Free upgrade to HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone ever gotten D* to upgrade them to HD for free by threatening to switch providers? I could switch to E* and get a free HD receiver instead of having to pay D* $349, which appears to be a no-brainer. I'd like to stay with D* but might consider bailing to E*.

The E* freebie is rental only and D* is ownership and with much better products. You can try that tact depending on your length of service with D*, but its not really worth it.

I don't think that's a rental. I just went through the signup procedure and my monthly recurring would be $39.99 for AT120 w/locals and $9.99 for the HD package. There is no monthly equipment fee involved.

Even so, I'd be much more willing to lease a receiver for $10/mo rather than fork out $350. Even with a 2 year agreement, you're only out $240 when you're ready to upgrade instead of trying to pawn off two year old technology on eBay.

I don't know of anyone who got a free upgrade, but many (myself included) have gotten an HD upgrade for $99. There is plenty of info on how do this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=337667&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Basically you need to call D* customer retention and tell them you want to upgrade to HD, but you could do it cheaper with E* or cable. What they offer you will depend on how long you have been with D* and how much your monthly bill is. Also it can pay to call more than once if you don't like what you get the first time.

Joe

Typically a $200 credit is what is being offered currently. That is what I got for my Mom's house upgrade.

Glad I got in on the $99 upgrade from the beginning of the year.

I got $100 off so far. Gonna wait a day or so and try them back again and shoot for at least $150.

Anyone use the SIR-TS360? They said that is what is being given now. Three things I'm looking for is...

1) HD and S-Video output concurrently
2) IR, not RF, control
3) DVI/HDMI port

Thanks!

Yes, I have the 360. It has been a great unit for me. Although for others it hasn't been. I think with the latest software patch it has resolved most of the issues that people were having however.

Yes on all three of your needs.

take the $99 deal. you will get a MUCH better receiver for HD thru DirecTV then Dish for this price. Do not switch providers!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)