CD music channels would they have to free up to add one HD channel?

They could also lose a few lame channels, such as the 24x7 infomercial channel or the bingo channel. I suppose that will upset (literally) one or two people who will bolt, but if it means adding HD and becoming the new HD satellite king then so what? How many of these lame channels would they have to free up to add one HD channel?

Dish - are you listening? Hey - wake up!

nice thought, but you have to remember that HD is a very low priority for dish network. they don't even want to add locals in true HD. if hd is a concern for you, you might have to look at other providers.

korsjs said:
nice thought, but you have to remember that HD is a very low priority for dish network. they don't even want to add locals in true HD. if hd is a concern for you, you might have to look at other providers.

I just jumped ship from Voom since they are sinking, our local cable is lame analog, and DirecTV is no better than Dish for HD...

bbtkd said:
I just jumped ship from Voom since they are sinking, our local cable is lame analog, and DirecTV is no better than Dish for HD...

I am not endorsing one or the other, but you should really check out the directv forums and see what directv has planned. having something planned is at least better than having no plans at all.

I can't imagine audio-only channels would take up very much bandwidth. I personnally thought it was a nice bonus when Dish added Sirius, and was partly why I stuck with them over VOOM, which only has about 20 music channels.

I would like to see more bandwidth freed up by getting rid of some of those shopping channels, although I'm sure Dish is getting a nice piece of the action and thus probably never would.

Zookster said:
I can't imagine audio-only channels would take up very much bandwidth. I personnally thought it was a nice bonus when Dish added Sirius, and was partly why I stuck with them over VOOM, which only has about 20 music channels.

I would like to see more bandwidth freed up by getting rid of some of those shopping channels, although I'm sure Dish is getting a nice piece of the action and thus probably never would.

they really dont take up much space... video is something like 7/8 of the signal... audio only can fit essentially 8 per spot for 1 video channel.

Dish by far has the most channels no one watches and no one subscribes to than any provider.

my only beef with direct is their channel ordering...

People With Direct Tv Are Complaining About Their Hd Picture Quality Being Down Sized

korsjs said:
I am not endorsing one or the other, but you should really check out the directv forums and see what directv has planned. having something planned is at least better than having no plans at all.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO BUY DIRECT TV NOW WITH THEIR PICTURE QUALITY FOOTBALL IS OVER AND THEY HAVE NOT UN DOWNSIZED THEIR PICTURE QUALITY

mmmm speaking of...

double channels I get all of my locals on two diff. sets.. example..
04 is fox
8404 is fox
08 pbs
8408 is pbs
(the channels are not exact however that is the pattern i see)

joeylberry said:
04 is fox
8404 is fox
08 pbs
8408 is pbs

thats not double... they are just remapped by the newer receivers.

I bought direct knowing full well all the complaints. I can tell a slight difference but it was well worth it for me. ymmv.

People would buy the downconverted signal if that is all that is available to them, particularly if they didnt know how good true HD is. Even the downconverted signal would be an improvement to the SD quality we get now. Perhaps they want to go with the downconverted signal now then upgrade everyone again to the HD making it as if they are giving someone an improved service TWICE and maybe make the true HD an even higher premium. Maybe its their next marketing scheme in addition to trying to save bandwidth.

joeylberry said:
04 is fox
8404 is fox
08 pbs
8408 is pbs
Actually, the primary pattern is:
ABC=00, CBS=01, NBC=02, FOX=03, WB=04, UPN=05, PBS=06
This is added to the city number:
LA=8000
NY=8100
DEN=8200
ATL=8300
COS=9065
PHL=8150
SFO=8220
Lexington, KY = 9205 for a starting number - I mention that only 'cause it's so strange - but the pattern holds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts