Freeing the PTAT tuner and keeping commercial hopping

jackdemcak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 6, 2009
Rancho Palos Verdes
If you like to hop over prime time commercials, but do not want to commit a recording tuner to PTAT on a full time basis, you can do so by using the following method:

When at least one PTAT day and one PTAT channel are selected, all PTAT programs recorded by the standard timer method will have commercial hopping enabled even though the newly recorded programs’ channels and days differ from the selected PTAT day and channel.

Example: Set PTAT to record from ABC on Thursday. When you record a prime time NBC program on Monday using the timer method, it will have commercial hopping enabled.

Using this method, you free up a recording channel for other use on 6 days of the week and still enjoy prime time commercial hopping.

If you like to hop over prime time commercials, but do not want to commit a recording tuner to PTAT on a full time basis, you can do so by using the following method:

When at least one PTAT day and one PTAT channel are selected, all PTAT programs recorded by the standard timer method will have commercial hopping enabled even though the newly recorded programs’ channels and days differ from the selected PTAT day and channel.

Example: Set PTAT to record from ABC on Thursday. When you record a prime time NBC program on Monday using the timer method, it will have commercial hopping enabled.

Using this method, you free up a recording channel for other use on 6 days of the week and still enjoy prime time commercial hopping.

Nice.
A couple of questions though using your scenario. PTAT is enabled for ABC on Thursdays only. I have DVR recordings set for various shows on NBC, CBS, and Fox on Thursdays in prime time. Will those shows need/use additional tuners to record? Also, do I have to choose a PTAT day and network where I know I have no conflicting network DVR recordings for that night and channel? If there is a "conflict" will the hopper automatically resolve it? Will it be saved as a DVR into "my recordings" or will the PTAT take priority. Either way, will it somehow get saved to "my recordings"?
FYI: I do have S244 on both my hoppers. Thanks.

I currently have the 722K. I know that if I am recording 2 live programs, I can watch a pre-recorded DVR program but I cannot channel surf.

I am thinking of upgrading to to Hopper/Joey system so I can have HD on my second TV.

I understand the PTAT feature with the new Hopper will allow me to record 4 prime time shows at once. From what I've read, it uses one of the three timers in the DVR.
What I want to know, if I have the Hopper/Joey system, will I be able to record 2 channels at once and still have the availability to channel surf live TV?
Will the PTA feature have to be disabled in order to do this?

I currently have the 722K. I know that if I am recording 2 live programs, I can watch a pre-recorded DVR program but I cannot channel surf.

I am thinking of upgrading to to Hopper/Joey system so I can have HD on my second TV.

I understand the PTAT feature with the new Hopper will allow me to record 4 prime time shows at once. From what I've read, it uses one of the three timers in the DVR.
What I want to know, if I have the Hopper/Joey system, will I be able to record 2 channels at once and still have the availability to channel surf live TV?
Will the PTA feature have to be disabled in order to do this?

The hopper has 3 tuners (4 if you have an OTA antenna) available at all times to use in any combination of live viewing and or recording. From 8:00PM to 11:00PM on the nights you chose to enable the PTAT that will be cut down to 2 available tuners as the PTAT will be using one of those 3 tuners during those hours. If you have a linked joey, any live viewing or recording from that joey will use an available hopper tuner.
The answer to your question is yes and no. If PTAT is enabled and active, and you are recording 2 other non-PTAT shows, you will have no other available tuners for live viewing. (Unless you have OTA hooked up) If PTAT in not enabled or not active, you can be recording 2 shows at the same time and still view a third show live.
I recently upgraded from (2) 622's and (1) 722 to a 2 hopper/2 joey set-up. I love it. So much more capability. Once you get used to it, the interface is so much better and user friendly. If you really want to upgrade, I would recommend going through the DIRT team. They will get you the best deal possible without having to deal with Dish CSR's on the phone. Depending on your current subscription level and upgrade status, the upgrade cost may be minimal or free. It didn't cost me anything for my upgrade. Good luck if you decide to make the move.

The hopper has 3 tuners (4 if you have an OTA antenna) available at all times to use in any combination of live viewing and or recording. From 8:00PM to 11:00PM on the nights you chose to enable the PTAT that will be cut down to 2 available tuners as the PTAT will be using one of those 3 tuners during those hours. If you have a linked joey, any live viewing or recording from that joey will use an available hopper tuner.
The answer to your question is yes and no. If PTAT is enabled and active, and you are recording 2 other non-PTAT shows, you will have no other available tuners for live viewing. (Unless you have OTA hooked up) If PTAT in not enabled or not active, you can be recording 2 shows at the same time and still view a third show live.
I recently upgraded from (2) 622's and (1) 722 to a 2 hopper/2 joey set-up. I love it. So much more capability. Once you get used to it, the interface is so much better and user friendly. If you really want to upgrade, I would recommend going through the DIRT team. They will get you the best deal possible without having to deal with Dish CSR's on the phone. Depending on your current subscription level and upgrade status, the upgrade cost may be minimal or free. It didn't cost me anything for my upgrade. Good luck if you decide to make the move.

Thanks Eagles for answering my question. That is what I needed to know.

Thanks Eagles for answering my question. That is what I needed to know.

How many total TV's will you need service to? If it's more that 2 , you may want to consider a 2 hopper set-up. If you have others using a joey (kids, room-mates ect.) those tuners on the one hopper will get used up quick. Old style TV's can still be hooked up via RCA comosite.

In answer to the questions from Eagles and Mrhermit -- I did not do any testing to see how far the PTAT anomaly I reported can be extended, or to discover any side effects of its usage, so I cannot answer your questions.

I saw that commercial hopping and PTAT were tied together such that without PTAT enabled no commercial hopping was possible. Furthermore, PTAT cannot be enabled if no network or day or channel was enabled. I set up the minimum configuration of 1 PTAT day and 1 PTAT channel. I was surprised to find that timer recorded programs from any PTAT channel on any day had commercial hopping enabled. I think this is probably a bug in the PTAT support software, so as long as the bug is not fixed, enjoy the unintended benefit of commercial hopping on the PTAT channels without dedicating a tuner for 6 days of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)